It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9mm vs .380

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Both calibers are good....and has many have said a .380 is just a short 9mm....so having both is not a bad idea, as long as you get a case trimmer, you can reload, cracked 9mm rnds by cutting the casing down to a .380

The .380 is predominately a womens gun, due to less recoil and being more user friendly, and easier to conceal.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kurt Turner
If you use a .380 with wadcutters the stopping power is much superior to the 9mm. The bullet of the 9mm moves through the air to fast and ill just put a hole in you which isn't as fatal as a slower moving .380 which will knock you on your ass and take a big chunk out of your body.
.380 Wins

Not exactly correct.

A 9mm Full Metal Jacket round will indeed over penetrate and be less effective than a Wad Cutter.

That is why pteridine suggested a defensive round, which would be a Jacketed Hollow Point.

A good Jacketed Hollow Point WILL NOT over penetrate. WILL expand. And WILL create a massive wound channel. And WILL be every bit as effective as a .380 Wad Cutter.

The MOST effective round is the round that YOU can precisely place on target.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm gonna mix things up a bit and suggest one consider the 9 makarov round. A tiny bit bigger diameter, energy between 380 and 9mm loadings and cheaper than both when bought by the case. A variety of inexpensive surplus weapons for this caliber including the excellent czech cz82.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatredpill
I'm gonna mix things up a bit and suggest one consider the 9 makarov round. A tiny bit bigger diameter, energy between 380 and 9mm loadings and cheaper than both when bought by the case. A variety of inexpensive surplus weapons for this caliber including the excellent czech cz82.

I would suggest checking in to the availability of the Makarov round before settling on that round. Sometimes it's not as widely available as the 9mm x 19mm.

Shooting yer handgun a lot is what gives you the ability to be accurate. The less expensive it is to practice the more you will be able to practice.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thatredpill

I think the difference is strictly in the length of the bullet. Isn't it a 9x18 while the .380 is 9x17, and the 9mm parabellum is 9x19. Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, it is a decent compromise. Plus you can find the old CZs for $139 - $209 used. The only problem is the limited options when it comes to ammo. I haven't really found it to be very common. Mostly I see Brown or Silver Bear in bulk quanitys. That stuff can be less than optimal ammo. I've seen and heard of problems with fouling, gouging, and failure to fire.

Hornady does make a xtp round. However, in a few balistic test I've seen the xtp round isn't very reliable when it come to expanding. I've shot Fiocchi Extrema ammo (which uses the xtp bullet) and noticed a lack of expansion. Admittedly my personal observations are less than scientific. Most of my observations are based on size difference between entrance and exit holes in improvised targets.

The one exception was a set up using two pieces of 1/2" plywood with 2" of air space in between. That was not an improvised target and holes were commonly with in 1/16th - 3/32nds of an inch size wise.

The Makarov is good if you can find good ammo. The problem is finding good ammo.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hlesterjerome

Originally posted by thatredpill

I would suggest checking in to the availability of the Makarov round before settling on that round. Sometimes it's not as widely available as the 9mm x 19mm.

Shooting yer handgun a lot is what gives you the ability to be accurate. The less expensive it is to practice the more you will be able to practice.

Heck I buy ammo through the mail. Plenty of sites, many good places and I can tell you that it wont be getting any cheaper or easier to get in the long run. I'm paying about a dime a round. Get all what you need now. I havent shot any of my 9 mak but it's not a bad round on paper, although I imagine hp or specialty loadings are likely variable in availability. Another consideration is that for emergencies one can safely shoot 380 out of a 9 mak, but not the other way around. For the makarov pistols conversion barrels are available
Shot placement is everything, one needs to have confidence in the arm/round combo and be able to aim and pull the trigger without flinching out of fear or anticipation.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by thatredpill]

[edit on 12-3-2010 by thatredpill]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I just wanted to thank everyone who has replied here. You all have given me a LOT of food for thought.

I have another question for anyone who wants to take the time:

I am looking at ammo online, and not noticing a lot of difference between price and availability between 9mm and .380.

