It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is going on? A month of record lows?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Your post relating to snow expectations for the 'snowpocalypse, snowmageddon, snowicane, etc.' echoes what occurred here in eastern PA for the same storm.
I agree that it seems like a reach to call meteorology a science.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Also In Florida here, and I have to agree. If we start to see snow in the tampa bay area, I am getting my sorry A out of here!!!! I hate this,I left the NE for warmth, and if I am going to be cold at least I am going to get my toucus up in the mountains for when the floods come to claim florida's landmass, it will sink, get out if you can afford to. I think this is only a precurser to horrendous hurricanes and they will start much sooner than they should...I know my area is gonna get slammed this year, or maybe next year and I have a mobile home...when it comes I am going north, when it claims my metal shack, I will take FEMAS catastrophe money and go up to colorado and live in the mountains...I don't even care if I gotta go into a mortgage, as in so few years all the bankers will be in the bunkers they're building and not collecting on anything anymore!!!!

IT is the sign that our Earth is in dissaray, seven Earthquakes since the start of the new year and three terrible blizzards devastating the NE since the winter has started, tornadoes in areas last summer that have never been known for such weather. We need to get out of Florida, mark my words, it will become apparent to most people that they should leave here in the coming year, I am certain of that.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Whilst I am not dismissing that climate change is happening, as it most certainly is, I don't think it's as dramatic as everyone is making out.

Yes, it's been a weird year, our summer last year happened on a tuesday afternoon round about 3pm.

This however I put down to low solar activity, it's well documented how there has been very few sunspots. This means that most places the earth will have cooled down, this cooling will have affected the weather pattern round the globe.

Plus you have giant bits of ice breaking off at the poles, cooling more of the oceans down.

Back in 1987 the UK was hit by one of the worst storms in recorded history (for the UK), it was a one off, but it happened.

Yes the weather is unpredictable, but it's a fragile system, with lots of things contributing to it.

As for the earthquakes, yes there is a lot of them, but I think it's down to them being reported more in the news, thats why there seems to be more. And even if there has been more recently, it's just one of them things, our short lifespans are nothing in the grand scheme of things. You think millions of years ago, there would have been ten fold the amount of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's what an artyicle from Time magazine says:

"As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age."

Read more: www.time.com...

SOURCE

So some scientists beleive this is a cause for alarm...it may be from the seventies, but there is real scientific evidence we are heading to a global climate change.

Edit to add, I don't think the global warming and cooling trends are indicitave of climate upheaval in and of themselves, but moreso the rate at which they occur, becoming closer together for example changing so drastically in as little as a decade, I think that's where the real concern is. In other words, the pattern is speeding up, this is what indicates to me that there may be something to all this weather stuff happening currently.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The massive icebergs breaking off are adding to the amount of fresh water in the oceans effecting the ocean currents by reducing the concentrations of denser salt water. The resulting ocean currents have much to do with our climate and weather.

A Recent Iceberg, the size of the small country of Luxembourg or 965 sq mile (2,500 sq km) recently broke off from Antarctica.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Previously the icecaps, created during the last ice age, melted more slowly as glaciers into the oceans.But now we are seeing massive breakups of the polar ice caps in the form of huge icebergs which are dumping accelerated amounts of freshwater into the ocean at once, effecting the sea levels as well, at an accelerating rate.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Probably not the best time to invest in ocean front Real Estate.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
As someone whose work is affected by climate change, which, yes, has been noticeable for the last 6 years or so, I am curious about all these claims of record highs and lows in temperature.

Am I missing something? What is the definition of "record high/low" when people say this? Do they mean monthly averages have been record highs/lows? Daily average? Peak ever? Are there actual data that verify these claims?

I ask because every time I read an article about "record high/low", the so called record is often quietly followed with the phrase "highest recorded since 19xx".

When I searched record high/low temp by state, I found these:

Record Higheste Temperatures by State
Record Lowest Temperature by State

As you can see, record highs and lows are all over the place in terms of years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while North America has the longest record of actual weather data in the world (i.e. not just historian comments or someone's journal, but actual measurement from thermometers and rain gauges, etc.), the data were scarce in terms of location for quite a while even on our continent, and our records only go back about 100-150 years, if I recall my university lectures correctly. Actually, I may be being generous when I say 150 years.

That is hardly enough info when news articles say things like "the last few decades have been getting hotter with no signs of cooling", as noted in a previous post about an article from the 70s. I'm not sure you can definitively say that the weather is out of whack for 25% of all records when there hasn't been enough historical data to give grander view of our climate pattern to begin with, especially when we know that the temperature high blip was actually in the 1930s, and obviously humans are still thriving since those years of temperature anomaly.

Yes, climate change is happening, but the climate is always changing. Feel free to prepare for the worst, but please try to not induce fear for hypothetical problems that haven't shown to be there.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread547715

Grenize realized she wasn't right and left. either prove me wrong or walk away as well because im not gonna listen to to babble much longer.

Arrogant little thing aren't you? How about you post some facts of your own, you've done nothing but stick to "global climate change is normal". Yeah no crap genius, but record breaking numbers are cause for concern, otherwise why would we even keep records to tell us where we stand?

Your argument is non existent, you've posted nothing to prove your own point whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned records being broken is something to raise an eyebrow at.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Perplexity]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSdelurker

Well when I stated record high it was for snowfall in my city of Texas. On average we get 1.2 inches of snow, and during this latest bad storm we had over 11 inches. This beat out the previous record of around 9 inches back in the 1940s. When I state record breaking highs/lows I'm speaking for things I have actually been apart of and read online. I'd be happy to try and dig them up for you, but google is as much my friend as it is yours.

