It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Removes Trash Cans & Streetlights To Save Cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is pretty sad and pathetic:

Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN) -- If you come to a neighborhood park in Colorado Springs, plan on bringing your own trash bags.

To save money, the city has removed the trash cans.

Need to catch a bus? Don't try on evenings or weekends. The city has cut that service, too.

And when the sun goes down, Colorado Springs is going to look a little bit dimmer.

City crews are removing every third streetlight to save money on electricity and light bulbs.

www.cnn.com...

There was also this the other day about police charging $300 fee if you call 911 or you can pay $48 per year for them to pick up your emergency calls:

cbs13.com...

How about a better idea!

How about we bring back the troops, close half the military bases around the world, arrest the bankers, Bush, Cheney, etc. and we'll save HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS per MONTH!

The answer is so simple that it's funny, but of course the people running the show don't care. They want every dollar and penny that you have, so that they can live in fifty million dollar mansions while you live in a trash can.

The upcoming New World Order will have two classes:

The Elite and The Servants

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Such a sad thing when of all things, public transportation, waste management and lighting need to be cut from the budget. Colorado Springs, Colorado because of money problems, now has to abandon people who need a way to get where their going, has to abandon efficient means of waste management and has to abandon much needed lighting.

And Emerald The Paradigm, I agree with you about bringing back our troops because war is getting us nowhere anyhow. I agree with you also on holding those responsible for this accountable. It's so evident that a new world order or something is at the top, educated people who truly know what their doing do not make mistakes as much as the governments make "mistakes".

The Protector

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Emerald The Paradigm

I agree with closing bases and bringing troops home. However it's not going to change the plight of some of these cities. A lot of them have been mismanaged for years. I don't think budget cuts in the federal government will change things for any of these cities. Everyone is feeling a backlash of the poor jobs market right now, especially cities that depend on tourism and other tax revenues.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
that wouldn't work in sim city either.

those fools...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Didn't you get the memo??? We have to increase taxes on everything, permanently, yet cut all of our actual services.

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX, and decrease services rendered. It's the American way.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Emerald The Paradigm

First I think it is just a ploy to get people to vote to raise taxes. Why couldn't they just lay off the three city workers who watch the one city worker actually work?

Second, I think it is good that a city will cut their expenses. If they hadn't overspent for years and set some money aside, maybe they would be able to afford street lights.

Personally, I would just take my trash to city hall each week and drop it on their front steps, unless they were really taken steps to reduce spending that were honest and not a tactic to manipulate the voting public.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
extra money from people littering
and possible petty crime increase (fines etc.)?
I must say that I'm a bit surprised that Colorado is the first to do this (that I know of anyway)

[edit on 26-2-2010 by AmericanDaughter]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well, one thing I agree with and that's turning off the city lights.

I am a campaigner for dark skies and find that light pollution is an affront.

Turn off the lights and see the stars, then all the rubbish around your feet will just seem so insignificant.

Regards

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Soon they will cut back on school teachers, "education", police officers, etc. which will create an official GangLand.

And they will tax car pollutions, farm animals, internet, etc. they've already started.

Look at this:

Reductions in education spending traditionally take the form of cutting teachers, administration or salaries. But with Utah's $700 million deficit lingering over lawmaker's heads, a new proposal has recently attracted as much curiosity as disdain: Make 12th grade optional.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good Lord. Glad I pay an HOA and high taxes. I will never have this issue.

And for the record. This is not all of Colorado. I live in Colorado. And not all of Colorado Springs as far as I know. Many communities have HOAs that cover trash pick up.

[edit on February 26th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Well, one thing I agree with and that's turning off the city lights.

I am a campaigner for dark skies and find that light pollution is an affront.

Turn off the lights and see the stars, then all the rubbish around your feet will just seem so insignificant.

Regards

I could not have said it any better, I live in Belgium, and if you pick up a light pollution map you will see how bad it is around here.

If I would want to see dark skies I would have to drive about 400km to france where some areas are still dark at night...

For those interested these are maps not only of europe but also other continents : link

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Sixty per cent of most cities budget is paying their share into their employees retirement funds.

Police and fire retirements can eat up a big part of the budget.

The rest is paying the unrealistic retirements of white collar city employees that provided no real services to the city.

Most public employees can retire after 20 years of employment at age 55.

With the increase life expectancy that is a long time putting aside money out of the budget for some one who most likely retired and then went out and got another job and retired again from that.

Our children and grandchildren will never enjoy the luxuries we have/had.We sold their future to fund the present.

Remove the light poles?Why didn't they just remove the bulbs?

I have been an advocate of solar powered streetlights for a long time.They would pay for themselves in about two years and then would be free after that.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emerald The Paradigm
This is pretty sad and pathetic:

Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN) -- If you come to a neighborhood park in Colorado Springs, plan on bringing your own trash bags.
To save money, the city has removed the trash cans.
Need to catch a bus? Don't try on evenings or weekends. The city has cut that service, too.

I am jealous.
The revenue of cities and municipalities comes from the people they tax. If they don't have the revenues, they can't fund the services
The corrupted politicians of the place where I live are planning on a huge prop tax increase (in the midst of this recession) instead of cutting services.
Increased taxes gonna throw a lot of seniors and others on fixed incomes out of their homes as taxes keep climbing.
Good choice Colorado Springs.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by pumpkinorange]

new topics

top topics

join