It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth's Axis, NASA Scientist Says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth's Axis, NASA Scientist Says

www.businessweek.com

The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),”

“As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Pretty interesting read. It states during earthquakes, that the earths crust takes the path of least resistance, up. Pulling the mass of earth inward, thus making the earth spin faster. This in turn shortens the day. Only by microseconds, but over time with millions of quakes this would make a difference.

Santa Maria Island off the coast near Concepcion, Chile’s second-largest city, may have been raised 2 meters (6 feet) as a result of the latest quake, Rietbrock said today in a telephone interview. He said the rocks there show evidence pointing to past earthquakes shifting the island upward in the past.

The magnitude 9.1 Sumatran in 2004 that generated an Indian Ocean tsunami shortened the day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted the axis by about 2.3 milliarcseconds, Gross said.

The changes happen on the day and then carry on “forever,”

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Oh great.
Now I have even less time to procrastinate.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Well I hope the Climate Change Worshipers (CCW) don't get wind of this. Next thing you know they will want to tax us all to pay other countries to move all their people to one side of the planet to offset this.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Can we get anymore biblical confirmations going on. Let me check this one.

Mark 13:20
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them

[edit on 1-3-2010 by randyvs]

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The poles are shifting!! argh!!! 2012 is coming true argh!!
OH NOES!!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Don't put off what you could do in the next 1.26 millionths of a second that you could do in this 1.26 millionths of a second.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Sunchine

OMG LMAO that was priceless...LOLOL

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They said the same thing about the quake that caused the Indonesian earthquake.

The thing that makes me wonder, though, is what has/will this do to weather patterns?

Even the slightest axis shift should affect weather. We have sen a LOT of strange weather since the Indonesian quake.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Captain, I always thought you blamed all the weather changes on Global Climate change.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
damn, I knew the day felt shorter...I was like...dude, I am on my lunchbreak, and he was like, no...it ended one, one thousands of a second ago, and I was like, omg, this sucks...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
After reading that article, I want those 1.26 microseconds of my life back.

All the things I could have accomplished

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Oh great.
Now I have even less time to procrastinate.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Oh man I slept in did I miss it?

second line worse than the first.........

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Sunchine
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Captain, I always thought you blamed all the weather changes on Global Climate change.

Not sure why you thought that. I have NEVER said as much.

I have stated that global warming is a misnomer and that it should be labeled as global climate change. Perhaps that is what you mean?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
No wonder I feel tired today.

I need every freakin' microsecond!

If Haiti did the same thing, how many microseconds have I lost in sleep this year!

Is this like the washing machine thing? Can a good quake make moving our orbit easier. Pushing our planet out a miniscule amount?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Suposing that we lost some micro/nano/milliseconds for every earthquake we have. So how much time we lost in one year? And how much time we lost in our entire live? And finally, how much time we have lost since the begining of mankind?

Can someone please do the math?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...
Suposing that we lost some micro/nano/milliseconds for every earthquake we have. So how much time we lost in one year? And how much time we lost in our entire live? And finally, how much time we have lost since the begining of mankind?

Its not every earthquake. Its a few major ones.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Its still no consolation for having to endure those 2+ hours of that dire 2012 movie.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join