It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forum Gang Activity On the Rise on Ats?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Some people on ATS are pretty disgusted with some of the blatant trolling on political topics but I for one am pretty disgusted with some well organized forum gangs on Middle Eastern Issues Threads coordinating efforts to derail threads, star one another, and attack and discredit posters.

I realize that there are a lot of dynamics to the Middle Eastern Issues when you factor the various wars, Israeli concerns, other religious concerns, people who have a vested interest financially in the wars because they work for a military contractor, or security outfit, family members that have loved ones and many other things.

Yet there is a line between simple like minded individuals who support similar ideologies and fellow members who coordinate their efforts to single out posters and posts in ways that add nothing of substance to the original post, the broader issues at play or substantive and factual debates.

I am curious to know how many other people have encountered this problem where they feel organize forum gangs are in fact singling them or their posts out, or their threads out to primarily discredit and disrupt rather than add anything of substance.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
First rule of the Silent Thunder ATS experience: You do NOT participate in Middle-east-themed threads.

Second rule of the Silent Thunder ATS experience: You do NOT participate in Middle-East-themed threads.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
That sort of mentality has driven me off of other forums in the past. It seems that in any social situation, people gather into cliques and shun those whom they dislike in a blatantly hostile manner. Let's just hope that the mods in their wisdom do something about them.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I wouldn't exactly call them gangs but there are some conservatives that always seem to show up to my threads and try and counter my observations. Probably just a difference of opinion but I must be hitting a nerve because they have gone to the trouble of "foe" ing me.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Do they show up within short time periods of one another, do they play off of one another, do their posts get a similiar number of stars post after post no matter how unrelated, off topic or unsubtantiated and unfactual?

I think those are the things to look for.

When I see that, I think forum gang.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I wouldn't exactly call them gangs ...

Since the inception of legal gambling people have figured out that it's easier to tilt the table the more of your friends are that are sitting in with you. Act like strangers to each other, and read the signs. Many a decent poker player has been cleaned out by being the only guppy in a shark tank. With online gambling it got worse. One of the early fixes was realizing the IP address of several players were coming from the same house. Probably three people side by side, all able to see the cards each one has on their screens. Seeing three full hands makes it easy to read the deck.

This method had jumped to forums and forum trolling. I agree with you. Most the time it is just a case of like minded people randomly coming together. But the history is there and the technique is loose in the wild.

:|
David Grouchy

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

People sometimes seek the truth, but most prefer like-minded views

The researchers found that people are about twice as likely to select information that supports their own point of view (67 percent) as to consider an opposing idea (33 percent).

Certain individuals, those with close-minded personalities, are even more reluctant to expose themselves to differing perspectives, Albarracín said. They will opt for the information that corresponds to their views nearly 75 percent of the time.
The researchers also found, not surprisingly, that people are more resistant to new points of view when their own ideas are associated with political, religious or ethical values.

"If you are really committed to your own attitude - for example, if you are a very committed Democrat - you are more likely to seek congenial information, that is, information that corresponds with your views," Albarracín said. "If the issues concern moral values or politics, about 70 percent of the time you will choose congenial information, versus about 60 percent of the time if the issues are not related to values."

More in depth (a fascinating read):

Feeling Validated Versus Being Correct: A Meta-Analysis of Selective Exposure to Information

I don't think I've ever posted in that forum PT so I'm not sure what is happening within ... but I venture to guess that the more divisive/polarized/emotion ridden a topic is, the more the above dynamics increase in intensity.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks for the wonderful and insightful reply schrodingers dog.

Understanding the psychological need for some people to validate themselves at all costs is an important aspect of what goes into people forming protective and aggressive herds to contain and maintain their world view.

It’s just a shame when it gets in the way of a quality discussion and trivial things some of us like to call facts.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That's why I haven't posted in 4 years

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

IMO there is a lot of this regarding most topics. I rarely participate in the threads you are referring to though.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I have to admit that I was guilty of trying to maintain a world view! I was never part of a forum gang or anything, but I'll be damned if I didn't try to make people believe my point of view.

I could look back at my past posts and see it. This stuff, schrodingers dog, is awesome. This thread is probably in BTS because it doesn't seem to be star capable but if it were I'd star the living hell out of that post you made schrodingers dog!

