It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet just hit the Sun!!!! (Update Asteroid or Comet is now incoming. 3rd impact)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So basically nothing is going to happen because of these comets hitting the sun, correct?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

That's pretty dam impressive. It's that an optical illusion or is that object speeding up at it nears the sun? Looks like it's pulled in. Wouldn't surprise me what with the suns gravity being so strong.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
But nothing came out?
I was expecting a huge flare. Unless it was made out of some light material?
Do you have any idea of the comets size?

Of course nothing came out. Comets are mostly ice and dust.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Awesome thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
that's freakin sweet!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Kepler's Laws. As you orbit around an object, at distances where the orbit radius is shorter, you will go faster.
At least, I think I'm remembering that correctly.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Thank you for posting, I was hoping I would come onto ATS tonight and easily locate a video of it smashing into the sun! Awesome.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Gee after watching that I can't help but wonder what if that comet had of hit Mercury , would it have pushed the planet right into the Sun ?

That comet looked huge , was there any report as to the size of the thing ?

Ha that thing would have DESTROYED Mercury. Hell, it might as well have been Mercury.

i'm curious too why there was no "splash" of any kind. Not taht i know anything about the sun really. I'd like to see the next few parts of the video to see if anything comes out the other side of the sun, cause it might have just gone around the back side, only looking like it collided.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this interesting event. I've been watching SOHO off and on for a few years and I don't recall ever seeing a comet strike.

Curious how big of an object (comet, asteroid or otherwise) it would take for the sun to react in such a way that it could cause a problem for us here on earth or is that impossible?

Being a science fiction fan seeing that object heading for the sun reminded me of Starship Troopers where the bugs would send asteroids towards the earth.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
My first thought was that this was a fake. Then... I recognized Phage was on the thread
Then I recognized it's a direct shot from SOHO.

But, since I went to a little debunking before I read the thread I just felt like sharing this:

Diameter of the sun: 865,000 miles
Speed of comet: 175,000 MPH
This object seemed to be around 85,000 MPH based on a rough estimate of the sizes on the screen - which is plently close enough for me! At first thought I figured this thing was going a bazillion MPH but I was obviously wrong.

Glad to hear those don't have much impact (pun intended) on us here on earth.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Could this be a sign of more things heading this way?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
You know - I don't know if anyone mentioned this but while watching the gif movies of the solar output I noticed some rather disturbing events, which I will share with you:

the first movie is located HERE

2010/02/17 13:19 Solar output is darkened by a factor of at least 3. Cause undetermined

2010/02/22 07:19 Solar brightness briefly multiplied by at least a factor of 100 in intensity. Large magnetic filament is seen spanning sun from center to some location underneath sun.

2010/02/28 07:19 Solar brightness AGAIN intensifies by at least a factor of 2

2010/03/08 01:19 Image of sun is blackened - most likely due to lens being hit by CME, temporarily blinding the camera.

the other movie that blew my mind is found HERE

I can't say in words what just watching the movie itself cant say for me. Watch it and you'll see what I mean!

The images that you've posted that show all of those recent objects hitting the sun is awesome - that second comet was HUGE! at least the size of earth imho...

I just wonder why NASA doesn't announce them. sure, there may be thousands of them, but I feel they should at least announce them lol.

They probably do, just haven't located where yet

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I never realized how much miscellaneous crap there was floating around in space until I watched these vids.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The object grows dramatically in size as it approaches, which suggests it's coming from the other side of the Sun.

I wonder: If there was indeed another planet, or large body hidden behind the Sun, as recent threads have suggested (such as Nibiru) would the comet have hit that before/instead of hitting the Sun?
Could this explain the lack of impact reaction from the Sun.

However, if this were the case would we have seen something (debris?) from the planet/dwarf that was hit instead?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If you look in the looped video the OP posted, the first 'comet' that hit the Sun seemed to trigger the CME, the second (bright) projectile was almost on the same line/path.

I wish I knew how to take the photo and draw a line, but they look like the exact same vector to the naked eye. Which then makes me think weird things.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Check out this link, select lascoC3, and choose the images from 2010/03/13. There appears to be 2 comets or asteroids at 07:42 onwards. They are on the same trajectory as the others, and can be seen just above the black line, midway between the edge of frame and the sun. They are just above the brightest spot there.

Regards

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW
If you look in the looped video the OP posted, the first 'comet' that hit the Sun seemed to trigger the CME, the second (bright) projectile was almost on the same line/path.

I wish I knew how to take the photo and draw a line, but they look like the exact same vector to the naked eye. Which then makes me think weird things.

Looks like something deliberately shooting at the sun!!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

Not an expert but Im enjoying this thread.

I dont think it is growing. A comet has a tail as the sun melts the ice from it.
It would make sence that the ice will melt faster as it gets closer to the sun, therefore the tail gets much bigger and makes it look like its growing.

It also mean it will burn up completely once it hits the corona which is 1mil degrees. It will not effect the sun at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I just have to say something at this point, it completely amazes me that some of you DO NOT READ all the posts.

It has been explained numerous times that the brightness you see IS NOT the size of the comet, it is the glow caused by sunlight reflecting off gases and dust, the actual size of the SOLID part of the comet is in fact not that big, the more dust and gas the brighter the glow.
Also any picture is going to show greater glow due to the nature of camera's, try taking a photo of a candle flame and you'll see.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJOldskool
reply to post by McGinty

Not an expert but Im enjoying this thread.

I dont think it is growing. A comet has a tail as the sun melts the ice from it.
It would make sence that the ice will melt faster as it gets closer to the sun, therefore the tail gets much bigger and makes it look like its growing.

It also mean it will burn up completely once it hits the corona which is 1mil degrees. It will not effect the sun at all.

You're probably right. But, it's unlikely that chance would have us see the event at 90 degrees.

It could well be that the comet is moving away from the cam towards the Sun and the effects you correctly describe have been optically reduced by this. However, it could also be moving towards us.

So, there's still a possibility the lack of solar reaction could be because it impacted another body on the far side of the Sun - though i take your point that this is not proof in itself since the comet may well have burnt up before impact.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join