It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a question on dreaming.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Quick question. I can't figure out how to regularly dream. My wife has dreams and shares her amazing adventures with me which always entertain me but make me jealous. She is very creative and I am not so maybe thats it but it drives me crazy. So can anyone give me tips on how to dream regularly? Right now I have maybe 3 dreams a year on average which I can never recall later. Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

No Alcohol
No Pot
No Soporific

Should work...but you can't force it really. I just know smoking Weed can kill your ability to dream.

ps. 7 Hours sleep!

[edit on 12-3-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

All that is covered. Quit drinking and dope 5 years ago. I get 7 hours of sleep a night. Thanks though and anything else is appreciated.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

You need to wake up after every dreaming sequence, in order to remember what you have dreampt.
There are machines (Dream Machines) that have been on the market for years that, with the use of electrodes, read your brain waves to determine what state of sleep you are in.
Once the machine determines that you are exiting a dream phase, an alarm sounds and you will awaken.
When awakening, you will be surpised that you will remember what you have just dreampt.
keep a journal on your bedside to record your dreams for analysis as soon as you wake- do it quickly before you forget!
KK

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

All that is covered. Quit drinking and dope 5 years ago. I get 7 hours of sleep a night. Thanks though and anything else is appreciated.

I can't find a consistent study on drugs (anything that effects the brain) and dreaming.

I sleep and it's a horror, every night is a terrible horror nightmare, imagine the worst possible things known in your life, and then imagine a dream 100x that effect.

Yep sometimes wanting to dream more, like I used to is actually a bad thing.

I dream several dreams a night, all nightmares,

I'm creative, genuine, and all the get go.

Trust me, no, don't trust me, just believe me, (belief based on no facts) that dreaming regularly can be a bad thing.

You know when... well since you admit to using drugs, having a dream you did a drug, whatever you did, then woke up and felt like you were actually using it, and mixing reality and your dream together, and feeling actually the effects of that drug, well imagine being tortured in a dream, and waking up, in reality feeling the same exact pain.

Not great, let life be what it is, dreams and all, trust me, I wanted to dream more, and now I do, I won't tell you how, and suggest you NOT to look around for a way how to!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

thx i will definitely keep that in mind.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

The "white bread" dream thread has just been deleted. Do you know why?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

thx i will definitely keep that in mind.

Just for the other person who posted.

If you drink alot, nearly everyday, not judging, I posted in another persons thread on this, people who drink, do drugs alot, when they quit, or sleep in the daytime during a period of soberness, the brain tries to 'recharge' and you'll enter REM sleep quickly to get the recharge, which will last for a long period of time, and you'll most likely wake up during a deep stage of sleep, that will cause you to feel unaware of where you are, or who you are, or whats going on, or if reality is real, waking up in those stages causes temporary weirdness lol.

But can cause crazy dreams, so if you are, of course get off the 'dope' or go to an AA meeting, it'll be beneficial in the long run, but just being sober doesn't cause more dreams, no study out there will support this.

If you really want, what I suppose is underlining what I believe is true, try daydreaming, whether you work in an office, or at a factory, take time and work on daydreaming, it's controllable, and more creative than a sleep dream, really just let your brain go and express itself, its a much better alternative, when you're asleep your frontal lobe is inactive, which means your reasoning is all but abandoned, that is sleep, day dreaming keeps that alive and thriving part of your brain active.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I am an insomniac and I have very vivid dreams often, sometimes even when only sleeping a few hours. Very rarely can I not remember...

Stimulation is the main thing. There must be something on your mind but preferably almost subconscious, like something you do not have a 'time limit' to figure out. Often we dream about things we just witnessed or interacted with.

External stimuli WHILE asleep help too. You will find (well, maybe not YOU specifically) when you hear a sound outside like a person talking, power tools, etc your brain will incorporate them in to your dream, I believe is a way of 'explaining' this sound to your subconscious (giving it a basis).

There is no such thing as someone who does not dream ever but many people do not recall their dreams. Kind of like you get the feeling you know a person, just dont know where, you know you dreamed but not the specifics. It is not hard to forget a dream.

