It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Bunning blocks unemployment benefits extension

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The Unemployed need to create their own Union and pick a day to march on Washington enmasse.
Millions in Washington protesting ....JOBS OR BENEFITS.....should draw attention not only nationally but internationally too.

It's all very well when the unemployed are dispersed and are faceless and nameless victims.

They really should "come out" and band together and use their right to protest while they still have it.

My heart goes out to those who are suffering. How anyone can even think about cutting benefits to those who are unemployed through no fault of their own is just inhumane and not what should happen in a civilized first world nation.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Good Luck.

Unemployed don't have the money to spend to travel to do this. It is pretty ironic that they spend their unemployment checks to go to Washington to bitch about the money they just got from Washington.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thatredpill
How long do you pay people to not work?
When do you take individual responsibility ?
How much more can you take out than you put in?
Enquiring minds want to know...
And please, no bush bush bush...

You just don't get it do you what happens when the unemployment stops? Most people on unemployment are either waiting for there companies to come back around or new jobs. But the economy is worse now then when it started so that means no jobs.

So this huge chunk of population needs this money just to survive and when the flow stops kiss your job and America goodbye. It is end game and that is why they are so scared cant you just feel it. It is everywhere look around. But you people think well I have a job so it means nothing to me, you are so ignorant it is baffling to me.

I will say it one more time is collecting from the government long term bad "YES". Is it the only way right now "YES" wake up and smell the millions of americans coming to take yours because they have no choice.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Touché my friend.

I am guessing a great percentage are still on it for a myriad of reasons.

Where I am at least there are plenty of jobs if you like making under $20.00 an hour. I live in SW Florida so it's not like the most happening place in the world either - I know I have already stated this but unless you are from South Dakota where I used to live it should not be too hard to find an honest paycheck if you really want/need the job.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, Jim Bunning was defeated the bill passed 78-19. I've been on Unemployment for over a year and my bene's run out tomorrow. Last month I applied for 20 jobs in 2 differnt states.
Why block this when these guy's vote for stuff like this: Case in Point
National Brewery Museum received $450,000 from the Highway Admin..What??? I love Beer but how did this happen? Asphalt and Beer?
National Institutes of Health spends $3.9 million to develop an Avatar sex-ed video game for kids. You've got to be kidding me right..
$3,800,000 for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy. I love Baseball but let them conserve their own stadium.
$1,900,000 for the Pleasure Beach water taxi service project. Do you get to use this? $1,791,000 for swine odor and manure management research. Can't we just pile this up on the Senator's door steps?
All this and they wanna cut up to 30 million on unemployment or under employed. We need to Fire every one in Washington. Debt surpassing $12.5 Trllion today on the clock, which is actually well over $23 Trillion.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I am a little touchy on this one. In Wisconsin the 14-20 dollar a hour jobs are all gone. And I don't think they are coming back anytime soon. It used to be a great place to earn a living with many 20 dollar a hour jobs you could choose from. Now it is 5-8 dollar a hour jobs and you can not pay the bills on money like that in Wisconsin. Property taxes in my city are 3000 a year on a modest house and my energy is 400 a month and that is the budget plan.

And you could say well do some construction work there is none all the jobs are gone even in this field in Wisconsin. They are not building anything it truly sucks. No one and I mean no one is hiring. I was hoping Generac generator would get some work but the lay-ed people off to.

They need to create some jobs before they stop the unemployment or this country is toast. And if you don't believe me take a good hard look it is a simple fact of nature. Many people no jobs no money equals one thing and that one thing is not good.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I am a little touchy on this one. In Wisconsin the 14-20 dollar a hour jobs are all gone. And I don't think they are coming back anytime soon. It used to be a great place to earn a living with many 20 dollar a hour jobs you could choose from. Now it is 5-8 dollar a hour jobs and you can not pay the bills on money like that in Wisconsin. Property taxes in my city are 3000 a year on a modest house and my energy is 400 a month and that is the budget plan.

And you could say well do some construction work there is none, all the jobs are gone even in this field in Wisconsin. They are not building anything it truly sucks. No one and I mean no one is hiring. I was hoping Generac generator would get some work but the lay-ed people off to.

They need to create some jobs before they stop the unemployment or this country is toast. And if you don't believe me take a good hard look it is a simple fact of nature. Many people no jobs no money equals one thing and that one thing is not good.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This just in the passed they 10 billion dollar bill. Unemployment benefits are still intact for millions of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

That would make sense.

