It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clackamas man exercises free speech rights by giving cops the finger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Clackamas man exercises free speech rights by giving cops the finger

www.oregonlive.com

Robert Ekas filed a federal lawsuit to defend what he says is his First Amendment right to express himself by flipping off police officers. “I did it because I have the right to do it,” Ekas said. “We all have that right, and we all need to test it. Otherwise we’ll lose it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
This is a statement. Like open carry. A general statement of a just one more right we the people have that is slowly going away due to apathy and acquiescence. Sure it may be rude, and maybe even petty; but no more than some things i have seen on TV, on on various stages of entertainment - and elsewhere. Maybe more people need to "silently" voice a finger toward some of the supposed and so called self procliamed "authoritative" folks (who are actually supposed to be public servants - not authorities).

Hehe, maybe a mass silent public "flip-off" gathering in front of the various police stations or better yet, in front of the banks, tax offices, courts, insurance agencies... you get the idea... Imagine several thousand folks standing silently giving the finger in unison! That might actally be a good photo op..
Anyone for a Finger March on Washington? Ciao.4.Now. -RDDS

www.oregonlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Hahaha....

There was a post on ATS not long ago about getting rich by doing this... simply suing the department when the officer went "apespit".

Nice to see a local story, thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by revdrdrsunshine

What a great move by this guy. As some have noted it is rather rude and I agree but it should not be illegal.

Freedom of speech is the most important right that we have. It should be exercised regularly. If I want to flip off a cop or anyone else, i should have that right.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I always hope these threads have a video

For evidence and all

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by revdrdrsunshine
Hehe, maybe a mass silent public "flip-off" gathering in front of the various police stations or better yet, in front of the banks, tax offices, courts, insurance agencies... you get the idea... Imagine several thousand folks standing silently giving the finger in unison!

one of the best ideas i've heard in months, a powerful new symbol of civil disobedience, like the pease sign or the single gloved hand

perfectly expresses how we all feel.

CX

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Whilst i do believe in free speech and all that, i also believe in basic manners and respect.

Flipping off anyone for no reason is just rude. Whether it's a cop or the guy next to you in a bar, flipping someone the finger can and usualy will get a reaction.

Just because you can flip someone off, it doesn't mean you have to lower your standards to that of a common chav and do it.

CX.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Whilst i do believe in free speech and all that, i also believe in basic manners and respect.Flipping off anyone for no reason is just rude.

Normally I would agree with you CX but we mustn't forget that the person he was flipping off was a cop and although rude I do feel that sometimes cops need to flipped off every now and then.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

yeah, but being rude isn't against the law, except if you're rude to a cop....

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Yeah flipping someone off can be somewhat lowbrow, but if someone peeves you off enough, why the hell not. It shouldn't matter if it's a police officer or not (no offense to police officers). At the end of the day, a Police Officer is just a public servant. They aren't above the law so to speak, and they aren't perfect so if they stuff up, a flip off is the least of their worries.

At the end of the day, we don't live in a fascist society so flip offs to the law are perfectly acceptable. It's not like someone is pointing a gun at them right?

IRM

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hmmm... not that i am one to defend the cops... However, Freedom of speech means that the guy has the right to protest... he has the right to file a complaint... go to the media... tell the officer he is wrong... etc...

Would freedom of speech give the man the right to call the police officer a mother f*****??

I think that you need to have respect in society... and if we are going to trust the men and woman of the police to uphold the law and protect us... the least we can, do in return, is show a little respect and courtesy... After all, when a burglar breaks into your home... it’s the police who go charging in regardless of their personal safety... we owe them respect... same as the other emergency services!!!

If he had made a complaint i would have respected him... but to give the finger just shows that he is an ignorant little p****

The irony with freedom is that it has to come with rules to defend that freedom

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I used to live near Clackamas County, so this post caught my eye...

Pictures are worth thousands of words...

Obama is more subtle in his repeated delivery ...

Bush? ... ahaha In Yo Face Sucka's

VISA is recognized globally?

I'd add that this greeting is recognized Globally.

Salute to NWO, all together.

Also, Note my signature, especially if you are of Congress...

"My Driving Finger doubles as a Congressional Holiday Greeting!"

(in case I change it later it's here for for the thread.)

[edit on 3·5·10 by DrMattMaddix]

new topics

top topics

join