It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Bunning blocks unemployment benefits extension

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by johnny2127

and some....who could walk with the rehab are forced to just settle in and accept the wheelchair because others would prefer to keep their money in their pockets than to extend a little of that gov't aide to them so they can walk again!!!

You realize that makes no sense right? They are forced to sit there because others would not support them? You joking? Its always a choice if you are able bodied and healthy. You may not like the work, but it is always out there. You may have to work multiple jobs. You may have to cut back on lifestyle. But there is always an option. When it comes down to it, no one is responsible for yourself besides you. Money, a lack of stress and free time are not your entitlement or right. You have to earn those things. Govt provides a short term safety net. Not over 2 years of free income. Thats flat out wrong.

Problem was that many in the US grew accustomed to comforts not readily or easily found in real life and felt comfort an entitlment instead of a reward. When did life get fair and easy? When did it stop being dog eat dog? WHen did life stop being 24/7/365? It was a good run, but that's why the rest of the world hates us, because they were envious of our unrealistic wealthy entertainment culture, but not able to sustain it or accept it into their own reality based on realistic conditions , which as crappy as it is, is closer to reality, a reality that they desperatly want us to taste again and live the smackdown. Everyone stuck dealing in reality hates those that feel that they get to live in fantasy. Living beyond ones means is the sina que non of fantasy.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by thatredpill]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Bunnings speech today should be reviewed, He is a patriot, Reid is an abomination to the republic. Either side you chose really makes no difference other than indicating which side you are on and who gets to take or pay for what you have left.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hi All,

I will tell you all of my situation, and you can take away from it what you will, but may give confused people a better take on the whole thing.

I was laid off on February 2009, and haven't found work since. I was in the middle of my tier II federal extension (so I used my initial 26 weeks, then got one extension, and started another which I'm on now) and have just hit my one year mark (on your one year mark, you have to call in no matter where you are in the claim) which for me was in the middle of my second federal extension.

I called in to claim an extension (which was the wrong thing to do since I basically was not claiming an extension, but just doing the one year mark call that everyone must do at one year of being unemployed) and was getting a recording immediately saying that they cannot take my call due to an extreme amount of phone calls. I got this recording 4 times in a row, which shows me that everyone that calls is getting that recording, which also means that the Department of UnEmployment is not taking anymore extended benefits applications at this time.

So, I called in and took the option (push 1 for filing an extension, and push 2 for a problem with your claim) of saying that I have a problem with my existing claim (since they wouldn't allow me to talk to someone about extending the claim) and they put me on hold with a 30 minute wait.

I waited the 30 minutes and finally talked to someone. I told them the situation that I was in my tier 2 of the federal extensions, and they told me that all I had to do was call in for my one year mark, and they would just have me continue my existing claim (since I was in the middle of it when I hit the one year mark) and that when that was done (depending on the extension deadline is moved up) I will be able to apply for tier 3 federal extension benefits if needed.

BUT, if Congress does not push forward the extended benefits application deadline, then I will not be eligable for the tier 3 extension and will lose my benfits.

So, to reiterate: Anyone in the middle of their Unemployment Federal Extension benefits will continue to receive their benefits until it runs out (whatever balance you have left in your claim) and depending on how much time Congress gives us, will depend on if we will be eligible for the remainding tiers we have on unemployment. Right now, if they push the application deadline to the end of March, I will still not be able to apply for tier 3 benefits because I won't run out of my current tier benefits until May 1st (two months and two weeks) so I would not be able to "apply" for extended benefits. BUT, if they push the application deadline past April (when my claim ends) I will be eligible for the tier 3 extended benefits, but will only collect on those benefits (no matter how much they give me) until July 31st when ALL extended benfits are to end being paid out.

Basically, we all all screwed at one point or another. It's going to end at one point, and we all have to be prepared for the sudden absense of our federal help.

As it is right now, no one can "apply" for federal extended benefits due to the lapse in coverage that we are experiencing today (as I type this) and if they don't come up with a solution soon, there will be millions of people that will run out of unemployment this week, and not be able to pay for their groceries, rent, utilities, or anything else for that matter, and many families will be forced onto the streets.

And it's all being done by ONE man, singlehandedly, by one man that was pissed he was missing his hometown's basketball game, and his response when pleaded with to stop this insanity was "Tough #".

This man will be very unliked in the coming days. He already is. This one man is fighting the national debt on the backs of the unemployed, and it's pathetic and wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I feel for you man, I've lost income and benefits and investment and property value. I played by the rules. I also have a child, which chose to evaluate the future facing her, and then chose to put a bullet through her head.
IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. You have to do what's right for the future...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thatredpill
I feel for you man, I've lost income and benefits and investment and property value. I played by the rules. I also have a child, which chose to evaluate the future facing her, and then chose to put a bullet through her head.

