It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Land Anthropod On Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Species: Birgus latro

Habitat: Coastal forests of islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans

It's paradise with a twist. As the sun sets over the beautiful Palmyra atoll, south of Hawaii, Earth's largest land arthropod emerges from its lair.

Coconut crabs can reach a length of 40 centimetres, with a leg span of 90 centimetres, and weigh 4 kilograms. Most such monster arthropods – the group that includes insects, spiders and crustaceans – live in the sea, where the water helps support their heavy bodies. To survive on the land, coconut crabs have had to evolve a suite of strange adaptations. But their exceptional lifestyle has also put them at great risk, and conservationists are only now working out how to protect them.

Coconut crabs – also known as robber crabs for their habit of stealing food from inattentive campers – are not true crabs. They are members of the group that includes hermit crabs, known for living in discarded mollusc shells. Coconut crabs do this when they are young, but as they grow they give up the habit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da36db4cac1b.jpg[/atsimg]
Coconut munching paradise dweller

www.newscientist.com...

I wouldn't want to come across this guy late at night, there is a very large green bug state side that looks similar to this one, don't know what it's called off hand.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Lemurian remnant.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
One of my favorite animals. The idea of a crab crawling into people's houses and eating their garbage blew my mind as a child years ago when one of my monthly Zoobooks contained an entry on this slow moving mischief maker.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
...uhh...Is it just me, or am I right about the fact that Cryptozoology is "The Study of !!UNKNOWN!! creatures"?
This thing ain't new, I remember seeing this thing on TV like 10 years ago...
Don't get me wrong, but whats so special about this?

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Pakd-on-mystery]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

It may not be unknown, but it's certainly a bit of an oddball. Strange and unique species do have a place within crypto discussions: reports of new or "unidentified" creatures are often simply misidentified species that are already known. And when you consider the example of a ten-pound, semi-arboreal crab that steals your food, some of the questions raised in cryptozoology start to seem less werid and more plausible.

S&F from me, thanks for posting this, Aquarius1.

/edit: syntax.

[edit on 3/7/10 by articulus]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by articulus

Thanks articulus, wasn't sure where to post this thread, thought the mods would move it if necessary.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Those things rock. I so want to see what one tastes like with a side of melted butter.

Raist

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
GOOD LORD!

That thing is enourmous! I won't lie they are kind of creepy to me. I know it's not a real crab (as stated above) but when I see crab-like animals I am used to 'large' being the big Alaskan King crab...this is just insane

cool find

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If I lived anywhere that might result in one of those things coming into my yard, I would carry a .45 with me at all times. (Shudder!)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wasn't that thing in the movie "Aliens". You know, the thing that attaches itself to John Hurts space helmet.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

And here it is popping out of his tummy:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb3bcb3d45f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Aquarius1 Thanks for posting this. I'm always interested to hear about odd animals and this is a new one to me. They sound adorable, I'd leave treats out for them

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

You are welcome, adorable wouldn't be the word I have for them, cannot believe that guy would let this creature crawl all over him, that would freak me out....

I haven't heard of them before either..

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Why would any one want to hold something like that!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think you meant Arthropod, not anthropod. :3

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
heh I think the OP might want to re-title it 'largest land Arthropod on Modern earth'.

Since if you go back far enough in history you had these buggers

en.wikipedia.org...
www.geology.cz...

Coconut crabs dont have a thing on a 8 foot long super centipedes

[edit on 14-3-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Hi BigfootNZ, since I don't have the ability to rename this thread it's a moot point, I do appreciate the links you provided however, thank you.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Personally, I think they are pretty cute. :3 Then again, I think Komodo dragons are simply adorable.

What we have currently is nothing in comparison to what used to dwell on this planet, as has been stated. Arthropleura are just plain neat, if you ask me. A "bug" as long or longer than a human? Count me in.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by HarlequinRaven]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This animal is absolutely beautiful, thank you !!!

Glad to see it.
It is also well-suited to survive on its own in multiple environments, unlike myself. : ( I guess it is OK to be jealous?
love.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

I agree they are beautiful, but certainly wouldn't want them in my backyard or garbage can.

join