It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9mm vs .380

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Not looking for fun. looking for functionality, but I appreciate the input anyway!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Between a Taurus and a Sig, I would choose the Sig unless it was grossly mistreated and beaten up. If you are going to buy a Sig though, but a Sig P250. They have interchangable slide/barrel assemblies so you can change between 9mm, .40, & .45. I understand that you had wrist surgery recently and don't want to aggrivate it, but truth be told, the 9mm will wreak mor havoc on your wrist as far as a shapping motion than a .40 or .45.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

A WWII vet told me during the war he picked up a German Luger 9mm pistol and fired it a a helmet. He did the same with his 45 pistol.

One went through both sides of the helmet.
The other made a dent in it.

Which do you think was better?

K, I am not tyring to be rude, but for the last time I KNOW THAT .45's are more powerful. That's not what I am asking about.

Edit becuase now I am wondering if it was the 9 that went through....

[edit on 11-3-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Sorry didn't see your previous post about your hand surgery. If you want best quality from my own personal experience I have owned a few Taurus semi's and quality is hit or miss with them, you may get lucky but they are cheaper than the others for a reason. If you want quality Kimber, H&K, Sig, Glock, Springfield, Beretta are examples of good quality firearms. Taurus is not in the same league as those makers.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist

Sorry didn't see your previous post about your hand surgery. If you want best quality from my own personal experience I have owned a few Taurus semi's and quality is hit or miss with them, you may get lucky but they are cheaper than the others for a reason. If you want quality Kimber, H&K, Sig, Glock, Springfield, Beretta are examples of good quality firearms. Taurus is not in the same league as those makers.

Thats certainly what I have been reading. Do you personally have an opinion about rugers? What about the Walther line of pistols?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
There's enough .380 and 9mm going around. You just might have to hunt for it. If you're ordering online it isnt a problem.

gun-deals.com...

My local shop has a nice stock of both in typical round ball and personal defense flavors at, surprisingly, acceptable prices.

Of 9mm handguns I have a KelTec PF-9 and a Beretta 92FS. I carried the PF-9 everyday until my purchase of a Taurus TCP .380. The Beretta is much better than the PF-9 IMO. It shoots smoother and more accurately. It's just too large for me to carry everyday. I use it for IDPA. The PF-9 has a thousand+ rounds through it so far and it's been very reliable after it's initial very long break-in period of 500+ rounds.

The Taurus is still very new to me and I have barely broken it in with about 250 rounds. 250 good rounds. Only one failure and it was a dud primer. I have read some stories of people getting TCP's with slide problems and magazine problems but they always have a happy ending usually a factory replacement and flawless functioning from that point forward. If I had to guess I'd say the issue is as simple as first run models vs. later run models.

The PF-9 is easy to carry tucked in the waist band and the TCP is easy both in the waist band and in the pocket which is how I carry it with a nice grippy pocket holster.

I chose the TCP over the Kel-Tec 3AT and Ruger LCP simply because of how the grip felt in my hand. Of the three the TCP was most comfortable for me to grip and feel in control of. Guns are a lot like shoes in that way. I didnt buy it with the intention of replacing my PF-9 as an everyday carry but so far it's reliability has me pleased and it's size and weight have made it my preferred carry.

Find a nice shop that will let you molest all of their guns. Between word of mouth and actually getting to try them out at the range molestation is a primary decider for me when buying a new gun. Does it make you feel good to touch it or does it make you feel ashamed?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I don't personally own any Rugers but know people that do and they are good guns and have been around a very long time so imho Ruger is a good choice. Walther I don't know anything about but some of there new guns look nice, don't know anything more about them beyond that though.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Ive definitely looked at kel-tecs, both the pf-9, and the p11(which I thought was going to be what I'd buy), but the long trigger pull is an issue right now because of my lack of hand strength.

I can fire it, but after about three pulls my hand really starts to ache.

I definitely see what you mean though, about getting them in your hands. Never know until you feel it up and down, right

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Alomst forgot
Backpage
there like Cregslist, only with balls..
check the sporting good for sale add's to see what folks have listed in their privite sales and... good luck budy

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist

If you want quality Kimber, H&K, Sig, Glock, Springfield, Beretta are examples of good quality firearms. Taurus is not in the same league as those makers.

Absolutely. H&K is outstanding, and if you can find a gen1 carbon fiber Glock grab that sucker up. And with a hand healing this is a great reason to practice offhand shooting!

FN 5.7x28 is a great little pistol w/little kick, but is a bit expensive.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Alomst forgot
Backpage
there like Cregslist, only with balls..
check the sporting good for sale add's to see what folks have listed in their privite sales and... good luck budy
\
Wow, never heard of that site before. Time to do some shopping!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

I have never had any problem with a properly broken in Bersa or Taurus auto loader. The only issue I have run across is the use of cheap steel case bullets. Steel case bullets sometimes cause gouging in the softer aluminum recievers. All that means is that you can't run el cheapo ammo.

Edit to add:

Recently American Rifleman ran a test on nine sub compact .380s. Sig Sauer, Walther, Magnum Research, Ruger, and all of the rest had issues.

I am concerned about the number of cycling malfunctions, most commonly failures to feed and chamber. With one exception, every gun experienced these problems. Even here, we have to put matters in context. Kahr Arms, for example, includes the same manual with each of its pistols, regardless of size or chambering. That manual tells the buyer that he or she needs to run at least 200 rounds through the pistol before pressing it into service. That is coldly realistic advice that all of the other manufacturers would be well-advised to emulate.

With most of the guns, the greater number of glitches came when they were new out of the box. As the shooting wore on, the frequency of malfunctions declined. I would also suggest that when breaking in your chosen .380, you should make sure the gun is well-lubricated, perhaps even over-lubricated. Shoot until malfunctions stop.