I offer my sincere condolences. I really do. I may not fully understand the pain you are going through, but I do know what is pain...

May no more precious lives be lost. It is each and everyone's responsiblity to reach out to family, relatives and friends, in this hour of our pain and put an end to it with credible and pragmatic solutions.

But in the meantime, let us share what we can with each other, in the community. I alone cannot feed the world, but if we, individually pull our resources, can help many.

I'm sorry, thatredpill, but no words will ever be enough or can bring back a life. But you and I can stop more lives being lost, and no one else suffers such pain...with rational discourse and solutions through our elected representatives. Those who failed us must be removed either by resignation or impeachment so as not to block solutions.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I thought I would post this video for all concerned in this thread. This is the CSPAN video of Sen. Bunning on blocking unemployment benefits.

From C-SPAN2 coverage of the Senate floor 3/2/10, Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) discusses his blocking the extension of unemployment benefits and health insurance subsidies for the jobless. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) responds to Bunning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
1 year ago a massive stimulus bill was passed, and a majority of the money has yet to be used. That bill was specifically passed to help people affected by the economy. There is still money available in the bill. The money has not been spent. Yet Democrats refuse to spend it to help the unemployed?

Why pass a new bill, when there is still money available in one already passed?

Congress.........stop wasting our money!

Jim Bunning is a hero.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Most of you don't seem to even understand what is going on with this bill and why Bunning voted no. This bill was to extend benefits for those that have been unemployed for 18-24 months, not everyone on unemployment. Also the reason he voted no was because the Democrats promised no new spending bills without a corresponding spending cut or tax increase to pay for it. This is what Obama referred to a 'pay-go'. Remember? No new spending that adds to the deficit. So, Reid chose to try to pass this bill with an unanimous consent provision, meaning one person could block it. Pretty simple, Reid can have this bill passed by putting it through normal channels, but he doesn't want to do that since people will have to vote for a bill that is exactly against the pay-go provisions that he promised and voted for. Bunning is forcing the bill to be amended so it doesn't add to the deficit, or forcing Reid to be accountable for his bills and promises. He just promised only pay-go financing of bills, then tried to immediately go against it.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I'm sure we haven't spent all of the money appropriated to Iraq and Afghanistan yet.

Why not use that? Better yet...WHY DIDN'T HE PROTEST THAT?

HERO MY ASS.

He's hurting the Republican party by doing this.

There's only 30 million people looking for jobs right now.

That's 30 MILLION VOTES.

Way to go Republicans.

Conservative radio has been pretty silent on this. They don't want people to know what is going on.

Terrible PR move for Republicans....TERRIBLE.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Carseller4

I'm sure we haven't spent all of the money appropriated to Iraq and Afghanistan yet.

Why not use that? Better yet...WHY DIDN'T HE PROTEST THAT?

HERO MY ASS.

He's hurting the Republican party by doing this.

There's only 30 million people looking for jobs right now.

That's 30 MILLION VOTES.

Way to go Republicans.

I don't think you has a pulse on the electorate right now. They are screaming for less govt, less entitlement programs, less spending, no deficit spending.

Do you realize that most people in here aren't screaming about 'whats wrong with govt' but instead screaming 'they gave money to banks, where's mine?'. People are just screaming for handouts and bailouts right now. I would argue the banks should have been allowed to fail, and that unemployment benefits are meant to be short term. Not 2 years which most of the people this bill not passing effects.

Remember, as Thomas Jefferson said, "A government big enough to supply you with everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
oh, I understand what the senator was trying to do.....
betcha he lets fannie or freddie or whichever one it is get their money though...

too bad the bush administration didn't cut a few things to pay for their wars, and tax cuts for the wealthy and medicare drug plan, huh???

na.....they couldn't even include the cost of the war in the budget!!!

ya know what else I am sick of?
having people tell me that my voice don't matter because I don't pay taxes....I make under $20,000 a year...and guess what??
if I were to file married, filing single, I would owe over $900!!
my husband and me have always ended up paying taxes at the end of the year.
where you are getting your information I don't know....but anyone who works pays social security, and here's another fact......even people who are recieving welfare if they are working....are pitching in.
no, we aren't paying 10's of thousands of dollars...because well....we are barely maing over that...but we are paying.
go into you bible and read what Jesus said about the little old lady that gave him the single gold coin!!

as far as the wheel chair comment...
tell ya what, ya you don't help the unemployed, and well, guess what a few of them are just gonna drop down to the hud, the medicaid, the heap, the food stamps, ect.....
you won't be saving crap!!
but, there will be a few, where that little bit of money will make a big difference....
and well, you are talking to someone who came danged near close to accepting a wheel chair for the rest of her life because she fell though the cracks and was told tough luck....the gov't, by the medical providers, and by many on this forum!!

