It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Highest Frequency you can Hear? 20hz - 20khz Test.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ouch. I'm 28 with tinitus and was able to hear from 20hz to about 17khz on crappy earbuds. It was extremely uncomfortable starting around 1khz up into 9-10khz. The slow ramp up almost felt like it was going to make my head explode like in Scanners.

If anyone is interested I found this site while looking for brainwave beats, it has a decent list on some frequencies and their effects:
www.lunarsight.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Great thread and very interesting topic.

In case you havent seen this yet:

url.worldo.org...

Virtual Barbershop - its a youtube video which plays like really realistic sounds of barbershop in headphones.

Pat.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lombardy Inn

Oh man, you would be doing a great thing to do that. Make that tone and put it up so it can be downloaded in full format instead of having to be converted through all that YouTube conversion!

Even better, make it 24bit!

By the way, I don't know if you've ever tried, but I remember having to do custom reverbs at my sound school and we had a huge concrete stairway with a cool reverb and we put a speaker with of course, a microphone. Then the tone from 20hz to 20khz was cranked through the stairway and me & my friend were just opening the door all the way downstairs, and the first thing we hear is this HUGE bass trembling the stairway and man, it sounded like an alien spacecraft, haha!

We got some really cool reverbs out of it though!

Man, I understood you on that Mp3 cycle. I hear the difference between Mp3 and Wave/Aiff. But that is only achieved through training the ears to listen to those lower and upper frequencies. Because it's mostly there they dissapear when you convert to Mp3!

Wave = Warm/Full/Fat sound.
Mp3 = More thin/Cold sound.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by SalkinVictory]

[edit on 18-3-2010 by SalkinVictory]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well, I heard the very beginning. at 14khz, I stopped hearing the high pitch but there was another noise there which I think might be some sort of feedback which I heard until 18khz...so either 14khz or 18khz if the sound I heard after was part of it, but not sure why it suddenly went much lower.

about halfway through, I felt like it was trying to reprogram my brain...then my head exploded at about 1khz..luckily I had duct tape closeby

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tappy
Am I the only one here who can't hear a darn thing below 200Hz?

Feeling lonely...

Maybe I'll just blame the speakers. On all three PC's I've tried it on.

Perhaps.
Might also be misidentification/untrained senses. below 20htz, the waves are moving really slow and wide, so it almost has a sort of scuffing sound that seems a bit broken up..at about 20, the waves come close enough to sound unbroken and clear.

could be the speakers also though, ya...I use headphones.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have a screen name.

But seriously, if I was motivated I could find most of the people posting on any forum.

If someone wants to know my age that bad, they could have had it already. It isn't difficult to do.

The assumption that a screen name is armour is ridiculous.

It is like locking your car door when driving. Sure, it makes it more difficult for someone to jump in your car or reach in through the window for your purse. By the motivated person could still break your window while you sit in bumper to bumper.

If someone wants my particulars, or yours, they probably already have them.

Originally posted by jinx880101
reply to post by ppk55

being a conspiracy site and all, I think this might be a great way to obtain people's age. 20hz was very clear.

Okay, that is soooo NOT what I was doing!

My gosh, if you guys don't want to post your age, you are not obligated to. Seriously, it was just for interest sake....

& Good for you on the 20hz! Wish I could hear it too.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cerberus00

If anyone is interested I found this site while looking for brainwave beats, it has a decent list on some frequencies and their effects: www.lunarsight.com...

Aaah..now were talking, this is the type of stuff I like.
Thanks for posting that link.

* Brainwave Frequencies - These are frequencies associated with various mental states. Using brainwave entrainment, you can coax your brainwaves to a certain frequency, and in doing so, achieve the mental state associated with that frequency.

"Healing" Frequencies - These are frequencies that various parties claim could be used to heal illnesses of different kinds, or stimulate some region of the body (chakras). The medium used to do this varies - some of these parties used devices that generated EM fields which were applied to a precise part of the body, while others used vibration and sound. (I don't have any experience with using EM fields - most of my personal toying about with this stuff uses a sound medium.)

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

I'll be 33 in a few days...I have always had superb hearing

I heard every bit of this vid...and a few others it linked to

rock on

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

Well that's a couple up from me and I'm 11 years younger... Congrats!
Guess I'm gonna need to lay off the bass.

Edit to fix stupid mistake...I hate math.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I'm 24 and i heard up to 20 khz but i could only just hear 20. The lower ranges were all fine.

Oh and for some reason the lowest and highest ranges really hurt my ears. It's always been that way and if you crank up the volume it feels like someone is sticking a needle in my ear.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Just be careful on which brainwave beats you start out with. There are a ton of programs that start off small and move on to higher frequencies. I remember using one of the songs that came with Holosync I believe, one of the introductory songs, meant to help open your 3rd eye and such.

After listening to the song for a bit, shorter than the time specified in the instructions, I felt something in the center of my head expanding and I could hear a kind of pressure like pop. I guess it could be likened to blowing into a crumpled water bottle and hearing it expand to normal form. Anyway, after that I had a headache for 3 days and stopped listening to it. Maybe my pineal gland needs an easier ride for starters. Hehe

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I have the same problem but with trance music... If it's above say, 150 bpm with a lot of high pitched sounds I feel like I'm going insane...it doesn't even have to be loud.