Also a major concern is the earthquakes as of late, the two in Japan and Chile seemed a little bit odd but what really made me wonder was the 4.4 in Oklahoma on the same day Chile's earthquake took place. Just plain strange.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexity

I absolutely agree with you that weather pattern has been changing, and it does look funny given our knowledge of about 100 years. I'm not questioning your statement of snowstorms for this year specifically, but "record breaking" of anything will happen at some point in time or other, if something, like our weather, is dynamic, especially when the record is rather limited.

I'm mainly questioning because people (i.e. not necessarily you) keep saying we're having record high/low weather as if that's definite because the media keeps saying that, and well, when I looked up the actual data, it's not exactly true. That's why I asked if some of those claims are from monthly average, etc. since, from my perspective, that's the only way they can make these claims, which would be kind of misleading.

My point is that I hope people don't start running around panicking because "things look funny". At this point in time, it could go one way or the other and we have no information to indicate either way. This year may be the record breaking year for snowstorms for your area so far. Next year may break that record, or it may not. What does either of these situations prove?

It's great that people think to be prepared and stay on the lookout. I just wanted to give the other perspective in hopes that we stay calm while keeping an eye open. Not saying that YOU are panicking, but it's apparent that some people truly are by reading the posts of some of these threads; panicking for hypothetical disasters doesn't help anyone.

Anyway, I hope people around you drive carefully. I'm in Toronto and even people here forget how to drive properly every time a snow storm comes.

ETA: Oops. Forgot to comment about the earthquakes. We've had earthquakes since the beginning of our planet's formation. Actually, I think I read a while ago that if you look, we have a decent size earthquake somewhere on earth every single day. The plates on earth are constantly shifting. I'm curious, what do you think these recent earthquakes mean that's any different than any other time in human history?

[edit on 1-3-2010 by ATSdelurker]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The weather does seem messed up. Here in southwestern BC by feb.5-15 shrubs and trees were beginning to bloom and these past days houseflies have been rubbing their arms together calling for mates.looks like springs here already.I'm not complaining about it,better than an ice age eh?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
In Brazil, parts of southern region had one of the warmest summer in history. It was 105º or more for around 10 consecutive days in Porto Alegre, that, in spite of being brazillian southernmost capital, was the warmest capital in the country after Rio de Janeiro (where temperatures reached 110º almost the entire month of february).
Rain set all time records in many parts of south, southeast and central Brazil and in Buenos Aires, Arg, february/10 was the wettest month in history (around 500 mm of rain). Sao Paulo, America's second largest city, had floods almost everyday in january and february.
Last year, it was quite odd that in the southern states of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina (southern Brazil), there were at least 3 tornados (some others weren't confirmed to be tornados), when normally there is one every two years in the region.
In all my lifetime, I've never seem so many odd weather events happening at the same time here in this region.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
(afraid i skipped pages 2 & 3 , upto this entry)

to my sensibility, the persistant El Nino and the change in the Jet-Stream are the causes for the roaring winds,
the Siberia Express & Arctic Express cold fronts/blizzards are also the result of the shift in the upper atmosphere Jet-Stream..

perhaps the quiet sunspot activity also has a effect on the air current, and the icebergs calving into the ocean currents all combine to the present situation
~ we are experiencing 'extremes' from the Norm... as every 'Average' has to do at times ~

thanks

el nino + sun cycle + tilt of the earth, winter in northern hemisphere

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I arrived in Oklahoma in 1994. The following changes that I have noticed.

Weather: From 1994 to 2000ish, central OK was being hit on a yearly basis with record tornadoes, the May 3 1999 was the worst tornado to hit OK. From approx. 2001 to present the tornadoes are moving east/north east into Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana and eastward. The winters are about the same except for this year we have gotten record snowfalls and cold temperatures.

Earthquakes: Since the start of 2010, central OK has been hit by 10+ earthquakes. How do earthquakes occur if there are no fault lines? I myself had sat through 3 of these quakes( I live south of the epicenter). Now these quakes are moving off to the east. I had also noticed that when the quake hit Chile, Oklahoma was hit by( at the time a record 4.4, since then it has been downgraded to a 4.1)a quake the same day.

I believe there is something or someone is responsible for these changes.

Any answers would be great.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I know England is a pretty cold place but god, we have had terrible snow this year, I really thought it was the beginning of an iceage! ever since i can remember and i am only 24 i suppose but we only ever had 2 days of snow every year but this year we have had about 5 weeks of very deep snow!

Something is definately going on but we will never know until its too late and in full swing

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Crito

If the ice age ended 11,000 there shouldn't be any warming. We should be in a stabilization period.

While it does take thousands of years for the Earth to cool up or down before or after an ice age, it doesn't take this long.

What I find funny is that skeptics believe it could be all these beyond astronomical things like the whole solar system is heating up, poles are shifting, the Sun is out of control. But it couldnt' be as simple as the billions of people and 150 years of industry on a tiny little planet.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

At this point if you don't know the difference between weather and climate, you shouldn't be participating in the debate and calling anyone a fail.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

good job for not reading all my replies. you get a gold star.

now go back and read the whole discussion and then if you feel up to it post a reply.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
i think that 2012 is near, if not 2012, then what?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

everyone thought that they knew exactly how weather worked. and know weather is starting to throw curve balls at us and everyone is freaking out.

anyway fail thread is fail.

i expected better from a mod.

I think you're missing a key point here. In ALL of recorded weather history for this area, there has NEVER been this number of low records here for this kind of duration. Sure, it MAY be a fluke, but it may not either.

Besides, it's the Fragile Earth forum, it's about weather phenomenon, etc. Not every thread here is going to be on the order of a deep investigation of who killed Kennedy (a French assassin named Lucien Sarti)...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join