Rural areas would be brutal right now (see South Dakota).

Option would be to extend benefits to more rural states and let the others run out. Though I am guessing that would not sit well with a few 'peeps'

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Grow food. Grow food. Grow food. Can it. Dry it. Save seeds for next season. Share with others.

All unemployed Americans should make growing food their new full time job.

Get non-hybrid seeds.

Grow food!

Originally posted by Misoir
My family relies on unemployment and my mom will only be receiving 3 more unemployment checks and then she can not get any more. We live in Florida and the unemployment rate is nearly 12%. There are about 3 jobs every day in the newspaper at most! What are we going to do? What are millions of people like us going to do?

Sure millions of Americans can be homeless, starve to death, and die of illnesses but as long as we can continue with our nation building and $700 some billion dollar military budget its all fine right!? You know why this son of a b*tch is doing this, it's because he is not seeking re-election so he decided he wants to f*** up as many peoples lives as possible before he goes. This is typical of the Republicans, let the Americans suffer so we can slaughter more and more innocent muslims! These politician need to be taught a lesson, a lesson they will never forget! Let's hang this s.o.b. and let it be a warning to all politicians who decide its better to screw over Americans to collect corporate cash than do what they are supposed to. REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!

Edit to add: Let's hang Glenn Beck too and let that be a lesson to FOX News and all other right-wingers!

[edit on 2/26/10 by Misoir]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatredpill

Rape is taking what is unearned. I fail to see any difference in demanding unearned dividends. It would be one thing to ask you circle of friends for donations for your support ( although you keep saying youhave a job) and living on the results, it's another thing entirely to suborn extortion of funds from strangers with their own problems for yourself. NOBODY put in enough money in unemployment to live on it for years, Do the math.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by thatredpill]

but there is a difference when the raped get raped to the point of economic catastrophe, and then told oh, well, you need to be more responsible....and then on with more raping!!
either drop the safety net and let this economy adjust to the fact that the majority of the people cannot afford $300/mo electric bills, $700 rents, insane health insurance premiums topped off with insane healthcare costs, and all the rest! which would mean, either lowering the cost of living, or losing alot of customers....
or extend some help to those who have been raped the past 3 or 4 decades when the whole mess have crashed and they need the help!!

I was listening to my supervisor talk with another lady at work the other day. this lady appearently discovered what I have, obama wants his tax break back. but well, this is what the person who did her taxes told her.
he will tell people that oh, if they only had one more kid, they would have gotten more back on the income tax, and time after time, they come in the next year with that extra dependant....why not?? it's the taxpayer paying for that extra kid!!! if the people that are getting unemployment were "irresponsible", "lazy", and all the other derogatory names that they've been called on this board, hey, they could have found a way to sit on their arses and raked in the money too!! and well, the first people who would have lost those unemployment checks would not have been more likely college educated, professionals that were working on wall street! they were the first ones to get laid off! ironic isn't it??? those that the right were at one time claiming had worked so hard for those nice big salaries and bonuses that they were getting, are now the "lazy", "worthless", "scums" of the earth?? just like their savior and hero Bush is now the enemy?? just like they do to anyone who stands up and tries to into a more moderate position!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by brygivrob

Grow food is your answer what are you smoking? Does food pay the rent or mortgage? People can not just up and start farms to make money. Farmers take out huge loans every year to pay for seeds and fertilizer. You are giving a stupid simple answer to a complex question. Wake up from your stupor and take a look at the real world no offence.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

That's very good news.

Any other result would have been insane at this point in time.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

That would make sense.

Rural areas would be brutal right now (see South Dakota).

Option would be to extend benefits to more rural states and let the others run out. Though I am guessing that would not sit well with a few 'peeps'

I actually live in one of the most populace places in the united states. Milwaukee metro is huge basically from Milwaukee to Gary Indiana is one big city. It used to be a great place for factory work many 20 dollar an hour jobs it is all gone now. It is a shame. And it makes me mad. People just want to make enough to live and be able to provide for a family. America just does not offer this anymore and I think that the lucky one's who still have jobs should thank God every night for the chance to earn a honest wage for a honest day of work. My factory sold us out for the money so they could just make a little more. 500 workers to 69 in one year. All 20 dollar a hour jobs gone. For some Chinese slave to get 2 dollars a hour. I hope the owner of the company has to see the faces of the families he has hurt every night in the mirror. They used the economy just like many other companies did to decimate the good paying jobs.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thatredpill

Everything you paid in has been spent, it's a ponzi scheme and they're cashed out and fat. Your've been screwed and now you want to steall from the rest of us? What'd we do to you? You seem to think that stealing more money from your nieghbors is better than taking if from the officers of the court that actually took it from you and wasted it on themselves. You've(we've) been hoodwinked, bamboozeld, lied to, and now you want to get payback from the wrong party because youre entitled? THERE IS NO MONEY. ALL OF IT HAS TO BE BORROWED FROM US. I'm frikken sorry to be the one to tell you that you can't pay yourself and make a profit. If you try, those in the know will devalue your money before you can devalue it.

