It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth's Axis, NASA Scientist Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

oh the irony..

*points to users avatar...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The comments on here are priceless
S&F

Seriously could anybody here explain what it would take to speed up the planet faster i.e. in minutes instead of microseconds and what would happen to us and life on the planet physically if this were to happen?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by findlesticks

im no scientist. but faster rotation of the earth. would that have an effect on gravity? some say gravity is made by the molten iron spinning inside the earth.

would this make gravity heavier./lighter

maybe the recent time shift has affected us. ( in the millions of a percent of the previous gravity)

Wind, tides, nature in general being confused. bees flying backwards going: zzzuB zzuB.....

PANIC!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I hope gravity is affected so I can lose some weight this way

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

Noticed you are from Chile. I hope all is well with you and yours.

2nd

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If this is true why would NASA guess its true. Shouldn't they know if they have to realign all the satellites because the earth is spinning slower and there targeting is off now.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

thank you. Yes, we're all OK. I'm from Santiago, and even when my neighborhood is old, there's no victims between us. Just material damages (so few in my home hopefully) My family is OK too. I'm still worried about a friend that was in the very epicenter city and we haven't received any info about her yet...
I hope she's OK, that city don't have energy yet and telephone landlines and cellphones are still dead there.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
damn, I knew the day felt shorter...I was like...dude, I am on my lunchbreak, and he was like, no...it ended one, one thousands of a second ago, and I was like, omg, this sucks...

The DAY felt shorter? Man I could have sworn the Sun didnt stand on her normal daily place at 1 PM!!

So ... WHAT is this? At Poleshift or a Timeshift?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
OK so some of the Earth's mass goes towards the centre of the planet thus speeding up the day..... pfft 1.26 microseconds, but hey whatever that's cool....

My first thought is what about all the processes that ADD mass to the surface??... Off the top of my head I will mention things like volcanos, material falling from space (that's at least 1,000's of tonnes a year), human indulance (things like mining and building buildings... heck even things like farming and squeezing our kids like we a rabbits)...

So mass is always sort of shifting in and out of he planet... Ahh why am I even bothered?
for the sake of 1.26 microseconds I must of killed thousands of microbes and skin cells on my finger tips typing this....

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
OK so some of the Earth's mass goes towards the centre of the planet thus speeding up the day..... pfft 1.26 microseconds, but hey whatever that's cool....

My first thought is what about all the processes that ADD mass to the surface??... Off the top of my head I will mention things like volcanos, material falling from space (that's at least 1,000's of tonnes a year), human indulance (things like mining and building buildings... heck even things like farming and squeezing our kids like we a rabbits)...

So mass is always sort of shifting in and out of he planet... Ahh why am I even bothered?
for the sake of 1.26 microseconds I must of killed thousands of microbes and skin cells on my finger tips typing this....

Laws of conservation of mass... The things mined and made by humanity are all there, they have just been "relocated" above the service, meaning no mass has changed. Asteroids would effect us... or alien spacecraft landing on earth.

This computer I am typing on has been on Earth for all of Earth's existence (minus the parts made from space stuff from the past). It's just been in a different form. Same with my body. The carbon of my body is from the substances I eat, and many other variables.

Nothing is ever gained or lost, energy is never gained or lost, it is only relocated.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

You should have just put it off until later.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If E=MC2 wouldnt that mean that the increased velocity in the Earths spin will result in an increase in mass x2?

shouldnt we see an increase in the mass and density of the object? maybe its time for yellowstone to displace the proper amount of mass.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by 7minds]

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by 7minds
If E=MC2 wouldnt that mean that the increased velocity in the Earths spin will result in an increase in mass x2?

shouldnt we see an increase in the mass and density of the object? maybe its time for yellowstone to displace the proper amount of mass.

Squared isn't the same as X2 5 squared would be 25, not 10.

My apologies....i was too lazy to write out squared, it should have been mc2 anyways, which should have translated to (mass x velocity)squared.

i dont know how to write out special characters like that on a keyboard.

the mods were right. i thought grace would be given once in a while. people will troll over anything.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by 7minds]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I was thinking the same thing, but one thing that does change is procreating humans.

World births have levelled off at about 134 million per year, since their peak at 163 million in the late 1990s, and are expected to remain constant. However, deaths are only around fifty-seven million per year, and are expected to increase to ninety million by the year 2050. Because births outnumber deaths, the world's population is expected to reach nine billion in 2040, or by 2050.

WIKI

And perhaps biomass.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7minds

Squared isn't the same as X2 5 squared would be 25, not 10.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

damn, I knew the day felt shorter...I was like...dude, I am on my lunchbreak, and he was like, no...it ended one, one thousands of a second ago, and I was like, omg, this sucks...

, roflmao

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Total biomass remains more or less consistent, regardless of the numbers of humans.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Gravity is determined by mass. Gravity is not necessarily determined by rotation of an object / rotational velocity. If the rotation doesn't change the mass of the object, the gravity will always remain the same. At least that's how I understand it.

The spin of the planets on their different axes' is explained in science using a theory that has been around for a while.. Which is: The planets rotate because that's how they formed (i.e. gravitational accretion). Although there may be other forces at work we don't understand yet.

As far as speeding up the rotation of earth, I cant' imagine that being possible unless it were sped up by an outside object or something. But even then, There are other varibles that would change like orbital trajectory and orbital velocity around the sun.

The earth is basically like a top. There might be forces at work we can't account for yet which play a role in earth's rotational velocity, but once you spin a top it's going to continuously slow down. I would imagine that any dramatic forces at work on the planet (like an 8.8 earthquake) are going to slow it down regardless of where they happen on the planet.

There aren't any forces at work on planet earth that could possibly speed up its rotational velocity save for perhaps internal forces at work within the earth's core. But that opens up the topic to alot of theorizing and speculation since there's alot we don't understand about how the earth's interior works.

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Great, that's 2179.8 cycles lost every day on my laptop. Now I'll never get anything done on time.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Does this mean that the 2012 event will happen sooner because our days have become shorter?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Nah.

The Maya knew all about it. It's covered.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join