It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Falls in Antarctica & Life Calls on Europa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if I drank it.

hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
first pic.

Odd. I mean how sometimes logical thinking, isn't anything near the like
of rational thinking. As you have already stated with eloquence, the mics
and ancient lake are the logical answer for the scarlet flow. However I have a bit of rationale that tends to tug at that logic. sorta.
If I may.
I was simply considering how much it loolks like blood. Then I thought,
sure arn't alot of other things in nature that look like blood. From there,
I have to ask rationally, why did nature wait til now and at this local to produce something that looks,"exactly like blood" to me.

Oh and WTF is the little floatie device thingy in the water to the left.
I've blown it up, I can't call it. first pic of course.

we may need a whole team on this one.

So Fn Sn

[edit on 8-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ikema
First thought, "Holy Antarctica after-birth Batman!" My second was how much more omminious looking can you get? Imagine a deadly virus, let loose due to global warming?

But think of this... What if it's tasty?

Maybe we should harvest it, bottle it, and sell it at Dean & Deluca, right next to the caviar!

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
awesome OP, thanks. Very interesting.

Did the Bible say something about the sea turning red in the end of days?

I hope all this bacteria isn't a threat to life.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by TheOracle]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Did the Bible say something about the sea turning red in the end of days? I hope all this bacteria isn't a threat to life.

That the Moon would turn as blood and the sun as dark as sackcloth, et cetera. That's Revelation... It also says "And the second angel sounded his trumpet: and as a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea, and the third part of the sea became blood"

That sounds like an asteroid strike, right?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Look what I found

The Return of Ancient Viruses: Freed from Glaciers in a Warming World

Good article!

www.britannica.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Good catch! Pretty startling ideas in the article...the idea that some ancient virus could sweep through our populations. Maybe a catastrophe for other species?

Whether or not dormant viruses that have been locked away for millennia in Earth’s glaciers can fully reawaken and cause disease in humans and other life remains unknown. The human immune system has evolved and adapted to viruses that are presumably more complex than their ancestors, and although this does not necessarily preclude infection, it is a safeguard for our species.
The Return of Ancient Viruses: Freed from Glaciers in a Warming World

It looks like *so far* it's unlikely that ancient viruses will effect us...but the article doesn't sound all that sure!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
hmm hate to be doom and gloomy about all this but what do you suppose the chances of us human and all the other biological critters on earth dealing with these bacteria that are so tough they can live in such harsh environments. we already have a hard enough time with our failing anti biotics. with this stuff entering the food cycle through the oceans and then fish and then into humans. im sure if they can survive in underground frozen lakes with no air they can survive in the belly and digestive track of fish and other marine lifeforms. dammit i like seafood. lol oh well gotta die sometime.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I was simply considering how much it loolks like blood. Then I thought,
sure arn't alot of other things in nature that look like blood. From there,
I have to ask rationally, why did nature wait til now and at this local to produce something that looks,"exactly like blood" to me.

Really? You call that "rational thinking"?

I can't tell you why "nature" waited to produce something that looks like something else to you. And "nature" (should that be a proper noun?) didn't wait till now. Although I must say it is a marvellous sight

This five-story, blood-red waterfall pours very slowly out of the Taylor Glacier in Antarctica's McMurdo Dry Valleys. When geologists first discovered the frozen waterfall in 1911, they thought the red color came from algae, but its true nature turned out to be much more spectacular.
source

So these life forms were discovered in 1911, and have likely been around for much longer. So to answer your question briefly, Nature didn't.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The interesting thing about this article is that the soup is 2 million years old and has been preserved (somewhat) in ice for 2 million years.. Which indicates we haven't had a pole shift in 2 million years. Hmm

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
So it's Antarctica's time of the month, huh?

