It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary - Found on Net

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:

* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
* 3 have done time for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yep.. that very scary. I don't know where these stats came from. The place I got it from didn't say.. But if this is all true.. it's something to consider next time election day comes around.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

This is from 1999 and the article never gives names or specific cases...so this is hardly any sort of fact.

I don't know why more people on here don't use Snopes.

Snopes

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

A few points about this piece:

* The information isn't independently verifiable, since none of the people referenced is identified by name. (Why bother to conduct all that research but then not mention any names? One plausible answer is that doing so heads off libel lawsuits if the information proved to be inaccurate or false.)

* The original article is now several years old (having been published in 1999) and even when first published didn't list any names or state when its information was collected, so there's no telling how many of the people referenced might still be in Congress.

* The list is long on vague innuendo and woefully short of hard facts. It describes members of Congress who have supposedly been "arrested," "accused," or "defendants," but doesn't mention a single case (anonymous or otherwise) of any of them having been convicted (or even tried) on criminal charges, no matter how minor, or of having been found liable in a civil lawsuit. We're told that "117 members of the House and Senate have run at least two businesses each that went bankrupt, often leaving business partners and creditors holding the bag," but get no detail about who these members were, the nature of the businesses that failed, why the businesses failed, or who was left "holding the bag" (and for how much). We're also told that "twenty-nine members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse in either criminal or civil proceedings," but find nothing about any of them actually being convicted or ordered to pay civil damages.

* Lacking any specific context, some of these claims border on the silly. "Twenty-one [Congress members] are current defendants in various lawsuits, ranging from bad debts, disputes with business partners or other civil matters." How much significance should we place on such a vague statement in our litigious society, where just about anyone can find himself a defendant in a civil lawsuit over the most frivolous of matters (or nothing at all)? And "seventy-one of them have credit reports so bad they can't get an American Express card"? Based on what — irresponsible overspending, absent-mindedly making a few late credit card payments, or simply being the innocent victim of a credit reporting agency screw-up? Once again, nothing in the original enables the reader to make any such distinction.

www.snopes.com...

I love the crazy stuff that flies around the interwebs!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

This is from 1999 and the article never gives names or specific cases...so this is hardly any sort of fact.

I don't know why more people on here don't use Snopes.

Snopes

I did not use Snopes because I have never heard of the site. This was sent to me by a friend just as you see it here with no reference of date published.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I got sent the exact same email, but it says it is the Australian goverment rather than the US senate.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
so filthy rich men that attract greed from all parts of this country have been accused of several crimes?

The word "accused" appears in your list of deeds more than any other word.

Accused & Convicted are not synonyms.
Accused doesn't allude to guilt.
And indirectly related to anything is not related at all.
And being a defendant in a lawsuit? Are you kidding me?

Look man, i agree with you to an extent that Politicians are stupid bastards. But your post doesn't prove that one single bit.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Irrespective of it's fictional nature.....

Just for the pleasure of it....

To have been accused of something is not the same as having done it.

Again, being arrested for something does not mean you are guilty.

"Accused" - not guilty.

A bankruptcy is a business decision, not a crime.

Served a sentence? Or sat in a jail cell while the details were worked out? Not specific enough. A protesting political person can be so charged if they step on an officer's foot during a raucous protest.

I assume this was written when 'bad credit' meant something.

This I can believe... but even so, it doesn't mean much unless they were trafficking or were violent. PS - alcohol is a drug... the number should be much higher.

"Arrested" - not guilty.

And? ("currently" means nothing without a date)

Unless you are living in a cave somewhere, this should be no surprise. This is a partying crowd!

Can you guess which organization this is?....,

Much ado about nothing..... this was cute..., in a sophomoric way.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
You should see all of the other things I find "on the net"
It's really scary..
ATS for example:
99% accused of being delusional paranoid schizophrenics..
Is THAT the type of people you want to be associated with online ?

b

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Why do people always post information without any references or sources?
Even worse, posting before validating the information! Bad research!

This seems to be a recent trend and quite popular nowadays. SAD.....

[edit on 2-3-2010 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

And its gotten 13 flags... I mean come on

second line

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

While this would be totally despicable if it's true,it would not surprise me in the least bit. "I am not a crook", "Read my lips,no new taxes", "I did not have sex with that woman" etc.,etc.,etc.,

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

it's scary how unperfect life and humans are huh? i mean come on if we were all judged by our background then unemployment would be through the roof! the homeless would rule the world!

getting a perfect politician in office would be as hard as raising the perfect child to be exacly how you want them to be...NOT gonna happen! perfection belongs in dreamland! because that is only where it exists!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I'm sure others have already stated this but please consider the source before you post something like this. The information you've provided is misleading at best and completely false at worst.

In the future, please cite a credible source, so as to avoid destroying your own credibility on ATS. Because I DO want to believe you and have meaningful conversations about a variety of topics!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I KNOW there has been a thread on ATS about this same 'article' over a year ago. I would post which one it is, but I am not too sure the title.

Either way, it wouldnt suprise me one bit if true.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Meh,

I just love our Congressmen.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Posted plenty of times before... use the search engine next time. But none the less a good reminder of how crappy our government is.

The worst part is, is that they get away with it all with either a slap on the wrist or literally nothing at all.

Imagine driving drunk with a hooker sucking you off and you get pulled over. Hooker is still doing her thing, the officer sees your plates and runs them and realizes you're a congressman or some sort of high up politician that could easily influence someone to get you fired. What do you think would happen?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Shoplifting?
Shoplifting?
SHOPLIFTING!!!:bnghd:

That is so ghetto.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Okay people, why so many flags?

C'mon, yes we need to show the hypocrisy and corruption in our government.

But we also need to be correct on the accusations!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Are you kidding me ATS???

Why is this on the front page, with no links to confirm??????

Any mod with a set of balls please remove and replace with die_another_day post.

Originally posted by die_another_day
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been disgusted by ATS lately, gonna get away for while.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

Dude, that is the WRONG attitude.

I called the thread out just before you.

We need to post just like you did.

Deny Ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join