I suppose everyone boils at different temperatures.
I envy people who can withstand that type of noise, almost feels like there is something wrong with me or I'm not 'evolved' enough to handle it

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cerberus00

Just be careful on which brainwave beats you start out with. There are a ton of programs that start off small and move on to higher frequencies. I remember using one of the songs that came with Holosync I believe, one of the introductory songs, meant to help open your 3rd eye and such. After listening to the song for a bit, shorter than the time specified in the instructions, I felt something in the center of my head expanding and I could hear a kind of pressure like pop. I guess it could be likened to blowing into a crumpled water bottle and hearing it expand to normal form. Anyway, after that I had a headache for 3 days and stopped listening to it. Maybe my pineal gland needs an easier ride for starters. Hehe

Sorry to hear about your headache. Must have been hell.

I must admit I'm one to push it to the limits... Even with this audio, when I felt I couldn't take it I just pushed through out of curiosity. Luckily, it got better not worse.

And wow, I didn't even know something like that existed until you just mentioned it. Very intriguing indeed.

Maybe I should try it...?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
[edit on 2010/3/18 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I lost it at 9kHZ couldnt hear 10 - 11, heard 12 - 13kHZ then nothing after.

I lipread to get by in life.

Not even my close family know I am basically deaf.

Long story...

Ive got perfect eyes and I am happy with that, if I could chose between the two.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

well in 20khz it drives me madddd...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I lost it at 9kHZ couldnt hear 10 - 11, heard 12 - 13kHZ then nothing after.

I lipread to get by in life.

Not even my close family know I am basically deaf.

Long story...

Ive got perfect eyes and I am happy with that, if I could chose between the two.

Mine cuts out at 9 too, but I'd never thought of myself as deaf. I've just got used to not being able to hear unless the person faces me and I have my glasses on. (Eyes are worse than ears and now I have hydatids crawling in my good eye.) As a masseuse, patients have often wanted to confide in me, and later would beg me to not tell anyone. As I never wear glasses when working and they were usually lying face-down when telling their secrets, I could promise to never ever reveal a thing.

My family would hardly care about my hearing. They used to use me for target practice with a 22 rifle, seeing who could shoot closest to me without hitting me. Several shots grazed my ears.

However my low ranges go way down below 20Hz - still. I used to hear if my mother started up our little old Austin to pick my brothers and me up from school. Our house was 2k away, (about a mile,) and there was a town in-between. I could hear the sound through my feet. And I could never understand why other people couldn't hear the elephants talking.

I doubt I'm exceptional, so I expect our feet are set up to work as ears for the low frequencies, but thousands of years of wearing footwear is robbing us of that ability.

- I'm 56 and was listening via a reasonable on-board sound card and a $15 Microsoft head-set. The results were the same as those from a professional hearing test at 20.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
heard them all canceled out at 19khz I think at 19 or 20 but i heard it all. Plus now i got a headache lol

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
what I hear might not be ear-hearing. Could be my brain interpreting it as sound because it is detecting a wave function.

You have just described the process of hearing.
There is no such thing as sound, on its own.
Sound is the mind's interpretation of waves conveyed to the brain.
It makes no difference whether the sound is conveyed through the ears, a hearing aid in a tooth, or the feet.

Considering that sound does not exist without a listener, and in just the same way colour does not exist without a viewer, and "solids" are mostly empty space with minute pieces of something which may be only energy whirling around making patterns in it, well, to experience existence as we do is really quite magical, isn't it.

The only "real" thing in this world is friendship, IYAM.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Mine cuts out at 9 too, but I'd never thought of myself as deaf. I've just got used to not being able to hear unless the person faces me and I have my glasses on. (Eyes are worse than ears and now I have hydatids crawling in my good eye.) As a masseuse, patients have often wanted to confide in me, and later would beg me to not tell anyone. As I never wear glasses when working and they were usually lying face-down when telling their secrets, I could promise to never ever reveal a thing.

My family would hardly care about my hearing. They used to use me for target practice with a 22 rifle, seeing who could shoot closest to me without hitting me. Several shots grazed my ears.

However my low ranges go way down below 20Hz - still. I used to hear if my mother started up our little old Austin to pick my brothers and me up from school. Our house was 2k away, (about a mile,) and there was a town in-between. I could hear the sound through my feet. And I could never understand why other people couldn't hear the elephants talking.

I doubt I'm exceptional, so I expect our feet are set up to work as ears for the low frequencies, but thousands of years of wearing footwear is robbing us of that ability.

- I'm 56 and was listening via a reasonable on-board sound card and a $15 Microsoft head-set. The results were the same as those from a professional hearing test at 20.

Your family used to use you for target practice!

Leaves me speechless, since I have a keyboard I guess all I can type is, I hope you overcame the difficulties you must have had.

I suffered from mumps when I was a kid, that resulted in severe hearing loss and I can hear low and some high pitches but I am deaf to speech due to the pitch levels it falls under.

It was a bit daunting when I was younger as I had to prove that I was smart enough to attend a normal school due to them believing I could not pay attention in classes. I had to teach myself to lip read and if I didnt do that, I would probably not be who I am right now.

I think its really important that anyone who suffers from hearing loss should remind society that being deaf does not mean you are dumb in both intelligence or speech.

Ive put up with a lot of prejudice for it and that is why I ultimately smashed the hearing aids I was given and have never looked back.

Its quite amazing really, if you have poor eyesight and need glasses, most people think you are smart and tend to listen to what you have to say.

If you have bad hearing and wear hearing aids. People think you are stupid and that you must be spoken to as if you are incapable of matching an intelligent conversation.

Its one of the few things that angers me as I remember being around 12 years old, in high grade level classes, being taken out and forced to sit down with a special class consisting of only myself and read fricken Noddy books or twinkle twinkle little star with words bigger than the top line of an eye test almost.

I mean what the heck is wrong with some people.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by XXXN3O]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join