Concealed Carry 21st Century Style - AR Magazine

Even the expensive guns failed to feed and operate properly when used with out being broken in. Buying a Sig, Walther, or Ruger isn't a magic cure. In fact the Ruger LCP .380 under went recalls for several issues.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Last thing from me before I let those who really know what their talking about take over... you should peek in on my topic 'What really happens in a gun fight"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

good stuff there for a shooter to know an dwe were just talking about the 308

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Yeah some have good results with Taurus but I haven't been lucky with them myself as far as there Semi's go, never used el-cheapo ammo since I do my own reloads. I have a Taurus .454 Raging Bull that I absolutely love but has massive recoil and its quality I think rival's S&W and Colt revolvers, next gun I'm gonna add to my collection is another Taurus revolver chambered in .45 Long Colt/ 410 shotshell should be a fun combo. Maybe Taurus quality has improved through the years with there semi's last time I owned one was 6 years ago but there revolvers are very good.

[edit on 11/3/10 by Aliensdoexist]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Date of manufacture may be the issue. All of the ones I've shot were made with in the last three years.

Let us know how you like the Judge or Public Defender after you get it worn in.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Not looking for fun. looking for functionality, but I appreciate the input anyway!

Well here is an actual article that shows a test of 7.62x25 , 9mm and .45 ACP and a 357 Magnum being fired into a kevlar helmet.

BOX o Truth Test

The 7.62x25 is the only one that penetrated. how's that for functionality?

I have all sorts of toys , I have a Walther PPKS in 380 that I got from my father when he was on the job. (It was his ankle gun)

I still have my 1st Glock (G19 in 9mm) , I bought Back my G23 when I left my last Job. (.40) , I'm currently trying to sell my Glock 30 (.45)

The reason I said the CZ-52 was Fun is because I look at my other guns as "Tools" and the 7.62x25 was sort of a novelty to me. If you would take a moment and research the info I'm giving you , you may see that it could be a worthy "Tool" for you. It's cheap , ammo is cheap and it's a proven to penetrate , and handles fairly easy. I'm damn sure I know more about firearms than you , but my knowledge is limited to modern firearms. I was so sure that I knew everything that my ego made me lose $100 to a buddy. When someone brings something to your attention , instead of dismissing it. Take a second and read it. I already have all the guns I need for 2 lifetimes (except for that CZ-52)...lol I'm not typing this for my health , I'm typing this because I thought it could be of benefit to you. Good Luck and I Hope you pick the right tool for the job.

SEMPER FIDELIS

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Date of manufacture may be the issue. All of the ones I've shot were made with in the last three years.

Let us know how you like the Judge or Public Defender after you get it worn in.

I will definately let you know, need to save up some more funds though because my most recent gun set me back quite a bit Kimber 8400 Tactical .308 bolt action rifle and got a Hensoldt/Zeiss scope on top.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sig P6. Old school construction!

I consider it the 9mm single stack of the century because it's a cheap Sig that can be had for less than 400 and a spring kit for $25 so you have the right lbs. with different ammo. It's not much bigger than a Glock sub compact, but more accurate.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thaknobodi
Sig P6. Old school construction!

I consider it the 9mm single stack of the century because it's a cheap Sig that can be had for less than 400 and a spring kit for $25 so you have the right lbs. with different ammo. It's not much bigger than a Glock sub compact, but more accurate.

Thanks for that! Is the P6 similar to the p225? If so, they are near the top of my list(assuming I can find one in my range)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Well here is an actual article that shows a test of 7.62x25 , 9mm and .45 ACP and a 357 Magnum being fired into a kevlar helmet.

BOX o Truth Test

The 7.62x25 is the only one that penetrated. how's that for functionality?

I have all sorts of toys , I have a Walther PPKS in 380 that I got from my father when he was on the job. (It was his ankle gun)

I still have my 1st Glock (G19 in 9mm) , I bought Back my G23 when I left my last Job. (.40) , I'm currently trying to sell my Glock 30 (.45)

The reason I said the CZ-52 was Fun is because I look at my other guns as "Tools" and the 7.62x25 was sort of a novelty to me. If you would take a moment and research the info I'm giving you , you may see that it could be a worthy "Tool" for you. It's cheap , ammo is cheap and it's a proven to penetrate , and handles fairly easy. I'm damn sure I know more about firearms than you , but my knowledge is limited to modern firearms. I was so sure that I knew everything that my ego made me lose $100 to a buddy. When someone brings something to your attention , instead of dismissing it. Take a second and read it. I already have all the guns I need for 2 lifetimes (except for that CZ-52)...lol I'm not typing this for my health , I'm typing this because I thought it could be of benefit to you. Good Luck and I Hope you pick the right tool for the job.

SEMPER FIDELIS

I do appreciate the advice. But I have looked at Makarovs. I am not interested in them, mostly because of their ammo. I was not dismissing you.

As for you being 'damn sure you know more than me" about firearms, well, thats why I am asking for advice. But I HAVE done my research, and have narrowed it down to certain things that I know would work for me. Which is, again, why I ask about those specific things.

I never claimed I knew more than anyone(in fact, i said the opposite). But it does get a little frustrating, when I ask about specific things, and the thread then gets overrun with 'well, you should just buy a .45" comments.

I dont have the experience, but I certainly HAVE done the research. Its not about ego, its about wanting to get the right piece for ME, not the one that is biggewst and baddest, or coolest.

As you said, I am looking for a tool. When someone is looking for a flat head screw driver, trying to convince them that a nail gun is what they need isnt really productive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join