It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Rotor Blades Makes Helecopters Super-stealth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

For all the government conspiracy militia nuts out there, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that there is no such thing as silent, stealth black helicopters. The bad news is that, thanks to Eurocopter's noise-canceling Blue Edge rotor blades, there soon will be.

The extremely loud noise made by helicopter blades results primarily from the blades chopping through eddies in their own wakes, a phenomenon known as blade-vortex interaction. By changing the shape of the rotor blades, Eurocopter manages to pair down the blade-vortex interaction so thoroughly that the sound only reaches the whisper volume of 3 or 4 decibels.

Take a look at the link below for a video/audio comparison of the noise, it's really shocking

Now, you have to wonder if the author is right and this is really the first emergence of silent rotor technology or if it existed before and now they've decided to commercialize it. It appears to be a simple enough alteration to the rotor that it's hard to believe no one has ever thought of it before, although I would suspect a lot of computer modelling was needed to pull it off just right.

Perhaps it did exist before and their obligation to the military has recently expired and they're expanding into a larger market before someone else gets there first. Either way, its pretty cool.

Link

[edit on 2/27/2010 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I hope this is can be used to Revive Comanche Helicopter project!!!

[edit on 27-2-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

I'm not familiar with that, was it supposed to be some kind of stealth chopper?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
the Sacramento county sheriffs dept. has been using the euro-copter for years and it has that technology ,you do not here that thing untill its right on top of you it has 2 modes where it can be silent or as noisy as a huey

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
how do they switch between modes...it looks like the rotor blade is a completely different shape all together

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by standupamerica32

I live in Sacramento and I only hear copter's when they're over head or coming near me. Pretty neat out more about them.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

yea same here it was such a big deal too when the sheriffs got theirs because theirs was only 2 in the nation at that time including theirs but that was at least 5 yrs ago

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PPGrocks

different tilts of the rotor and what not and other things they said that were beind tested and couldn't be reviled

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So these things are already flying around? The article makes it sound like it's a brand new development.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

nope they have been flying around for many years the latest blade may be the news but the technology has been around for quite some time and in production for at least 5 to 10 yrs

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well another parameter in the ecq...is when the tips (end of Wing) of rotorblades start to vibrate and causing them to brake the soundbarrier..so what you are hearing are small sonicbooms repeatedly...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Weird, but the government can do as they please and I do like how effect the copters are for the police here.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Oh that's interesting, I always leaned towards conspiracy paranoia when people talked about them. I'd love to see one of these things in the air, but there probably isn't much chance of that around here, I can't imagine what Canada would do with them. Maybe if they become commercialized and the norm I guess.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
reply to post by masonicon

I'm not familiar with that, was it supposed to be some kind of stealth chopper?

Yes

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This is new technology? Excuse me for being puzzled but I thought this technology was known way back as fat at least 1997 ish. The reason i say this but I remember watching a show about cattle mutilations and one of the things covered was the use of silent helicopters. The show had said that the technology was real and even showed an advert of the silent helicopter. The advert was that of a dog looking on the street from a porch and a helicopter was landing in the backyard the dog didnt even notice. Then the voice came talking about state of the art technology that the helicopter has and gave a phone number and the company name. I cant remember the name as it was a long time ago.

new topics

top topics

join