It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt NY Rep. Charlie Rangel to Step Down From House Ways and Means Committee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Tax cheat and NY Rep. Charlie Rangel will take a "leave of absence" from the House Ways and Means Committee pending the current investigation by the House Ethics Committee for his most current scandal, personal trips with corporate sponsorship.

WASHINGTON - After being admonished by an ethics panel for accepting corporate-sponsored trips to the Caribbean, Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., will take a "leave of absence" from his chairmanship of the powerful House Ways and Means committee, NBC News has learned.

Asked by an NBC reporter if he will remain chairman, Rangel responded with an emphatic "yes."

"You bet your life on it," he said.

But t wo Democratic sources tell NBC News that Rangel will take a "leave of absence" — beginning Wednesday — until the investigation is over.

The powerful Democrat was encouraged to step aside before the House votes on a bill to strip him of his chairmanship.

"We don't have the votes to save him," one Democratic member said of Rangel.

MSNBC

Rangel is not new to scandal, in 2007 he failed to report $75,000 in earnings to the IRS claiming he was ignorant to the tax laws. HE WRITES THE TAX LAWS!

It turns out Rangel had a credit union account worth at least $250,000 and maybe as much as $500,000 -- and didn't report it. He had investment accounts worth about the same, which he also didn't report. Ditto for three pieces of property in New Jersey.

Beyond even that, we've learned that Rangel has failed to report assets totaling more than $1 million on legally required financial disclosure forms going back to at least 2001.

On top of those allegations are ones that"he falsely listed a Washington D.C. residence as his primary address when he was living in rent-stabilized apartment in New York City; used Congressional letterhead for fundraising purposes; and helped a wealthy donor to a school bearing Rangel’s name establish a lucrative tax shelter in Bermuda," according to Fox News.

JBS.org

Time to give it up Charlie. Were onto you.

Sorry Charlie...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/439b13aafe5e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2-3-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh please, if ol' Charlie has to take a leave of absence then so should 90% of the people on capitol hill. He probably just pissed someone off, so he got investigated.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It is like when men wrestle with bears and then get eaten alive. It just gives me the warm fuzzies.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Well it's a start. I tend to agree though, it seems that they have it out for him, for good reason. He is an arrogant one. I am sure he has made many enemies over the years.

According to him, though, he has far beyond the average intelligence. With regards to his financial situation he told reporters: “I recognize that all of you have an obligation to ask questions knowing that there's none of you smart enough to frame it in such a way that I'm going to respond."

JSB.org

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Oh please, if ol' Charlie has to take a leave of absence then so should 90% of the people on capitol hill. He probably just pissed someone off, so he got investigated.

I totally dislike this type of response, saying in effect that it's OK to be a criminal because everyone else is.

Opinions like this are exactly what is wrong with this country.

The correct opinion would be that if everyone is doing it, they all need to resign.

Also remember that many of these same people were all over Republican congressmen caught doing similar things. Hypocrisy alert!

IMO, it's good that the democrat leadership have pushed Rangel to take this step.

[edit on 3/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

OMG. I just starred one of your posts. As many know I am a recovering liberal and devout Democrat.

His actions are repulsive and he deseves punishment. Claims he didn't know who paid for his trips?
And Pelosi defended him by saying his actions posed no threat to our country on ABC News. Disgusting. He should be tossed on the street or better yet, locked up.

I'm hoping an Independant party gains support so I can believe in something once again.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

OMG. I just starred one of your posts. As many know I am a recovering liberal and devout Democrat.

Thanks, but now I'm worried. Cats sleeping with dogs, etc. Could this be a sign of approaching Armageddon?

Have a good one!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Locked up would be a good thing, but unfortunately, I very seriously doubt he will be. It would be nice to believe in anything anymore. They are all a bunch of crooks. I too feel we have no representation anymore, much like the peasants of the middle ages.

Pay your tax I need a new moat to keep you angry peasants away from me.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

His actions are repulsive and he deseves punishment. Claims he didn't know who paid for his trips?
And Pelosi defended him by saying his actions posed no threat to our country on ABC News. Disgusting. He should be tossed on the street or better yet, locked up.

I'm hoping an Independant party gains support so I can believe in something once again.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

Wow. And I just starred your post as I completely agree with it. There is a disturbance in the force. There has to be.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
CNN: Rangel convicted on ethics charges! 11/16/2010. And not given opportunity for legal representaion. More government tactics to set precedents which allow for the violation of constutional rights, but toward what end?

top topics

join