It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Creationism be taught in Public School?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Im writing a term paper and thought this would be a great place to ask this question.
Im currently taking a survey to see how many people believe it should/shouldn't be taught.

Question 1:
Do you know what creationism is? (Answer truthfully)

If you didn't know what it was:
Creationism is the belief that life, the universe, humans, and the Earth were created by a God, or Gods.

Question 2: Should creationism be taught in public schools? Yes or No, if you want you may add a reason why? Thanks

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No. Just because it will appease people and their beliefs it goes against the purpose of school. We are supposed to be teaching our children facts, not philosophical arguments. No matter what people think, evolution is still essentially uncontested. It has more support than any other theory in biology and has gone unchallenged since Lamarck.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Noway, not until it has been proven.

Kids go to school to get smarter, not the other way around.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Geolion1

1.) Yes.

2.) I was taught it in school, so why not every school? But in my case, the school I went to taught all aspects including creation, evolution and the different religions. There's no reason why someone can't be given all sides of an argument and let them decide for themselves which side they want to be on.

To teach just one or just the other is dangerous and amounts to programming or brainwashing someone when not all the facts from all the sides are presented.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Creation Myths of ALL religions I believe should be taught in US schools say beyond the 9th grade (when students at least in the US are old enough to handle 'new' information which they parents might not be able to) provided that the Hindu Creation Myths (especially Purusha and Virj) are taught alongside the Amerindian Creation Myths (e.g. the Doctrine of the Great Spirit and the Earth Maker), alongside the Mayan Popul Vuh Creator Mytns and the Twins Myth, alonside the various Greek Myths of Creation (especially The Overthrow of Cronus by Zeus and the Fall of The Titans, and the Creation of Mankind by Prometheus &tc.), and the main Egyptian Myths of Creation (of course the Ptah Myth might have to be altered a little for the kiddies since it involves 'divine masturbation' ) alongside the 1st Creation Myth of the Jews (Gen 1:1 to Gen 2:4a, continues at Gen 5:1-2, where Male & Female Created He Them in His Own Image And He called THEIR Name Adam, i.e. males-females are created TOGETHER, a no nonsense about ribs and talking snakes, &tc.) alongside the Sumero-Akkadian Myths of Creation (e.g. the Enuma Elish), alongside the Babylonian Myths of Creation of the Cosmos by Marduk overcoming Tiamat, alongside the Chinese Myths of Creation (e.g. Di Jun and his Chldlren), alongside various Shinto Japanese myths of Creation, alongside the Australian Aboriginal Myths of Creation (The 'Ancestors ' & 'Dream Time'), alongside the 2nd Creation Myth of the Jews (Gen 2:4b to 4:26, the so-called Adam and Eve Story where Eve is 'formed' from the 'side' of Adam) alongside the Germano-Norse Myths of Creation, alongside the Eskimo Myths of Creation (e.g. Sedna & the Giants), alongside the South African Myths of Creation, alongside the Central African Congo Myths of Creation (especially Nzambi and his Illness), alongside the Vodoo and Hoodoo Myths of Creation alongside the Siberian Myths of Creation alongside the Aztec Myths of Creation (Especially Quzatocoatl and his war against the dark chaos god Tezkatlipoca) alongside the Druid Myths of Creation and the later Roman Myths of Creation adapted from the Greek as expressed in Ovid's Metamorophoses of the gods) as well as more than 100 other major Creation Myths in the world, both ancient and modern.

But of course, any CREATIONISM that is to be taught in US schools must involve COMPARATIVE RELIGION STUDIES, so I would probably vote for this to be taught no earlier than the 10th grade (e.g. in 5th form in the UK) since children under that age are generally not allowed to compare and contrast their own religion with the traditions of much older civilisations.

It would be toooo much of a shock to their little systems.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

1.) Yes.

2.) I was taught it in school, so why not every school? But in my case, the school I went to taught all aspects including creation, evolution and the different religions. There's no reason why someone can't be given all sides of an argument and let them decide for themselves which side they want to be on.

To teach just one or just the other is dangerous and amounts to programming or brainwashing someone when not all the facts from all the sides are presented.

I agree with you that people should be taught every viewpoint and let them make the choices, the problem is that Creationism isn't a fact, which in science everything that is taught is a fact.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yes - as it has been taught in schools for as long as I can remember - that is, until this latest generation came along and decided "they" didn't want it taught.

During school, when I grew up, we said the Pledge of Allegiance upon arrival to school, and the Lord's Prayer before lunch time.

Things were simpler then - not like they are today. Wonder what changed that. (whistling.........)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yes I know what it is, and Hell no.

However, if it is taught, I hope they teach the version where a elderly woman god created everything from yarn while rocking on the chair...of course the rocking causes the tides to go in and out.
She then spit on yarn and made a wet bit that she molded into plants and animals.
Oh hail the great yarn!