I've known people who sat the arse on welfare, for over a decade my dear, I've know people who have faked a back injury to end up on disability (so they could get out of their child support payment), and found them working under the table afterwards!!!

so, well.....
whatever!!
have a good life.....
just don't expect me to pay for it, or for anyone's employees so that the big corp and rake in the profits, cause that's gonna be ending real soon!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

don't think you has a pulse on the electorate right now. They are screaming for less govt, less entitlement programs, less spending, no deficit spending.

And they will choose eating and taking care of t heir kids over all of those.

Republicans don't seem to care with the trillions we've spent on the war...and the billions passed this year to continue it.

Who cares if the country will be bankrupted before the war even ends.

Might as well give people what they can now while THE MONEY IS STILL WORTH SOMETHING.

Since no one wants to end the war or close our embassies and military bases all around the world.

For whatever reason....it's regular people who have to sacrifice. It always is.

They are against deficit spending...yes...I am as well....but it's not going to matter if you need to put food on the table. It won't matter if you need a roof over your head.

You can try to justify this all day long...you'll never change my mind.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

don't think you has a pulse on the electorate right now. They are screaming for less govt, less entitlement programs, less spending, no deficit spending.

And they will choose eating and taking care of t heir kids over all of those.

Republicans don't seem to care with the trillions we've spent on the war...and the billions passed this year to continue it.

Who cares if the country will be bankrupted before the war even ends.

Might as well give people what they can now while THE MONEY IS STILL WORTH SOMETHING.

Since no one wants to end the war or close our embassies and military bases all around the world.

For whatever reason....it's regular people who have to sacrifice. It always is.

They are against deficit spending...yes...I am as well....but it's not going to matter if you need to put food on the table. It won't matter if you need a roof over your head.

You can try to justify this all day long...you'll never change my mind.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I know that is impossible given what you have said.

I don't think its a guaranteed right for govt to provide money and a lack of stress to everyone. I don't think there is a viable excuse for being a healthy, able bodied person that is dependent on govt for 2 years. I know many people that CHOOSE to work multiple part time jobs to make ends meet and feed their families. Many don't and instead would rather take a govt check. Then they freak out when their entitlement is taken from them.

We philosophically disagree. You think govt should provide for everyone. You think money and well being is a right that people are entitled to. I just think being should be entitled to no more than the freedom to make of life what they choose, and the right to pursue happiness. What our country has turned into is a far cry from what our founders envisioned.

Another Thomas Jefferson quote for you, “Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.”

And one from Ben Franklin, “The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”

Hoe far has our country moved from this? Our founders would be ashamed as the outright dependence of many on govt, and the fact thats govt has the gall to enslave its citizens through institutionalized govt dependence.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

We are in a deep recession. All of the manufacturing is gone. Americans had to sit and watch the bank bailouts and the bailing out of Wallstreet.

Yet we attack our own people who are struggling but these pricks get a pass?
Trillions spent on war and corporate welfare yet those who are taking the hits because of it are now being treated like trash.

It's not right. It has nothing to do with ideology. I used to be a big GB guy. Posted countless videos....I also like Ron Paul.

But there is a time for ideology...and there is a time to set it aside.

Now is one of those times.

30 million people walking around with no homes and nothing to eat is a problem. It will become a problem for everyone who isn't in that position.

I don't believe you see what is at risk.

People WILL revolt if they are left out hung to dry after everything that has transpired the last year.....or 9 plus years for that matter.

Despite what people say...the jobs aren't out there. Just because one company has one position open doesn't mean anything when there are 1000's of applicants for that one job.

I'm still working and I'm damn glad that I still am....but I can't help but think of what I would do if I lost my job right now. I worry about it all the time and it would be horrible of me to criticize someone else as it's definitely a possibility that I....ANY of us...will soon be in that situation.

Unemployment is not fun. I was on it for a month 3 years ago. I felt worthless. I felt degraded and was completely embarrassed when people found out I wasn't working.

It's that way for most people. Yes, there are leeches out there...there always will be....but majority are just hard workers who were the casualty of failed policies both foreign and domestic.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

We are in a deep recession. All of the manufacturing is gone. Americans had to sit and watch the bank bailouts and the bailing out of Wallstreet.

