It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same portraits shown multiple times in 60 Minutes tribute?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I just finished watching 60 minutes. At the end of the show they had a 'tribute' to people who had been killed in the war. All well and good... until I noticed that they were showing some pictures 2 or 3 times.

Now, there's nothing wrong with repeatedly honoring someone's sacrifice... but in this case these multiple portrait showings had the effect of magnifying the death toll.

Isn't that pretty dishonest? They effectively doubled the death toll, but in visual terms.

And, yes, i know that people look the same in a marine or army uniform... But I noticed several cases where distinctive-looking people were repeated.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I can't really comment on your speculation, since I didn't see the show, you posted no link, and you don't know for a fact the portraits were shown more than one time each.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Its all Propoganda....... Televison is the equivilant of dropping leaflets on americans..... remember seeing is Believing. I still cant beleive what im seeing!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Catch any of that subliminal messaging put into 60 minutes?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
If in fact his unsupported claim is true, if anything showing portraits multiple times would increase negative feelings towards the war, because so many soldiers are dying. Propoganda? Hardly.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
hmmm... I would be interested to find out who the director/producers of that show are. If anyone finds out, please let me know.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
With over 800 soldiers dead, how many times would you need to repeat?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Hey guys,

I just finished watching 60 minutes. At the end of the show they had a 'tribute' to people who had been killed in the war. All well and good... until I noticed that they were showing some pictures 2 or 3 times.

Now, there's nothing wrong with repeatedly honoring someone's sacrifice... but in this case these multiple portrait showings had the effect of magnifying the death toll.

Isn't that pretty dishonest? They effectively doubled the death toll, but in visual terms.

And, yes, i know that people look the same in a marine or army uniform... But I noticed several cases where distinctive-looking people were repeated.

I wathed the entire thing. I thought maybe once I saw the same guy twice. However, guys in buzz cuts look very alike when they've got their war face on and their hat down low over their brow.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Sorry i didn't have any supporting evidence.... I literally was posting AS 60 minutes was rolling its credits.

I'm going off to see if the show has that clip on its website, now, but I doubt that they do...

To help you guys understand my thinkling: Yes, guys in buzz cuts and dress uniforms DO look the same... however, when you watch something like this, you notice guys with distinctive features. For instance, I noticed a guy, right away, who looked like he might be native american. Because of the way he looked his image was jammed into my mind. In seconds, however, I saw him again...

At that point I began looking at the chests of the men being showed. Sure enough, the same ribbons were there in repeat images...

An not every image was of the 'official' military shot... some pictures showed guys with their kids or doing things. Though these photos rarely repeated, some did.

I'll be back in a minute with a link, I hope...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here's 60 Minutes site:
www.cbsnews.com...

They have their video tribute in the corner, but there is no way to determine if this is the same thing seen on TV.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Boy, oh boy. A big-time WOW!

Me thinks you got tooooooooooo much time on your hands son.

Double dippin� the dead guys� pics- Wow! Shocking!

Assuming you're head�s screwed on straight (which I'm sure it is), you say, Dishonest? Hows �bout another possibility, and if you ever considered it...........

Mistake!

Mal-functioning equipment?;

a spastic person at the turn the picture switch??????

Son, 800 young American boys are dead, son;

Hundreds of moms, dads, sisters, brothers, girlfriends and wives and kids all over this country a grieving........

And all you can think of is them "liberal on 60 Minutes" deviously doubling the count to make the clown who got us in this damned mess, and says �No WMD! �So what! It doesn�t matter.�

Trust me on this one. If CBS wanted to do dirt to GW, it wouldn�t be the doubling the count you picked up on.

Plus, who need do anything. That boy of yours is on a roll � 6 bad weeks in a row � with numbers a tanking����.why do anything? That boy�s on center stage doing a 1 man standup����and it ain�t funny.

Check your priorities����.you may need an attitude adjustment.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Ah, McNutly again....

Adding more insight to a thread.

onlyinmydreams, ignore this guy.

I highly doubt 60 Minutes would intentionally try to over inflate the casualties o the war but if thats what you think you saw, you have every right to bring it up. After all this site is really about conspiracies not just anti Bush rhetoric like some of our more recent members seem to think.

