It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigar-shaped UFO 1,000 feet over Okemos, MI, was 'length of football field'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

An Okemos, MI, witness had an afternoon sighting February 16 of a cigar-shaped UFO about 1,000 feet in the air and described as the length of a football field, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) database.

Link

[edit on 26-2-2010 by T0XiK]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by T0XiK

Well OK then. What do you think about this sighting report?

Just some clouds in the sky, or maybe a real deal?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
--- "about 1,000 feet in the air and described as the length of a football field" ---
--- "The object was between 80 and 100 feet tall" ---

While the cigar shaped, charcoal colored part is very believable as a detail from the ground, the other things are not so believable. I mean, for all I know, it could be true, but what I mean about believable is what someone can measure from simply looking up.

From the ground, how do you go about deciding where 1000 feet up is? From the ground, how do you go about accurately estimating the size of an object, be it 100 feet tall and the length of the football field or not?

I think someone who used to be in the air force or expertise in that sort of thing could do so very well, but I doubt very much that the witness has either of those assets.

Either this person is taking stabs in the dark about the size or their being so descriptive because they want to make it seem convincing. I also tend to be leery of believing it when there is an exclusive 1 person who sees it.

The Protector

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I read the report.

The first thing that came to mind was one of the blimps, perhaps.

The estimated size would fit.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Protector
--- "about 1,000 feet in the air and described as the length of a football field" ---
--- "The object was between 80 and 100 feet tall" ---

While the cigar shaped, charcoal colored part is very believable as a detail from the ground, the other things are not so believable. I mean, for all I know, it could be true, but what I mean about believable is what someone can measure from simply looking up.

From the ground, how do you go about deciding where 1000 feet up is? From the ground, how do you go about accurately estimating the size of an object, be it 100 feet tall and the length of the football field or not?

I think someone who used to be in the air force or expertise in that sort of thing could do so very well, but I doubt very much that the witness has either of those assets.

Either this person is taking stabs in the dark about the size or their being so descriptive because they want to make it seem convincing. I also tend to be leery of believing it when there is an exclusive 1 person who sees it.

The Protector

Abraham described his encounter with a demon without a witness. This is a foundation for Islam and to a lesser extent Judaism and Christianity.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
We're talking about the difference between formation of faithful religious dogma vs. support of scientific analysis. Totally different...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

We're talking about the difference between formation of faithful religious dogma vs. support of scientific analysis. Totally different...

Faith doesn't reach toward science, science reaches toward faith. The most prominent physicist in the world now, the Japanese sounding guy allows for anything, everything.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
From what I've come to understand, learning things from Northrop Grumman employees, the cigar-shaped UFOs are very unlike the other types of aliencraft. The cigar-shaped crafts are much more of a biological entity unto itself. In other words, the craft itself is not only alive but very much conscious. They are said to have evolved from a species similar to oysters or clams. Frequently when they are spotted, a mysterious substance is found cascading to the ground. This substance has been called Angel Hair. Traces of this residue are said to evaporate or disintegrate fairly quickly. Not always the case however, traces have been left and also collected and tested. Tests have come back inconclusive because they are made of elements found of this earth. Betty and Barney Hill of the famous abduction story stated that such a residue was found on the hood of their car after their "interrupted journey."

Cigar shaped craft have shown up many times in the past 60 documented years. Who are they really and what is their temperament?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by ToHoldaPigeon]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I saw something similar near Okemos last Sunday. I was on the highway (as a passenger) heading back to Lansing and saw a dark grey or near black stationary cigar-shaped object off in the distance on my right side. Too far away to be able to tell what it was, but it didn't look like a blimp because it was too skinny, and it was quite low. I was watching it to see if it'd move but it never did, and we drove by. I've taken this route many, many times between Detroit and Lansing and have seen hot air balloons and blimps on the way, but this particular object wasn't normal.

Maybe this is the same object or maybe multiple objects are in the area, who knows?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Protector

No one can do it. Without some point of reference it is impossible to estimate both the size and distance of an object in the sky.

I have seen a group of people convince themselves that a 10" balloon 100' in the air was a huge UFO thousands of feet up moving extremely fast.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I was just saying that if anyone, the air force or people of that expertise would at least be a little more accurate. Anyhow, I'm concerned again about your over-use of the word impossible, Phage.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
That is so cool! I got a feeling several day's ago, that the only way disclosure could happen is with mass sightings. But I had the picture of a large craft landing half time in the middle of a major football game!

I think this needs to be the modus operandi from now on..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I was just saying that if anyone, the air force or people of that expertise would at least be a little more accurate. Anyhow, I'm concerned again about your over-use of the word impossible, Phage.
Phage is right, it's impossible, and that's a myth that any amount of training will make anybody better at determining the size, distance, or speed of an unknown object with no reference.

What you may be thinking of, is that police officers can be trained to estimate vehicle speed without the use of a radar gun. The reason this is possible is because they have a point of reference, they know the size of the car, so that was the caveat in Phage's statement.

The other exception to the impossible nature was supposed to be if the object was 100' away or closer, that is supposed to start to get within the range at which human stereoscopic vision starts to work for some people, depending on how good their visual acuity is. But, apparently that didn't help those people looking at a balloon.

Scientists know this, you should too, here's a scientist commenting on how he regards size estimates when he investigates UFOs:

Investigation Casts Light on the Mysterious Flying Black Triangle

"Each sighting requires a great deal of analysis. A witness's perceptions of speed, acceleration, and size are likely of very little value," Miller said. "I have taken an approach of first identifying needs -- or mission requirements -- and technology availability. Then I compare those with the cold raw, simple facts of a sighting, not the conjecture or guess work of a witness," he said.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Interesting story, the writer sounds sane and reasonable, he says he had no exact way to reference it so used his hands which is at least some form of confirmation he tried to get detail.

The light that surrounded it sounds odd, he mentions no stormy weather..

Nice report sadly without any video etc but interesting...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
interesting use of words, the guy who hacked into the pentagon said he was hacking in JUST to see if UFOs were real and said that the first image he saw hacking in was a 'cigar shaped flying ufo'

cool

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
the one i saw in 1999 was titanium looking, could have been manmade, was 380 feet long, yes , with movement one can discern size and distance and speed, i saw no dark or charcoal area, no angel hair and pretty neon light neon blue propulsion on both sides at 5/8 to the aft.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Protector

its true,its checked by professionals- You are a sceptic mind arent you. I remember a friend of mine ones wich were that sceptic, he was so blind it ended up killing him. He couldnt see the facts even if it were right in front of him.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

Skepticism can actually reinforce faith when you use it correctly. I don't buy into everything I hear, I analyze and don't let anyone tell me the "truth" as I will find out if it's the truth or not myself. If I find that it is, my faith in it being real or true is reinforced and it's great.

When your in a deadly situation, it's good to be skeptical, but also prepared... I'm not foolish, I'm just not naive.

The Protector

join