It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has CERN Killed The World?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think that it is difficult for us to truly comprehend the scope, magnitude, and hence danger of the LHC
I am tired of all the arguments about the safety of the collider based on how small the particles are, or how brief a time they will exist -- remember that the stated goal of the experiment is to recreate the Big Bang a few milliseconds after the explosion that supposedly led to the creation of the entire universe! According to the theory, everything in existence began from just a teensy-tiny speck in just a millisecond of time.
And we are trying to recreate that!
Also tiring are all the assertions of safety based on how particles react at lower levels of energy and according to our past experiments - we are definitely entering unknown territory or we wouldn't have built the thing in the first place.
We are definitely playing with fire...
I can easily see the scenario you write of --- wake up folks, one way or another time is short...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by peri26

Okay, the big bang theory does not state that EVERYTHING BEGAN from the teensy infinitessimal point of energy. It says that the current state of our universe derives from that teensy point of energy; everything contained in our universe was once in that point (unless there are other universes which can encroach on ours, which is not incompatible with the big bang theory). The theory has no idea what happened before the instant after that point began expanding; it has no idea where that point came from, if it came from anywhere. It could've been another universe before this one.

The theory doesn't state how everything BEGAN; it just states what state our universe was in a while ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You sir, are an idiot.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'm still very sceptic towards black holes. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I'm allso not saying they do. At this point, they are still just a figment of a mathematitians imagination (just like dark matter/energy and the likes).

At this point no one has atctually seen a black hole. All we have is data interpreted from a model that exist because of 90% made up matter and energy.

Physicist Lawrence Krauss put it this way:

As Einstein demonstrated in his Theory of General Relativity, a passenger inside a spaceship traveling toward a black hole would feel the ship accelerating, while an outside observer would see the ship slow down. When the ship reached the event horizon, it would appear to stop, staying there forever and never falling in toward oblivion. In effect, Krauss says, time effectively stops at that point, meaning time is infinite for black holes. If black holes radiate away their mass over time, as Hawking showed, then they should evaporate before they even form, Krauss says. It would be like pouring water into a glass that has no bottom. In essence, physicists have been arguing over a trick question for 40 years.

news.sciencemag.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

Well, this is a silly thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yet another earthquake hits the world, this time in Turkey.

The activity in the first couple of months or so of this year already qualifies this year as the tectonically most active since records began.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Here's an interesting article by George Ure of Urban Survival...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2

I hope you saw where the "Chile quake may have tipped Earth's axis" which obviously could set off a whole series of follow-on quakes,

What? No. Did you even read up on that? Every big earthquake does that. The earth's axis has very little to do with earthquakes; earthquakes are all about tectonics, not spin. Of course, the spin of the earth probably effects the motion of the plates eventually in some way -- but the earth's axis moving isn't going to cause extra quakes!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
If CERN accidentally had created a stable black hole or particle capable of doing so, it would quickly gain weight and fall to the centre of the planet. If this occurred, once beyond our reach, it would gorge itself on magma, getting bigger the fatser it ate and eating faster the bigger it got.

If this occurred, the earth would not immediately collapse, there would be a period of several weeks, months or even years before the final collapse.

Maybe it would take that long, or maybe it wouldn't, but it only takes 38 seconds in this video showing what would happen, if in fact it could really happen, which it probably can't:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

No, but don't you understand?! It can't possibly come into contact with any matter until it is at the center of the earth, because if it did before then we couldn't action movie it!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Oops! Edit... (got it wrong first time)

Actually, the title was The Forge of God, the author was Greg Bear and the destructive agent was a particle of neutronium and one of antineutronium, but you're in the ballpark. Anvil of Stars was the title of the sequel, which I haven't read.

There was a Larry Niven short story about a black hole destroying a planet that way, but the planet was Mars. The story was 'The Hole Man'.

[edit on 8/3/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Doesn't everyone here know that we haven't even come close to the particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere on a daily basis? You want to talk about high energy... Oh man!

When CERN can produce a collision that is more energetic than the Aurora, that will be the day I may start worrying.

I don't think blaming CERN for everything is worth anyone's time.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Doesn't everyone here know that we haven't even come close to the particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere on a daily basis? You want to talk about high energy... Oh man!

When CERN can produce a collision that is more energetic than the Aurora, that will be the day I may start worrying.

I don't think blaming CERN for everything is worth anyone's time.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by DaMod]

No kidding mate. People just want to believe that the world is going to collapse in on itself. Perhaps everyone who's scared of the LHC should remove their heads from their rears and worry about the real threats to people like out of control governments.

That being said, what the hell has happened to this board? Not one poster had any relative information or data. Just head in the sand scared cynicism. we're aren't anywhere near the 11 TeV that the LHC was built for and atmospheric collisions happen at magnitudes greater than 11 TeV.

We can not even duplicate the power at which nature demolishes particles. Focus people. There are real threats out there in droves right now.

We've beat the LHC will end the world bush clean to death. Getover it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I am thankful more informed people took over this thread at the end.
0 thanks guys!!

We talk about ignorance and that is what this thread is filled with. People, you have to start researching the things in which you are talking about.

The experiments that the LHC is destined to do it what happens everywhere around us. We needed a way of recording and figuring out what is going on. We wanted to study and prove/disprove our physics theories of today and perhaps tomorrow.

The LHC will create black holes, but, they will be so small they the will burn out almost instantly.

Also, remember they are not just shooting particles at each-other in open space they have world class machines and magnets holding them in place. If they didn't then it would just be nature...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The activity in the first couple of months or so of this year already qualifies this year as the tectonically most active since records began.

How can you say that when the year is less than three months old? It's a meaningless statement.

Anyway, you're wrong. Earthquakes worldwide 2000-2010

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

How can you say that when the year is less than three months old? It's a meaningless statement.

Anyway, you're wrong. Earthquakes worldwide 2000-2010

Yes it would seem are pace this year is right on track to be just about on par with the statistical median.

What ever happened to looking things up

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

This would make a great idea for a motion picture. They should do it in 3d. If its real which I am sure its not we will know soon enough and won't be able to do a dam thing so why worry be happy.

Actually this is more or less the basis of the latest Star Trek movie, except they use a slightly different method to create the singularity, something called "red matter", instead of the LHC. But the effects in that movie are not completely different from what's described in the OP, plenty of ground-shaking earthquakes before the final collapse of the planet, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join