It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Separate Ice Age Cycles, Six Distinct Causes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Years ago, the American Geophysical Society(?) reported that 6 separate ice age cycles had been clearly identified, and related to distinct and different factors. Differences in ice age severity were explained by the varying impacts of the different causes and also, by the overlapping and/or convergence of two or more cycles. ...a major freeze happens when all the cycles converge and happen at same time....

I read the synthesis/analysis in several old magazines, but since have lost the references. Now, I can't find anything specific on the Net.

The cycles, as I recall:

1. An 11,000 year cycle, related to solar activity - the shortest.

...the Milankovitch Cycles:

2. 26,000-year cycle related to axial precession
3. 41,000-year cycle related to axial tilt
4. 70,000-year cycle related to Orbital inclination
5. 100,000-year cycle related to Orbital eccentricity

6. 400,000-year cycle related to eccentricity variations - only clearly present in climate records older than the last million years.

(7.) Also, the Cosmic Year is about 240 million years, and the earth obviously will be exposed to various factors during that orbit - some of which will affect climate. For example, Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

REQUEST

Does anyone here have the old graph showing overlaps and convergences? Can anyone create one? (I don't do math.
)

For the record:
1. I DO think our climate is changing.
2. I do NOT think "cap and trade" will do much more than line a few pockets.
3. I DO think we need to take action to
a) clean up contaminations that are causing disease and mutation, and accelerating evolution; and
b) better position humanity and our civilization (such as it is) to deal with and survive climate change.

More of my (past) thinking, fyi:
Climate Change: No-Brainer
Climate Change: Finding the Middle Ground

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

b) better position humanity and our civilization (such as it is) to deal with and survive climate change.

Interesting stuff. I'll read your linked thread later.

Don't the above two points contradict each other?

For the record, I think if you puke enough gas into the air, you will change the climate. It's a no-brainer.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Don't the above two points contradict each other?

I don't think so. ??? ...I say 1) the climate is changing and 2) we need to position to deal with the change(s).

...How do you think the 2 points contradict each other?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Years ago, the American Geophysical Society(?) reported that 6 separate ice age cycles had been clearly identified, and related to distinct and different factors. Differences in ice age severity were explained by the varying impacts of the different causes and also, by the overlapping and/or convergence of two or more cycles. ...a major freeze happens when all the cycles converge and happen at same time....

I read the synthesis/analysis in several old magazines, but since have lost the references. Now, I can't find anything specific on the Net.

The cycles, as I recall:

1. An 11,000 year cycle, related to solar activity - the shortest.

...the Milankovitch Cycles:

2. 26,000-year cycle related to axial precession
3. 41,000-year cycle related to axial tilt
4. 70,000-year cycle related to Orbital inclination
5. 100,000-year cycle related to Orbital eccentricity

6. 400,000-year cycle related to eccentricity variations - only clearly present in climate records older than the last million years.

(7.) Also, the Cosmic Year is about 240 million years, and the earth obviously will be exposed to various factors during that orbit - some of which will affect climate. For example, Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

REQUEST

Does anyone here have the old graph showing overlaps and convergences? Can anyone create one? (I don't do math.
)

For the record:
2. I do NOT think "cap and trade" will do much more than line a few pockets.
3. I DO think we need to take action to
a) clean up contaminations that are causing disease and mutation, and accelerating evolution; and

More of my (past) thinking, fyi:
Climate Change: No-Brainer
Climate Change: Finding the Middle Ground

I did see that relationship between the ice ages somewhere and in a more recent report it was stated that they were all due to coverge any where from now or in the next hundred years.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Great thread !

I'm keeping it in my favourites for now.
But it's definitely worth an S & F.

I agree with your conclusions, only after we cleaned up. What then ?

I think we have got to put our priorities straight.
Go for the cause first instead of mobbing all day while a water leak still isn't fixed.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I don't think so. ??? ...I say 1) the climate is changing and 2) we need to position to deal with the change(s).

...How do you think the 2 points contradict each other?

It's simple. You don't believe the AGW scare stories, therefore you must be wrong or contradicting yourself somehow, in the eyes of believers.

Interesting thread, which I will definitely look into further when I have the time.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by keldas

REQUEST

)

I did see that relationship between the ice ages somewhere and in a more recent report it was stated that they were all due to coverge any where from now or in the next hundred years.

Thank you! ...Any chance you could please, please find that more recent report?

...and thank you too Sinter Klaas, Curious and Concerned

new topics

top topics

join