Everyone KNOWS this is the true story! Prove me wrong...Prove me wrong that we are not part of the great yarnball! You cant, therefore I insist my version of creationism is taught to everyone!!!!

And if you disagree, to yarn with you!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomorecruelty
Yes - as it has been taught in schools for as long as I can remember - that is, until this latest generation came along and decided "they" didn't want it taught.

So, what was it like growing up with the rest of the pilgrims then?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I think creationism could and should be taught in schools but taught not in the science rooms where evolution is taught but in the religious studies departments because creationism to me has no basis in fact or reality.

I do not mean to offend those of a religious grounding in saying that as I respect anothers choice as long as it is not jammed down my throat with a barge pole - mother?

However I believe the same can be said of all other religions being taught too and just because I am not religious does not mean that the concepts of creationism cannot be taught in schools – just as long as all the other major religions and religion based creationism theories get a fair crack of the whip also.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hahahahahahaha
lolololololol
yuk yuk yuk yuk
etc

ur s'funny

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yes and Yes. I believe it should be an elective, but as others have said it should not only discuss mainstream Christian creationism. I also believe that the evolutionary processes should be taught in science class along with the big bang theory. The only catch is that in science the children should be able to view all evidence and scientific opinion, not just those that agree with the current theory.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here is the difference:
Evolution:
As seen in nature and in life, those things with an advantage against the odds tend to do better. We can see through fossils a transition from many creatures into other more adapt creatures. The theory is updated whenever new information is added (and new info is added all the time to support and give it more depth).

A detailed account of the transition states, backed by a ton of evidence, is presented from the basic foundations of life of amino acids, single cell organisms, complex organisms, right up through the millions and billions of years to what we have today

Creationsm:
Magic sky ghost snapped everything into existance by magic, then made mudmen on the earth by magic, then tore out a piece of the mudman to make ribwoman and magicked her...then magicked a bunch of other things and it was all perfect except for the fact that nothing was perfect and he got grumpy and remagicked things to start dying.

Hmm, which one is worthy of school

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
No, not by itself. Now, if the USA would like to start a philosophy course, which goes into detail about every single religion, go for it. But otherwise no nuh uh no way.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
just teaching two different discussions in the mainstream political correct views of bearded old santa, to the investors on the board somewhere.
telling students how to think, and what to exclude (to keep a career).
school is good, no questions asked.
political correctness by a few is a pyramid to its own downfall.
we learn that in school, well, some of us do.
learn to drive a car pay for it than sit in an traffic jam to youre work to do overtime.

youre mommy and daddy chunked you away in some overcrowded ...
stuffed in a school that has too much students, with self learning time.
to relax the teacers, blah lawl.
(sniffin time, nothing more on a lot of schools.)

go get a job, go get a car go get a better job go get a loan go get a down payement.

they did a good job preventing that in school did they?
erm wait, lets look at the time now.
do we teach to be smart? or tought to be smart?

what are you in that question, ?
a smart ass (anus), or a bit smarter than that?
[edit] used human body parts to express myself, not to hurt any other person[edit]

[edit on 1-3-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not unless they teach Zecharia Sitchin, Lloyd Pye and Michael Cremo as well.

The Annunaki are way more interesting than the god of Abraham, I mean haven't we heard enough of the same story already?
I am your lord- this, don't have other gods-that...
Its time we heard the other gods for a change.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yes, under certain conditions.

It is never taught in Science classes.

If it is only taught in religious or philosophy classes with the disclaimer that there is no scientific evidence to support divine creation.

If all Creation myths are taught in equal detail, not just the Christian creation myth.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Question 1: Do you know what creationism is? (Answer truthfully)

Yes.

Question 2: Should creationism be taught in public schools? Yes or No, if you want you may add a reason why? Thanks

Yes and No.

If monotheistic creationism is taught in school, then I would strongly decline creationism being taught. If information is disclosed dealing with creationism catalyze the ideology of humanity becoming over-reliant of a deity rather than being self-reliant, then I will strongly decline creationism being taught in schools.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This should be taught if they are to teach creationism:

Google Video Link

2 hours, uses the bible and many other religious texts...and frankly, it makes more sense than any single religion.
Still in the realm of sci-fi, but got alot more credibility than mudmen and ribwomen

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
well i dont buy both sides of the story.
think of it for a while.
like 5 minutes?

just 2 explanations, oh and the religion scramble all around the world.
death and decay, in the core meaning of it, old and questioned by the world now.
well, im sorry for the ones hurt, we see and learn of hell within the word of god and the holy that keep it up.

learning and building is the true way for any life.

not making traps as high as an overdoses.
still in plain sight we let them, do what ever the cross wants., no questions asked, lawyers and high judges keepen their hands clean.
in an fast (between the commercials) oh they did that, and now we go to...

oh my i see why armageddon and rapture is imminent in the usa.

i dont pray, buttocs and hey, ill do it for you when we die in the all mighty. etc

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join