It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

26 ft waves kill 2 on Mediterranean Cruise ship

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
On a cruise ship none the less. So here is the link. What was the cause of this now? 26 ft waves struck a cruise liner killing two people.

Above Top Secret...

Credit sunnybunny.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
well, it was HAARP to be honest, no other explanation,
the government wanted those two people gone, and they did it

it is a freakishly weird event though

ps im kidding,

rogue waves are a freak of nature

[edit on 3/3/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
giant wave and no Tsunami Warning either

how often do you see a 26 feet wave

[edit on 3-3-2010 by usaman1983]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Not often. They are called rogue waves.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Ya I agree with you Phage. I wonder why they didn't refer to them as such in the article?

Everytime I watch 5 0

1350 passenger s 538 crew That's a big ship. Need more details.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Nonsense.

Rogue waves are fairly common. It happens more often than not when larger faster moving swells absorb smaller ones as it moves on increasing both its height and momentum.

Now all that being said a 26 foot wave at sea is nothing unusual...I have seen 60+ foot waves in a storm off of Hatteras...but the distance between the waterline and deck on those cruise ships are 40 to 60 feet...

whether the ship was docked or at sea a 26 foot wave should probably been more of a nuisance than anything else. Not a killer certainly.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

If you're underway in 10 foot seas you may be going a bit faster than you would if you were expecting 26 foot seas.

The deaths and injuries were caused by the waves breaking through windows on the forward part of Deck 5. Whether or not it "should" have happened really is irrelevant. It did.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

reply to post by Phage

Ya I agree with you Phage. I wonder why they didn't refer to them as such in the article?

Everytime I watch 5 0

Thanks for the credit and for creating this thread. You, Phage and other ATS posters are collectively showing the journos up here, for their not having any prior knowledge of rogue waves, which they should have - IMO most science journos are massively overpaid for mostly copy and pasting news agency postings which they don't fully comprehend.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by sunnybunny]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The deaths and injuries were caused by the waves breaking through windows on the forward part of Deck 5. Whether or not it "should" have happened really is irrelevant. It did.
reply to post by Phage

I don't see how this makes any sense at all . 26 ft ers should have no effect.
It's not like it could have been a breaker. At sea It would be swells? No?

SunnyBunny thanks for the turn on the story is truly yours. Glad you showed up here. I 'm gonna bail for awhile please mind the store.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Storm seas are generally shorter wavelength (steeper) than swells. It takes a while for the seas which develop in a storm to change into long wavelength swells.

With long (though high) swells, a ship can easily ride up and over. With steep storm seas, the ship is more likely to plow straight into an oncoming wave rather than over the top of it.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Could it have something to do with the small earthquakes that have been happening over the past couple of days in the med ?

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is already posted here-

Huge waves kills two on cruise ship in Mediterranean

edit to add time stamp-posted on 3/3/2010 @ 01:40 PM

[edit on 3/3/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

whether the ship was docked or at sea a 26 foot wave should probably been more of a nuisance than anything else. Not a killer certainly.
Bet the relatives of the two dead people figure that it was a killer.
But you are right, it doesn't seem like it should have killed.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Perhaps this highlights the folly of mankind's attempts to predict and preempt disaster, i.e. Chaos theory reigns supreme. We mere mortals scrabble around to make sense of the data presented to us ...and are doomed to failure!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sunnybunny

Well that's not very sunny...bunny.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
France has been through flooding and storms lately maybe it has something to do with that also.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by randy vs
On a cruise ship none the less. So here is the link. What was the cause of this now? 26 ft waves struck a cruise liner killing two people.

Above Top Secret...

Credit sunny bunny.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by randy vs]

As they say it is written! The unusual will become the usual and the usual will become unusual

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sunnybunny

Well that's not very sunny...bunny.

That's realist bunny at work.

What I'm trying to say is that it's unrealistic to expect to achieve any degree of predictability in such chaotic matters. I'm not attempting to belittle the work of any scientists working on predictive models.

But ultimately the tragic deaths due to a freak wave in the Mediterranean do highlight the current shortcomings of our attempts to predict disasters caused by unusually high waves in the current context.

In hindsight, the recent storms near France should have been more of a heads up than the earthquake in Chile. I do get the feeling that the Tsuanami disaster of 2004 has caused a kneejerk overreaction to major earthquakes situated near a coast. I don't exclude myself from such an overreaction.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by randyvs

Storm seas are generally shorter wavelength (steeper) than swells. It takes a while for the seas which develop in a storm to change into long wavelength swells.

With long (though high) swells, a ship can easily ride up and over. With steep storm seas, the ship is more likely to plow straight into an oncoming wave rather than over the top of it.

I would think steeper would be referring to amplitude and not wavelength (frequency).

It's almost funny to see you in here answering the OPs questions. It wasnt long ago that science said things like rogue waves and white squalls (great movie) didnt exist.

Seeing a rogue wave turn over a crab boat on Deadliest Catch two or three seasons ago was pretty neat.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well from what I was informed as long as it isn't posted in the news section I'm all legally insured no tickets good to go.

However not to be an azz, if I would have known there was already a story out and about here on ATS. I surely wouldn't have bothered.
I offer an apology. I don't think the mods will trash it though. I could be wrong. If so I'm sure I will somehow carry on. Alas.

Watcher

Seeing a rogue wave turn over a crab boat on Deadliest Catch two or three seasons ago was pretty neat.

Seeing it. Experiencing it wouldn't be that neat.
What do you mean by the rest of that backhanded post?
My thread isn't good enough for Phage? Waiting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join