Do people have experience in buying online? Any concerns?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I find 9mm to have more stats and supporters claiming its a more lethal round. I personally love my little Walther PPk/S, and not just because Im a fan of James Bond. When I first bought it, all my friends were bagging on me, saying things like, "sure .380's a lethal round, if you get in a fight with a poodle!" Others say, " I only buy guns that are chambered for rounds that start with .4" and so on and so on. Thats until we went to the range, they all quickly fell in love with my little .380 concealable pistol. They wouldnt put it down! I out shot the guys there who had .45's, and they couldnt believe it was that accurate for a short barrel. In a gun fight sure you'd want a bigger louder round, but if you're accurate, even a .22 between the eyes will put someone down.

By the way, last year, here in Cali it was near impossible to find .380's. Good thing I was already stocked up, but I heard it was mainly due to the fact that brands like Kel-Tec were producing cheap guns, chambered for .380. If only we could buy Kel-Tec's in Cali. F'ing gun laws here SUCK!

[edit on 12-3-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I have had good experiences ordering from Cabella's and Gander Mountain. When ordering from Cabella's you won't be told something is on back order until you start to check out. So be careful that you don't order something that is out of stock by accident.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I just wanted to thank everyone who has replied here. You all have given me a LOT of food for thought.

I am looking at ammo online, and not noticing a lot of difference between price and availability between 9mm and .380.

THere's no problem getting good ammo online, the problem is good and inexpensive ammo. Major brands, fine, but not cheap. Some, perhaps most of surplus has issues otherwise they wouldnt wholesale for a buck a case. Former soviet ammo can be great like most russian or romanian, or sketchy as the bulgarian tends to be. If you dont want to take the time to learn the intricacies of surplus, buy commercial. Nothing is free of defects when made in the millions/week. Mostly you get what you pay for with the major brands. For some that shoot high volumes, surplus is the only way to go when a belt of commercial ammo is 200 bucks and lasts about 30 seconds.
I've heard rumors of commercial russian ammo being dirty or smelly but never known anyone to have a problem with it out of many thousands downrange in the most finiky of firearms.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I buy a lot of ammo online.

Most of the time it's just as simple as adding to cart and paying for it.

From Widener's I had to fax them a copy of my driver's license for proof of age. Occasionally you'll come across something like that. Especially if you live near a not so free state or restricted city.

I've bought everything from a 20rd box to a several thousand round crate. No problems.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I carry .380 everday on ankle

KelTec P3AT

excellent backup and highly concealable

Consider buying hollowpoint ammo for the .380 for maximum effectiveness.

Also have had 9mm and got rid.

Currently use Springfield XD40 supcompact as primary if needed.
Superior in every way to 9mm IMHO.

the 380 is just right for everyday carry

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hlesterjerome

9mm is very available, I said .380 rounds are hard to find..

Deebo

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

For ordering ammo online and reload supplies i use MidwayUSA and google discount codes for midwayusa and enter it when prompted at checkout and you'll get $10 off your order.

One more thing i'd like to add DO NOT order +P ammo unless the gun manufacturer states it can be used in your gun. +P is a hotter load with more chamber pressure than standard ammo and If you use it and your gun isn't rated for it you end up holding a hand grenade.

Oooh one more thing lol and probably the most important if your ordering ammo online you need to check your local laws to see if your allowed to or not some places require you to have ammo delivered to a FFL dealer, it can be quite difficult to find all the laws because there changed so often you can always check the NRA website for links on gun laws in your state.

[edit on 12/3/10 by Aliensdoexist]

[edit on 12/3/10 by Aliensdoexist]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

I will back up RealityisanIllusions' statement... When I was in the service during the transition period from m1911s to the Berreta 92fs I was able to witness first hand both in use during combat.

My LT. had the 9mm, and my plt. sgt. still had the 1911, 45., during one short yet intense firefight, I was forced to change the barrel on an m60 machine gun, (overheated the first one...) while doing so my Lt and My sgt. were down to thier sidearms,

The Lt fired 15 rounds at an enemy combatant that was charging us, no seeming effect, then my Sgt. fired off 3 rounds.. the 2nd round hit the combatant in the thigh and stopped him, the 3rd hit him in the chest.. end of story...(the first he discharged as he cleared the old style flap holster)

later we were able to determine that the 9mm hit the combatant 13 times! straight through. the 45 broke his femur, then exploded his heart and lungs..

many details were left out as they are not relevent...