You really ARE an idiot...I have been reading your posts and though we are ALL entitlerd to our opinions.....you have shown, time and time again, how deep your head is in the sand about how the world is supposed to work.....you REALLY think unemployment insurance most of us adults have been paying for OVER 20 years is really YOURS, (I bet you're, at MOST, in your 20's.....) and to desire an extension of benefits is somehow STEALING? FROM YOU? And finally...the MOST intelligent of all.....that someone on unemployment can somehow make a PROFIT....WOW! I can see all the money that's been paid to educate your sorry a$$ was all for nothing......
WOW.....wow...wow.....

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

The youth of this country 16-22 is weak of mind and soul. They have bought into a fantasy world made possible by the progressive mind. The women are dumb and the men are weak. It is done on purpose to raise a willing army of idiots. The only problem when they meet generation "X" they are in for a big surprise. Just my 2 cents.

And I want to add this is not all some of you have strong fathers and mothers but alot of you don't. And it is a hard truth I know. But this metro sexual, ipod dream world has made you all jello in many ways. And if you ever decide to take what you don't want to earn the last laugh will be on your generation.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Ouch.. being 23 myself I take kind of offense to this.. but then again, I have to wonder who's weak when I never ate from the palms of Uncle Sam, and there's the likes of your generation who not only ruined the nation, but whine and complain when your free checks stop showing up.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i'm not defending Bunning... but

everyone has to think about it... He had a lot of people before him to
vote against the proposal before him... he is just the vote that put the vote into the trash-bin --- Bunning did not by himself overrule the other part of part of the Senate votes...he had a large enough group that voted in the 'Nay' column before him

lets get real
lets inspect Why there was a large enough group in the Senate to vote NO for a unemployment extension measure, 3 have already been passed before, (but probably without hidden Pork - which may have been the cause to send this measure to the trash can)

reactionary

You are totally right. Its total BS that this is getting blamed on Bunning. Total BS. Bunning is one of the majority in the senate against extending unemployment benefits.

And bunning is right. Its flat out discrimination. If the government is going to do something "charitable" (actually its a mafia extortion racket but that isn't the point in this case) then the government should give to people who need it the most. Those who need it them most are not necessarily those who had a job 12 months ago... but more like 12 years ago. Maybe those people should get some charity money.

And no they money shouldn't be derived from extortion (taxes) that is just sick. And even if it weren't morally wrong, we STILL couldn't afford to bail out the banks and we can't afford to bail out the unemployed either.

Cutting off your right foot by bailing out the banks justifies cutting off your left foot too by bailing out the unemployed? NO! And again if the government is going to play charity they can at least do it the right way and the right way is not through unemployment extensions because there are much better ways to figure out how much in need someone is.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

The unemployment you've been paying into for 20 years, as well as the social security money you've been paying into for 20 years, has all been spent already. Unemployment is done state by state and the majority of the state funds are well into the red ink, meaning the funding is drawing from other sources besides unemployment taxes. Its your generations fault for continuing to vote in the politicians for spending all your social security money.

While its fair that you should try to get your money back that the government blew while your generation kept voting in the same congress year after year , its not fair that the money should come from fresh victims of government callousness and incompetence.

I admit at age 18 I helped vote in the 2-party monster, but by age 20 I figured out how voting R or D is suicidal and delusional. I say delusional in that for example most people in MA are "Independents" yet have the self-defeatist attitude that they must vote for non-independent candidates because "they just can't win". I laugh out loud, but I also know how harmful that attitude is. People should vote for the best candidate rather than turning it into the most absurd popularity contest to ever destroy a country.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Funny. As I read ur post one sentence stands out to me- "Thank God this man stands for freedoms, my HATES off to him". Can You say Freudian Slip anyone. You obviously have contempt for those who arent as fortunate as You are. You are someone I imagine that has never had to go without for any length of time or u would not HATE the idea of helping those in need.

Peace. K*

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join