Trillions spent on war and corporate welfare yet those who are taking the hits because of it are now being treated like trash.

It's not right. It has nothing to do with ideology. I used to be a big GB guy. Posted countless videos....I also like Ron Paul.

30 million people walking around with no homes and nothing to eat is a problem. It will become a problem for everyone who isn't in that position.

People WILL revolt if they are left out hung to dry after everything that has transpired the last year.....or 9 plus years for that matter.

Despite what people say...the jobs aren't out there. Just because one company has one position open doesn't mean anything when there are 1000's of applicants for that one job.

I'm still working and I'm damn glad that I still am....but I can't help but think of what I would do if I lost my job right now. I worry about it all the time and it would be horrible of me to criticize someone else as it's definitely a possibility that I....ANY of us...will soon be in that situation.

Unemployment is not fun. I was on it for a month 3 years ago. I felt worthless. I felt degraded and was completely embarrassed when people found out I wasn't working.

It's that way for most people. Yes, there are leeches out there...there always will be....but majority are just hard workers who were the casualty of failed policies both foreign and domestic.

The corporate and banking bailouts are not conservative in nature. Conservative didn't want the bailouts, to banks or GM. Bush and Dems did the bailouts, and as any conservative would tell you, Bush was not a conservative. He was a progressive Republican, big difference. Ask yourself why the manufacturing base in gone. I know you'll say because the jobs went overseas. But take it one step further..... why did the jobs go overseas? What made American labor and products so much more expensive? Why did business need to go overseas to improve their bottom line? Answer: Unions and high taxes due to social entitlement programs. You don't solve what cause the problem with more of the same. Its like an alcoholic curing his hangover by getting drunk.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Bunning actually complained that this debate was interfering with his ability to watch a college basketball game. Well, he's not running for re-election so what the heck...he's a former pro athelete, isn't he?

"Republicans were not just unhappy that the fight was allowing Democrats, editorial writers and activists around the country to portray them as heartless, denying jobless aid to struggling Americans while Mr. Bunning complained that late-night debate was preventing him from watching a college basketball game."

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

yer just looking for an excuse, bush bush bush, zero is bush on steroids but it's bush bush bush. I'm still waiting for you to offer me a hand,you know the one you expect for yourself but dont have any to give. Doesnt matter, zero will be the last president, ya feel me? There will be no more, even if you could fix him and the govt, too much in the pipeline that will still kill most of us off and take most of the rest of us to the stone age. Bush bush bush bush bush only bush bush bush bush, always bush bush bush, How frikken 2008. Fools live in the past, bush bush bush, you got a time machine? Yeah bush was a lib with some conservative lite ideas and some residual affinity for america, but he's a halflibscan, not as bad as a halfrican antiamerican commie that never held a frikkin job or even put on an nat guard uniform. I know whats in store, and it's not gonna be pretty, We're already in a depression that zero hides, yet it''s bush bush bush. Try finding solace in bush bush bush when you're sniffing for carrion and being hunted for food by the obama voters...

[edit on 2-3-2010 by thatredpill]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Did you know that all of the earthquakes in CA are no longer caused by the San Andreas Fault? Obama just announced its been renamed George Bush's Fault. Of course I am joking, but blaming Bush and Republicans for everything is getting ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Fascinating, I have heard of this bush fault, it seems to be everywhere..
What I dont understand the lack of outrage by those that voted in a fool who admits he couldnt see the obvious truth when even a hairdresser could see what the problem was. How many are happy that they've voted for someone that cant identify the obvious, a blind leader, for chrissake, watch yer step. If it wasnt for getting jiggy with getting some more junk inna trunk trim on af 1 on the public dime, there was no need to become chief of state for a country and system our peerless leader hates.
Socialism is at it's fundamental elements about an adolescent fantasy of killing ones boring and strict parent, taking their wallets and having the biggest party ever. That's what we had and the bills coming due. Children think that money and value comes from someones wallet, they dont see that it comes from someones efforts and commitments. Too bad the lesson will be re-taught so severly/..

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Cnn's only coverage of this is on their first online front page saying "Bunning's Abrasiveness Spans Careers" and shows him in his baseball days in a Phillies uniform??

No mention of him being who has caused this?

check cnn.com
check foxnews.com

No mention of this on either unless it's buried
deep in the links somewhere.

Edit to add: I could care less if he's Dem, Repub, black, white, or a two headed dinosaur....... I blame Senator Bunning.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by nomorecruelty] because I'm s'mad I misread Fox's headlines...... they do mention it in the top three at the top of the website. /me shuts up now.

But I still blame Senator Bunning. ^%$# baseball has been.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by nomorecruelty]

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join