(edit to add) I also want to stress that in this instance the rounds used were "military ball ammo" (full jacketed round nose)
using differant type rounds in the 9mm, will change the effectiveness..

There is nothing "wrong" with a GOOD 9mm. handgun.. I just prefer the old .45acp..

[edit on 12-3-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SideWynder
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

I will back up RealityisanIllusions' statement... When I was in the service during the transition period from m1911s to the Berreta 92fs I was able to witness first hand both in use during combat.

My LT. had the 9mm, and my plt. sgt. still had the 1911, 45., during one short yet intense firefight, I was forced to change the barrel on an m60 machine gun, (overheated the first one...) while doing so my Lt and My sgt. were down to thier sidearms,

The Lt fired 15 rounds at an enemy combatant that was charging us, no seeming effect, then my Sgt. fired off 3 rounds.. the 2nd round hit the combatant in the thigh and stopped him, the 3rd hit him in the chest.. end of story...(the first he discharged as he cleared the old style flap holster)

later we were able to determine that the 9mm hit the combatant 13 times! straight through. the 45 broke his femur, then exploded his heart and lungs..

many details were left out as they are not relevent...

The .45 is one of the best all around handgun rounds period and many WWII Vets lives were saved by this round. This story is one of thousands of reasons why the .45 is still in use for over 100 years, and in my Glock 21 I find that the recoil is not much more than the 9mm unless I use +P then its noticable.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I would like to reccomend that possibly you may want to look into a .40 cal. sig sauer makes a nice one, several years ago the VA state police used them as backups. then about 3 years ago the changed, so the market (in VA at least) is flooded with them, and ammo seems to be readily availabe.

The sig, did not have an uncomfortable recoil, (it was my wifes carry gun) yet still provided acceptable stopping/penetrating power without "going overboard"

It was also a fairly comfortable carry gun. and very reliable, and accurate.

just something to look into.. and this is also just a personal opinion.. Basicaly, get something that you are very,very, comfortable with. There is no need to purchase a "dirty Harry gun" if you are not comfortable using it.. better off having a "girly gun" that you can actually use proficiantly...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SideWynder

I would like to reccomend that possibly you may want to look into a .40 cal. sig sauer makes a nice one, several years ago the VA state police used them as backups. then about 3 years ago the changed, so the market (in VA at least) is flooded with them, and ammo seems to be readily availabe.

The sig, did not have an uncomfortable recoil, (it was my wifes carry gun) yet still provided acceptable stopping/penetrating power without "going overboard"

It was also a fairly comfortable carry gun. and very reliable, and accurate.

just something to look into.. and this is also just a personal opinion.. Basicaly, get something that you are very,very, comfortable with. There is no need to purchase a "dirty Harry gun" if you are not comfortable using it.. better off having a "girly gun" that you can actually use proficiantly...

i have listed off my reasons for not looking at bigger cals. It just isnt realistic for what I am looking for.

I also think I failed to mention the biggest reason I am looking at smaller cals. It will be a C&C weapon. I am not a big guy, concealing a .40 or .45 isnt very realistic.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have to say though, I love the idea that a 9mm or a .380 is a 'girly gun'. I dont think someone would think they were girly, if they were staring down one.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Sorry, I did not make that post clear.. I was not calling the .380 or the 9mm "girly guns" What I meant was in general terms that the "physical" size/weight.. etc. of the gun..

IE. if you are more comfortable with a small frame gun, or even a smaller caliber. (.25, etc..) you are better off using that than getting a .38 snubnose, or a .44mag, etc... just to impress...

Not picking on you, actually just trying to help, any handgun that you can use comfortably and accurately, is better than the one that just looks "impressive"..

I hope I clarified what I was trying to say..
Also the sig, .40 p230, was a nice "smaller" framed gun, comparable to the 380s and smaller than most 9mm, with lighter recoil for a small framed gun..

Also you are correct, NO gun is a "girly gun" when on the wrong end of it... LOL... (been there, done that...)

[edit on 12-3-2010 by SideWynder]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join