I think you could try hypnosis and figure out what you're 'missing', but given what you said I have my doubts you actually CAN be hypnotised...

And as has been said there is the opposite. I have many nightmares and flashbacks, have to take the good with the bad... amazing dreams can make me wake up ecstatic and in a great mood for days, nightmares have woken me up screaming and leaving massive holes in the walls...

But to reiterate mind stimulation before hand will help.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Hi, ventian

If you sleep in anything like the usual way, then you dream every 90-120 minutes or so. You don't remember because sleep, for whatever reason, messes up the formation of long term memory.

Yes, waking up will improve dream recall, but I don't think that that is a practical method for most people. Besides, it makes you liable to sleep paralysis and other complications of poor sleep.

Many, many people improve dream recall by the simple maneuver of starting to keep a dream journal. When you wake up in the usual way, think a little bit before you charge off into your day. See if you can find something to write down that day. And then really write down all that you remember. Or, dictate it into a voice recorder... or whatever, but do something to record the memories that you do have.

It make take a week or two, but it's a good bet you will remember some of your dreams; maybe only the last one of the night, but sometimes a few... maybe as many as five or six on a good night.

Oh yeah, there's no guarantee that your dreams will turn out to be as interesting as your spouse's seem to be
. But, at least you'll have some idea of what's going on.

The journal thing isn't magic. It may well work by teaching yourself to wake up a little bit after a dream. You're "almost awake" anyway when you have what most people call dreams.

So, if you become aware that the plan is interfering with your sleep, then either resolve in advance that only dreams that survive until morning "count," or get a casette recorder with big, easy to use, buttons to record a memo, so you can get back to sleep without worrying that you've missed a dream.

Good luck with it.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
reply to post by KRISKALI777

The "white bread" dream thread has just been deleted. Do you know why?

Probably the giant N word photo on it!

Not surprised, that kind of stuff is highly controlled here, if a thread can't be sustained in a polite manner, it'll be removed.

Discretion of the moderators.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

U2U friend!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Yes, sorry to all then. But this silly song exists, right?.....of offtopic sorry.

A lot of Pot smokers tell they just don't dream or they can'r remember, so drugs must have an effect for me. I mean, all my friends that smoked or smoke weed are saying the same.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I always dream when I sleep longer than usual, 9-10 hours , if I'm not to tired and clear of mind.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Not sure how to naturally dream but I dream every time I drink alcohol. Even if it's just a single can before bed I'll always have some weird dream.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
We all dream.

The difference is that some don't remember their dreams.

Why? Not sure. I don't sleep well, at all, but I dream a lot and I remember most of them, maybe because I don't sleep well and wake up just after most dreams.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This technique only works if you wake up naturally (no alarm), but what you do when you wake up, keep your eyes closed and head on pillow help with dream recollection. Seems that getting up immediately after waking up, makes you tend to forget the dream. I can recall my dreams the majority of the time using this technique. Alarms clocks, phone rings and be awaken from sleep typically ruin any chance of recall of dreams.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I recommend taking melatonin before going to sleep. It is the naturally occuring dream hormone in your body and a really effective antioxidant. It will make your sleep quality better and while doing so, bring about more dreams. This is in contrast to "sleeping pills" which worsen the quality of sleep and usually kills your dreams.

[edit on 3/12/2010 by above]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
We all dream.

The difference is that some don't remember their dreams.

Why? Not sure. I don't sleep well, at all, but I dream a lot and I remember most of them, maybe because I don't sleep well and wake up just after most dreams.

This fits in with the way it is for me and my other half. He sleeps like a log and remembers only a handful of dreams during the year, I on the other hand have never slept well, I have trouble staying asleep and have always had very vivd dreams that I remember 95% of the time after waking

Phoenix

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Try taking 2 Tylenol before going to bed. It will relax you. Then you might get to sleep and dream. Don't do it all the time though. Eventually you can dream without it. Don't take Tylenol PM because it has a sleep aid in it, and it will make you very groggy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join