And by the way, unless this guy is really your dad, I find the use of the word "son" to be fairly rude and completely unnecessary. Anyway, keep up your research and let us know the results.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Me too. I'll defend only's constitutional right to be wrong to the death.

Now there ya go.............saying I'm insulting someone again.

That's a common term of endearment..........maybe somewhat on the personal side but I used that to maybe make my words sound a tad softer for the young man..........Is this wrong?

You best share yourself. That's something you might know something about but trying to tell some one else who I am just is a bit out of line.
Plus that type of talk just sturs up trouble................. How come I see no red sticker stuck to you.............who's your Rabbi?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Exploding Pickup Story
The media never lies do they?

Don't hammer the guy for pointing something out.I don't think it was a personal attack on the soldiers,people are just naturally skeptical of the news and what people tell us now days.Nothing wrong with that.

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The most likely explanation is actually a dearth of pictures. There are plenty of victims, they just couldn't get pics of them all maybe.

Actually, thats only the most likely explanation IF you are right. I've noticed the most incredible phenomenon while looking my year book from boot camp.
Everyone looks alike. I tried to remember who everyone was without looking at names. I knew I was in trouble when I mistook recruit Demass for myself, and mistook another guy for Demass and didn't figure out the mistake until I arrived at my own picture and went back to get the names straight. At the School of Infantry I walked up to an old friend of mine to say hi, only to find out that it wasn't my friend... and this guy had been my squad leader for two long months out of a 13 week stay at MCRD- I knew his face better than my fathers, who I didn't quite recognize at graduation until he waved. Most of these guys are just saying "people look alike in crew cuts and dress uniforms" but they don't have any clue how right they are. I've lived around this phenomenon. It takes a few days to learn a persons name and face for sure. When you are sent to the chow hall together at the school of Infantry and you lose sight of one of your guys, you're screwed... you'll never find him. You can't assume that pics were recycled, especially for some negative purpose.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Look,

I wasn't taping the show...

But I'm positive that some faces were repeated.

I am NOT attacking the honor of the troops who died...

...Nor am I a pure partisan (believe it or not, I've been criticized on this board for being a 'whiny liberal"). I have ZERO financial interest in seeing either Kerry or Bush elected..

But I did notice that there were repeats in the 60 Minutes list. Ok... you COULD claim that I'm just smearing a variety of guys together...

But i distinctly remember watching several faces repeat. Yes, I have no way to prove tbis (if 60 minutes cheated I have NO way to prove it)... But I, personally, DO know that there were several faces that I counted twice (or more than twice). They had distinctive faces with specific ribbon awards. I don't believe that I am wrong (BTW, I have never been more upset over an ATS post).

I am NOT attacking the sacrifice of our soldiers. I am only saying that our soldiers shouldn't be used as audio-visual fodder in the media's propaganda war.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I realize, now, that I need more proof...

One face was that which looked native american or hispanic. I noticed this gentleman the second he was onscreen ( he was very distinctive and in front of the flag).

I'm positive that he (among others) had his photo run at three different points. I'm POSITIVE of this. However, until someone submits a recording of the broadcast I can't prove this..

Yes... I can't PROVE this... I know... You can't make an accusation without proof...

...But I saw this happen, and I know that 60 minutes has also run stories without pointing out when they are economically connected to stories that they have run (the Richard Clarke book, for instance).

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Don't hammer the guy for pointing something out.[Edited on 31-5-2004 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Understood. Sure hope you did not see me as 'hammering' you for yoyr post, because I wasn't. And that's why I used the son reference to put my works in a more soft and helpful way. Some one got their nose out of joint with that one too.

WIth this type of communication you loose so much meaning; and when folks read posts they at times put in lots of meaning - but all their own - which may have never been intended, plus................

We have yet to get to know each other.

At times we forget,(me too) the impact..... the effect of losing a loved one, and we start to talk in the abstract.....we loose sight of our priorities.

And those face aren't reall intended for us..........they are for the family, so they could could care less about the repeats........if they had a choice they would have it on all day.

But then...................glad to have you clarify the sit - see- ation and that my suspicions were unfounded. Seems I came in late and missed all you said before I cought the snippet on the pics............

Gotta remember. Ya need the who picture.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnulty
How come I see no red sticker stuck to you

He never personally attacked anyone or harassed a thread creator."

Someone sounds bitter.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join