It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's Nemesis Pelted Earth with Comets, Study Suggests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Sun's Nemesis Pelted Earth with Comets, Study Suggests

www.space.com

A dark object may be lurking near our solar system, occasionally kicking comets in our direction.

Nicknamed "Nemesis" or "The Death Star," this undetected object could be a red or brown dwarf star, or an even darker presence several times the mass of Jupiter.

The Footprint of Nemesis

A recently-discovered dwarf planet, named Sedna, has an extra-long and usual elliptical orbit around the Sun. Sedna is one of the most distant objects yet observed, with an orbit ranging between 76 and 975 AU (where 1 AU is the distance between the Earth and the Sun). Sedna's orbit is estimated to l
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Apparently there is even without calling out " Nibiru !" a source out there science keeps on searching for.

If it's plausible for this 'Nemesis' to actually be real and we find something.
I don't think you can ignore all the ancients and present days stories about planet X anymore.

What if they find what they are looking for ?
Are we going to serious change our present day understanding of our past ? Or would this be just an anti-climax waiting to happen ?

I've got to say I can't wait ! 2013 Here I come.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Once again, an object twice the size of jupiter already came through our solar system. It was called NEAT comet. They didn't see it, until it was only two months away. It was moving so damn fast that it was out of the solar system in a few days. If its orbit is highly eliptical, then I believe that this comet is coming back, and will be back in our solar system, just in time for 2012.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Isnt Xena a new found planet that orbits our sun ?
Or is it the same one ? Maybe Im mixing planets..

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Xena/Eris is a dwarf planet.

NEAT comet was a normal comet that happened to be very bright.

You people are so superstitious...

That wasn't an actual insult, it was a Firesign Theatre reference

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Solasis]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Xena/Eris is a dwarf planet.

NEAT comet was a normal comet that happened to be very bright.

You people are so superstitious...

That wasn't an actual insult, it was a Firesign Theatre reference

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Solasis]

It is just that I read about NASA finding it some years ago, wierd how we dont add them to our solar system count if they orbit our sun..

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is slightly off topic, but it is a cool find.

Dark Asteroids Found Near Earth

A new infrared telescope has found 16 to 20 previously unknown asteroids that come close to Earth.

The asteroids are dark, with most reflecting less than one-tenth of the sunlight that hits them. One object is as dark as asphalt, reflecting less than 5 percent of its light.

The objects, which some scientists suspect may be spent comets, pose no threat to the planet, though how they got here remains a mystery.

"This population tells us a lot about the solar system's history and formation," said NASA's Amy Mainzer, the lead researcher on a project to use a new infrared telescope called WISE to search for near-Earth objects.

The Wide-Field Infrared Explorer, or WISE, has been on the hunt for about seven weeks, mapping the sky for objects that radiate in the infrared. Within six months, WISE is expected to have surveyed the entire sky.

"We're just getting the first data on asteroids in general," Mainzer told Discovery News. "It's still really, really early so we don't have an idea of how big this population actually is."

About half of the newly found objects reflect less than 10 percent of the sunlight that hits them, making them difficult if not impossible to spot with visible light telescopes. WISE finds objects by their heat emissions.

The newly discovered objects have highly inclined orbits, which has planetary scientist Richard Binzel, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, thinking that they are comets which have had all their surface ices striped away by heating, leaving just a comet nuclei orbiting in the inner solar system.

Comets are believed to have formed in the frozen outer regions of the solar system, but occasionally some are bumped in closer to the sun due to the gravitational pull of the giant planet Jupiter. As they orbit closer to the sun, ices on their surface vaporize, forming a distinctive fuzzy tail around the comet's body. Binzel believes WISE is finding extinct comets.

"We're constantly finding new stuff," Mainzer said. "We're drinking from the fire hose of knowledge right now. What we've seen is a very exciting glimpse of what is to come."

Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
accutly we now ahve a good idea of were this (planet failed star )
is just reciently secintest descovered our solar system isent accutly all the way round one side has a ((((dent ))) like a very very large body near taht sopt accutly creating a gravational ripple .
as for anything else well ovesly we eather have a dark star or planet .

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Thanks Aggie man. Also a great read.

These are exiting times we live in.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Our "solar system count" is the count of normal planets; it's down to 8 since the whole Pluto thing. In fact, Xena/Eris was the impetus for the pluto thing! Dwarf Planets are different from Planets in fairly arbitrary ways.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
accutly we now ahve a good idea of were this (planet failed star )
is just reciently secintest descovered our solar system isent accutly all the way round one side has a ((((dent ))) like a very very large body near taht sopt accutly creating a gravational ripple .
as for anything else well ovesly we eather have a dark star or planet .

Do you have a link to that information?

I'd like to read more.

Thanks.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
People have been looking for this body ever since they originally found Neptune and Pluto, because they found those planets by studying the same gravitational perturbations and Pluto was too small to satisfy the "pull" the outer planets were experiencing. Now today disinformation is so plentiful, some scientists are saying there was never a perturbation to begin with. Guess they just lucked out discovering those planets how they did.