Anyway, getting back to the trying to maintain a world view. Do you know when I realized it? It was on a thread that was about Iran or something. Proto, you were posting and mentioning the Zionist agenda. I still don't really know what that is but I kinda know. I asked you that if the Zionist agenda isn't pushed to victory than what takes its place?

You ignored me through like two pages. So I asked you again. You replied telling me to look at the Club Of Rome site. Which I did and I still didn't get it. So I went back and told you that I couldn't get my head around what you were saying. You ignored me again. Then you made a post to someone else, a post that I'll never forget.

We all create our own realities and some people desperately want to suck you into theirs.

The synapses started firing and what not, it was awesome! I was like damn, I have been doing that to others. I am going to look back into my posts to see if I could find that whole exchange again but it was awesome. Ever since then, I think about that quote every day and I even taught my two older boys it so they don't get trapped in their little world and try to push it on people. I don't know, did I take too much out of that quote or what?

[edit on 1-3-2010 by jackflap]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I take too much out of that quote or what?

Of course not, if you feel like it helped you to see another perspective and you learned something valuable for it...it is natural for us to want to pass that value on.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Let's just hope that the mods in their wisdom do something about them.

Dream on...

Oh and the message I've got back from 'Mods'. 'Don't forget we're people too...'

So much for that.

Anyway, here's the deal - If they have to band together then remember they're not strong on their own. You are. Stick to your guns. And remember they're participating in 'herd' mentality - just be glad you're not. If you meet up with people who have no moral backbone and can't stand on their own pity them, don't point the finger. When you do point - you're becoming one of them...

Just stand up for what's right, for what you believe in, hold fast to your point of view (if you're right) and that's all that matters at the end of the day, star or no star.

peace

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Great outlook and an excellent post.

Thanks so much for sharing that.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Just stand up for what's right, for what you believe in, hold fast to your point of view (if you're right) and that's all that matters at the end of the day, star or no star.

I agree one thousand percent silo13. The thing is, I've gone into threads and read them from the beginning. You see a systematic attack that is very unfortunate. Members just seem to squirm away and I'm left wondering what effect that had on them. It gets me ticked off. Some people accept what is being forced down their throats because they feel like they have to. I've seen it. Some members use their status and then the whole starring thing comes into play and those weaker members are intimidated to an extent into feeling funny about their position. Its sickening.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Understanding the psychological need for some people to validate themselves at all costs is an important aspect of what goes into people forming protective and aggressive herds to contain and maintain their world view.

Or it could simply be paranoia.

Either way isn't posting about it a semi confirmation of your own possible need to garner verification, validation or recognition? Some may say that posting a thread on this very topic is a form of trying to garner support for their views.

I could be wrong.

Peace

Slay

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

The sad thing is we are seeing some posters early in this thread stating that they won't post for these reasons at all or post in certain threads at all and that is kind of sad.

Not only do they likely have some wonderful contributions to share but obviously they have been once bitten and twice shy by forum gang type behavior.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Either way isn't posting about it a semi confirmation of your own possible need to garner verification, validation or recognition? Some may say that posting a thread on this very topic is a form of trying to garner support for their views.

So you don't think that there are certain groups of people who post on this very site with an agenda? Groups that will star the living hell out of each others posts and intimidate other weaker members?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Or it could simply be paranoia.

I could be wrong.

Peace

Slay

Actually I am a great detective and not one to make accusations lightly.

I don't live the kind of life where paranoia has room to become a factor.

Rather I am a keen observer of habits, statistics and logistics.

I don't make accusations lightly, there are two forum gangs that I know of operating in Middle Eastern Affairs Threads.

One is tollerable, two is two too many.

Believe me when I say I am being far kinder on this issue than I need to be.

I am prepared to prove my cases and will should they not get the hint.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by SLAYER69

So you don't think that there are certain groups of people who post on this very site with an agenda? Groups that will star the living hell out of each others posts and intimidate other weaker members?

Oh yes...

I believe there are people here at ATS with Agendas. That's for sure. I've never known a site that doesn't ATS is no different.

No, I don't believe there are weaker members.

Everybody is judged on their posts and replies. If somebody feels that they are weak well then that's a personal issue. Maybe they are comparing their insides to others outsides. Which would be sad. True strength comes from within.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join