It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth's Axis, NASA Scientist Says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Does this mean that Apophis will hit the Earth in 2036 now?

OMG!

IRM

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
ok correct my silliness, but....surely all we need to do is coorect our watches by the same fraction of a second to get it back? Always take the logical approach, thats me.

Now where did I park my car?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Can we get anymore biblical confirmations going on. Let me check this one.

Mark 13:20
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them

[edit on 1-3-2010 by randyvs]

could you explain wha that means? the sake of the elect?

So, if there is alot of earthqaukes, we will age faster? whats the complications behind it

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Laws of conservation of mass... The things mined and made by humanity are all there, they have just been "relocated" above the service, meaning no mass has changed. Asteroids would effect us... or alien spacecraft landing on earth.

'the mass has been relocated' - yhea that was kinda my point... In the article the OP linked you have this analogy....

“It’s what we call the ice-skater effect,” David Kerridge, head of Earth hazards and systems at the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, said today in a telephone interview. “As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”
link

So the relocating of mass towards the centre is akin to the ice skater pulling her legs and arms in and spinning faster... Our taking mass out from beneath the surface and placing it above the surface is like her putting a lag back out a bit and spinning slower.

This may be very inconsequential now, but what about when we have 20 Space elevator all teathered to points on the equator?? that will be uber mass at many many kilometers!!! Our days would me longer!!!!! Maybe by entire seconds

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Ok, we need a geologist or something here. I'm not one, so please help me out.

If an oceanic plate collides with a continental plate it is morced down into the mantle (subduction). The extreme temperatures melt the rock. Magma is ejected by volcanic processes.
Then there is the idea of isostacy "Isostasy (Greek ísos "equal", stásis "standstill") is a term used in geology to refer to the state of gravitational equilibrium between the earth's lithosphere and asthenosphere such that the tectonic plates "float" at an elevation which depends on their thickness and density. This concept is invoked to explain how different topographic heights can exist at the Earth's surface.." (Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org... )
So if this is true, then would there be an ejection of mantle/magma somewhere to maintain the equilibrium. And wouldn't the time lost be made up again?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
what about if we consider all the earthquakes shortening time over the centuries....and add it to this supposed shrinking of time?

“Time is actually speeding up (or collapsing). For thousands of years the Schumann Resonance or pulse (heartbeat) of Earth has been 7.83 cycles per second, The military have used this as a very reliable reference. However, since 1980 this resonance has been slowly rising. It is now over 12 cycles per second! This mean there is the equalivant of less than 16 hours per day instead of the old 24 hours. “

Source

What say you now ATSers? ??

-B.M

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
After reading about the Chilean Quake and all the other recent quakes (nl
hilipines,Kyrgyzstan) .I'm starting to think that this most definitely has a deeper cause(sorry for the pun).
What now happens in all these places is relief funds are setup and monies sent to "help" the people recover from the disaster.
I think that the MONIES being gathered are not for the victims of these areas ,,BUT ,to FILL the pockets of ELITE ,who are running the show ,are gaining more FINANCIAL strenght throught it.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

I say that if time were also speeding up, the measured resonance should stay the same since the measuring equipment would move faster by the same proportion.

Yeah, that's what I say.

[edit on 3/2/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

I say that if time were also speeding up, the measured resonance should stay the same since the measuring equipment would move faster by the same proportion.

Yeah, that's what I say.

[edit on 3/2/2010 by EnlightenUp]

any thoughts on why the resonance IS increasing then? (still looking for proof of that but I swear I read somewhere that the military had done the measurements, not just some random nut...)

kind regards
-B.M

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

From the site:

For thousands of years the Schumann Resonance or pulse (heartbeat) of Earth has been 7.83 cycles per second...

I want to know how they knew what it was for thousands of years. Are there any cave paintings detailing the measurements? Really, how is that value known so far back in time?

Anyway, it seems variations in solar activity could affect it. A smaller gap between the ionosphere and the surface would make the cavity smaller and increase its fundamental frequency. I'm not sure if it is really occurring. Is it even a fact that it has increased? It has multiple peaks of higher modes but I find nothing from a remotely reliable source.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
A SERIOUS REPLY:

Wouldn't this shift affect global tide tables to some degree? (Sooner or later mean high or mean low?)

NOT SO SERIOUS:

I hope the missus doesn't see this article. I've been bragging about my well endowed 8 centimeters forever. Wait until she finds out it equates to 3 inches.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Does this also mean that the moon is going out if orbit faster now? Not just the 1-1.5 inches per year as we spin a little faster over time.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
hmm. so I might not be so crazy after all thinking the days are getting shorter or i'm having less time to do things every day. Does that mean we are not actually living longer, just the current 80 years is like 50 in ages past?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Doesn't that now mean we can live longer?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So in 793,650 days we will have lost 1 whole second due to the Earth spinning faster.

Wow.

Let's all meet back here in 2,174 years to set our clocks ahead 1 second.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sd7000
Doesn't that now mean we can live longer?

Well not really. But our days in a year might increase. If it keeps up.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by Now_Then
OK so some of the Earth's mass goes towards the centre of the planet thus speeding up the day..... pfft 1.26 microseconds, but hey whatever that's cool....

My first thought is what about all the processes that ADD mass to the surface??... Off the top of my head I will mention things like volcanos, material falling from space (that's at least 1,000's of tonnes a year), human indulance (things like mining and building buildings... heck even things like farming and squeezing our kids like we a rabbits)...

So mass is always sort of shifting in and out of he planet... Ahh why am I even bothered?
for the sake of 1.26 microseconds I must of killed thousands of microbes and skin cells on my finger tips typing this....

Laws of conservation of mass... The things mined and made by humanity are all there, they have just been "relocated" above the service, meaning no mass has changed. Asteroids would effect us... or alien spacecraft landing on earth.

This computer I am typing on has been on Earth for all of Earth's existence (minus the parts made from space stuff from the past). It's just been in a different form. Same with my body. The carbon of my body is from the substances I eat, and many other variables.

Nothing is ever gained or lost, energy is never gained or lost, it is only relocated.

Dude. Read about the ice skater explanation. When the skater pulls in her arms she spins faster. She doesn't lose weight.

When the earthquake ''pulls in Earth's arms'' by opening up a crack in the surface and sucking down some buildings and mountains the Earth spins faster.

Likewise, when human ants go underground and drag some of the Earth up to the surface we are ''extending Earth's arms'' out further and we slow the spin of the Earth.

Giving birth to children who will eat some of the Earth and raise it up about 6 feet off the surface causes the Earth to slow down.

Sex is making us all sluggish!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
My question is DID the earthquake cause this change or did something else do it and the earthquake is being cited as the cause because either the person making the claim knows no different or something else has caused it and the earthquake is the convenient excuse.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Breaking news: 'ant trail moves the entire earth'.

Every action has an equal an opposite reaction it seems.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Oh great.
Now I have even less time to procrastinate.

Thanks Phage

Great thread, some excellent laughing material to go with it.

Now back to the advertised topic. the shorter day because of earthquakes.. a serious matter of science.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join