It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halo And 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Halo is a cool game but think about it. It came out two months after 9/11. The main enemy is the covenant ...a group of alien religous extremist. coincidentally terrorists are religous extremists too. just speculation but could it have some subconscience effect?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Video games, especially Halo are not created in 2 months. 9/11 would have had no affect on the game as the game would have been made before 9/11 occurred or would have been extremely close.

The Protector

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If anything, the Covenant seemed more Catholic than anything.

No, they weren't Catholic.

I don't even know or care what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Halo is is taken directly from an earlier Bungie title called "Marathon".

But yes the Covenant's whole galactic jihad caught my attention as well when it came out!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
No.

1.Halo was most likely finished before 9/11 even happened. It was a launch title for the original Xbox. Hell it THE launch title for it. The Xbox really had very little aside from Halo going for it during its first year. (not to go OT here)

2. Halo went through a ton of changes during it's development. It was a strategy game at one point, a 3rd person shooter, then became an FPS. Hell, the original code was for the MAC system.

3. Halo's storyline takes elements from multiple sources of inspiration, including the book "The Jesus Incident", some of Phillip K Dick's novels, Starship Troopers, and I personally believe that there is a strong connection between the Spartan program and the movie "Soldier", although I have read some of the development team deny that link.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Informative and insightful!

I think you're dead on about the link with "Soldier"!
Children taken by the government and raised to be the perfect soldier...or in the Spartan II's case...the perfect Marine! A life of never-ending training, and flung into real combat before they even hit puberty! Some badass lil kids, man!

Sadly I don't know much of Halo's programing and development history.
I know the lore and game story (including a few of the novels...proud sci-fi dork here!). I'm VERY glad Bungie made the game the way they did, concidering the alternatives you've presented!

So whats everyone's opinion of ODST?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prof. Skrewloose
So whats everyone's opinion of ODST?

1. Too short, way too short. I do not play online multiplayer very much, (exception being Gears) so the "added value" of an expanded Halo 3 multiplayer experience really added no value for me. I'd have prefered seeing them put just a little more into the campaign mode, or even bots for single player enjoyment of the multiplayer maps.

2. It felt like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter meets Halo 3. I enjoyed playing the game, but have scarcely touched it since finishing the campaign. Unlike previous Halo titles, or COD/Bioshock/Doom/Quake/Half-Life/etc where I finished the game and then replayed it again and again until I was able to enjoy it on the highest difficulty level. There simply wasn't anything compelling me to jack the level up to heroic and play through again.

All in all, it's an OK game which should have been a 1600 point download expansion pack rather than a $60 stand alone.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Couldn't agree more!

I don't have LIVE so I expect an awesome and epic campaign mode. Instead after standing in line, freezing my unmentionables off outside Game-Stop in Fairbanks, I got the game home and discovered a scattered, and dissapointing story line.

Its cool that they tried to give a look into what went down on Earth after the Cheif slipped out to Delta Halo. But it was seriously lacking! Not at all what I was expecting, and anticipating. Of course...the originals are pretty tough acts to beat!

But I'm really looking forward to "Reach"!

Wow...this got seriously off-topic! lol

new topics

top topics

join