Personally I think there's a brown dwarf out there and this system is binary. You can say we would've found it by now but I think that's just scientific arrogance, and there's more than enough to go around with your adolescent high school know-it-alls and the like. Even the Navy put somebody on investigating this object through the 90s already assuming it existed. Large objects have sneaked up on us before and we have no idea what all is actually out there and how it all works. We just like to think we do.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Much evidence supports the existance of a Nemesis like object in our greater solar system.

It's both good and bad - bad that it can so greatly adversely affect the Earth - but good in the fact that between it and the Gas Giants dynamics - they may well be doing a good job of shielding us in the intervals between the regular periodic bombarments it causes here on Earth.

Bad thing is we are in/approching the end of one of those intervals - so we better wake the F-up and get our crap together before it happens again!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Once again, an object twice the size of jupiter already came through our solar system. It was called NEAT comet. They didn't see it, until it was only two months away. It was moving so damn fast that it was out of the solar system in a few days. If its orbit is highly eliptical, then I believe that this comet is coming back, and will be back in our solar system, just in time for 2012.

bull#.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Bad thing is we are in/approching the end of one of those intervals - so we better wake the F-up and get our crap together before it happens again!

I'm awake.

Now, if there is anything I can do to prevent a catastrophic event, please enlighten me.
Not knowing would in a such a case be mine preferred choice.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It is an interesting thought. Not new, though, as the article explains. I remember reading about this when I was a kid.

I think it is feasible. As I recall, most star systems are binary, at least,which made SOL unique. If there is a red/brown dwarf out there, then perhaps it isn't quite so unique, after all.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

bull#.

Yes, bull#.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

That's not from NASA'S site or anything.

NEAT comet had a nucleus twice the size of jupiter. It went past the sun in 2003, it was moving faster than anything they had ever seen.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
www.sitchiniswrong.com...
Video showing that Neberu is actually name of Jupiter
www.solstation.com...
According to computer simulations inspired by the finding of "hot" Jupiter-class planets found in inner orbits around nearby stars, the Solar System's own Jupiter may have formed 10 percent farther from the Sun than it is now, and then spiralled in by about 0.45 AUs (70 million kilometers or 44 million miles) over at least 100,000 years as it lost angular momentum to drag within the thick dust disk that surrounds young stars. Supporting evidence of this in-migration from an unusual group of 700 or so rocky bodies known as the Hilda asteroids, which orbit the Sun three times for every two made by Jupiter, and of which vast majority have slightly elongated elliptical orbits, whereas many other asteroids have near-circular orbits. Computer simulations (led by Fred Franklin’s team at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics) indicate that Jupiter's early in-migration would have ejected any proto-Hilda asteroids with circular orbits from the Solar System and would have further elongated the orbits of those that remained (Franklin et al, 2004). Luckily, Sol's dust disk was probably thin compared with those stars that dragged their outer gas giants into inner orbits closer than Mercury or into the stars themselves, perturbing the orbits of any developing, inner terrestrial planets. Indeed, astronomer Phil Armitage speculates that the in-migration of Jupiter could also have disturbed the proto-planetary bodies of the inner Solar System so that they collided more frequently, to spur the formation and growth of Earth itself.
www.subversiveelement.com...
Ancient Sumerian texts indicate that the Earth (" Tiamat ") was struck by a large planet, which moved it into its present orbit, and created the Moon and the Asteroid Belt. In his books, The Twelfth Planet and The Cosmic Code, Zecharia Sitchin outlines this "celestial battle" as described in the Babylonian text called Enuma elish. The planet "Marduk" (the Sumerian " Nibiru "), as it came into the solar system on its clockwise elliptical course, struck Tiamat, which was moving in its ordained counterclockwise orbit. One of Marduk's satellites struck Tiamat first, followed by two more of Marduk's moons. Then Marduk itself, an enormous planetary body, struck Tiamat, smashing one half of the planet into pieces, which became the Earth's Moon and the "Great Band" (Asteroid Belt). The other half of the planet, which was struck by a smaller moon of Marduk, was moved into a new orbit, along with a chunk of material which became its moon. The new planet was then called "KI," meaning "cleaved one." The Earth's original moons were dispersed, many changing the direction of their orbits.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vonour
www.sitchiniswrong.com...
Video showing that Neberu is actually name of Jupiter

According to you? And don't say "Sumerians."

Sorry but this is all dependent upon translation and no one is going to translate something as what they think cannot be correct. The translation of this ancient language is not straightforward, as it is still not fully understood. We have no idea what they were talking about or their own words meant to them.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Jupiter has a slightly elliptical or oval shaped orbit...
...accroding to the THE ASSYRIAN DICTIONARY...Neberu is Jupiter
...Did you look at the vid...The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary, initiated in 1921 by James Henry Breasted, is compiling a comprehensive dictionary of the various dialects of Akkadian, the earliest known Semitic language that was recorded on cuneiform texts that date from c. 2400 B.C. to A.D. 100 which were recovered from archaeological excavations of ancient Near Eastern sites. The Assyrian Dictionary is in every sense a joint undertaking of resident and non-resident scholars from around the world who have contributed their time and labor over a period of seventy years to the collection of the source materials and to the publication of the Dictionary.... oi.uchicago.edu...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join