It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I just heard on CNN that all flights heading into Santiago are being re-routed. Between that and all the bridges that were damaged or destroyed, many people are stuck where they are. That could only contribute to the sense of panic people are feeling.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
#SirJaxx Confirmed. At least 500 people at Concepcion Hospital in "Critical" condition. Death toll rising very quickly now #chile #earthquake

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
CNN reporting the #Chile #Quake is 64 times stronger than the #Haiti quake ..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

This is very terrible. I hate to know how many people are dying and are serious injured.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

Noted. It did not pass my attention. I have been following earthquake activity for over 2years now, focusing on alternative methods of prediction, after a thread I got involved in here. I still participate on that thread, however recent health concerns have me unsure of some precursors, but friday afternoon I was sure of it.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

there will be no SAR teams until the waves have passed and there is always at least 2 waves.

The second is the most destructive as it has the increased height of the first to roll in much further, faster and stronger...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Hopefully, neighboring countries in South America are responding with whatever aid they can provide. This is the sort of thing that helicopters were made for, bringing in supplies and taking away wounded and such.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
A rumour that a town is under water in Chile, just searching for a source. Need it confirmed. Currently spreading on twitter..

#BreakingNews Several hospitals with structural failure, several hospitals evacuated after #Chile quake, says official on local TV news - BNO News

[edit on 27-2-2010 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'd expect the quakes to continue at around +5 - +7 for the next 24h before slowly weaning down, however it'll only be a matter of time before the energy transferrance is shifted to the next part of the fault, which (luckily for Santiago) is further South, but more out to Sea where a more direct Tsunami impact could occur should another Megathrust/Rupture event happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Fox is reporting 47 dead now. This really doesn't look good.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I read on CNN that the whole country was underwater!?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
These earthquakes are directly related to the recent solar activity with the CME from the sun.....

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

I thought earthquakes were the cause of the Earth's plates rubbing.

link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

The whole country?

Can you source that, sounds rather bizarre

link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

WHAT? You read this on CNN.com? I think you must of misread that.... Please quote and add link--

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

It's what I read on CNN, CNN has been updating like crazy! I know the country is on the West coast of South America and that does make it more likely for major damage from waves.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
First video came up:

www.youtube.com...

Looks going to come huge and bad news from there when sun comes up...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Does anybody out there have any info on the CME? It has sort of slipped my mind, what with all this earthquake news. Right now, on CNN they are talking with someone from the Georgia (US) Institute of Technology, who it seems is trying to minimize the seriousness of the recent spate of quakes. Whoah! Just heard, 25 aftershocks so far. I hope their emergency management is better than ours.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

CNN is wrong.

For that to happen, a tsunami 1000km long and 3000m high would have to hit it.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

The CME wouldn't make any sense. If that was causing the earthquakes, why only in Japan and Chile? Why aren't they happening all over instead of in two specific areas?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join