Well there are numerous instances of this - not the red falls but organisms being trapped and evolving independently of everything else. Lake Vostok is one of them, a completely sealed-in-ice lake which has had it's internal ecosystem cut of from the outside world. The life forms that dwell there may not be extraterrestrial but they are completely alien. Seeing what happens when life so isolated comes into contact will be bloody interesting to say the least - even moreso on worlds like Europa and the other countless inhabited worlds out there.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Welfhard]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Explore and then explore some more is the way forward

A guy called Bill Stone is leading the way forward here. He's been testing a submersible in the waters that Bleeding Falls runs into. His ultimate aim is to explore the oceans of Europa...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef33a26c4f3e.jpg[/atsimg]

News: NASA Approves ENDURANCE Upgrade Funding for 2009 Antarctica Field Season

This is the Endurance...not life size

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6c58bdb7094a.jpg[/atsimg]

This video sets out his plans to set up a moon base in Shackleton Crater. From there...he hopes to launch a probe to search for life in the Europa oceans. I love his ambition and playing 'Born to be Wild' over an animation of extraterrestrial exploration is magic....

Is that the same Bill Stone from down in Austin that owns Stone Aerospace?

I had a conversation with him a couple years back. He was looking to go into production on a moon mining system. I contacted him to look for a venture capital opportunity. His answer? "The big gasoline companies are looking to buy me out. There won't be any room for individuals".

I wonder if, instead of Chevron (who he said was the likely buyer), if he may have went with NASA?

On a side, note, one wonders how much technology has been purchased by corporations, only to be held in secret in order to maximize revenue? Corporations are robbing mankind of its destiny. We have traded our future for a big screen TV and an XBOX. Its that whole "soft discrimination of lowered expectations" thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Is that the same Bill Stone from down in Austin that owns Stone Aerospace?

I had a conversation with him a couple years back. He was looking to go into production on a moon mining system. I contacted him to look for a venture capital opportunity. His answer? "The big gasoline companies are looking to buy me out. There won't be any room for individuals". I wonder if, instead of Chevron (who he said was the likely buyer), if he may have went with NASA?

On a side, note, one wonders how much technology has been purchased by corporations, only to be held in secret in order to maximize revenue? Corporations are robbing mankind of its destiny. We have traded our future for a big screen TV and an XBOX. Its that whole "soft discrimination of lowered expectations" thing.

Hiya Texan....it's one and the same. He's had some investment from Zorgon's favourite...Bigelow. That was back in 2008/early 2009. If you watch the video he describes how he'd mine the Shackleton Crater.

It's a damn shame, but no surprise about 'individuals.' A co-operative pooling their resources and going for the goal should be allowable. I guess the systems make solo venture projects almost impossible?

I'm not a wholesale fan of the conspiracies around here, but Stone really seemed to have something worth backing in the field. He's proven his ability to manage new frontiers with the Endurance probe and shown a good intuition when dealing with Bigelow and NASA for funding.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Bill stone rocks IMO,A true pioneer.
I really hope he gets his plans put into action,especially the robots to distant ice moons.
What a guy-It would be great to get him on ATS.
Cool thread-about the blood red glacier,I am sure it was used a while back as a kind of metaphor for global warming,but I wonder how long its been leaking red juice?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Oh and WTF is the little floatie device thingy in the water to the left. I've blown it up, I can't call it. first pic of course.

It's the tent I was trying to show to Kiwifoot in another post. I stared at it yesterday and just couldn't see the tent although I knew it was there. Not water...ice.

As for the blood...it looks like a fresh bloodbath out there...seal pups? It really is just the accumulation of iron in the water turning vivid red.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
If we investigate the blood falls we can see if we're aliens or native to earth. just a suggestion...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
seems that there is the same geological effect even on Mars.

S&F.
This pic is upside down.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Arimbari

seems that there is the same geological effect even on Mars

Nice parallel

It's not exactly the same, but similar. The streaks are caused by the thin frozen carbon dioxide surface being exposed by landslides from the Martian springtime. There's a colour-filtered image on Nasa's Hi-Rise site that really makes it clear. The images in the media a few weeks back suggested trees!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well, this certainly is messed up. I'm going to have to look into this further.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Really? You call that "rational thinking"?

yayepado as far as each thought relating to the next one. Wha?
Did you happen to pay any attention to the other part of the post?"

[edit on 8-3-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join