It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God created man in his/our image. Whats it mean?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
So the god you believe in looks like an ape?

Also if your god did really create our universe, then it's responsible for all of the destruction. What sadistic being would create civilisations, and then wipe them out with asteroids, comets, supernovae, gamma ray bursts, galaxy collisions etc etc etc. This is one psychopathic god that you would have to believe in.

What is the problem certain people have about apes?. If it will make you feel better, the human race developed from more primitive humans. Sorry to pop your balloon, but at a point we think 1.2 millon years ago, since we did emerge from a commen ancestor, yeah, we looked a lot like apes. But we were a seperate species. That species may have split off as far back as 5million or more years. And that kids was just the way it was. The evidence is so overwealming, or hell never mind...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
On the other hand, I just remembered... literal bible readings do describe God as being of human shape and form. I mean, God did come down to wrassle & grab thighs with Jacob in Genesis. Jacob kicked God's ass in that match too, btw. So that's that, I mean, it's kind of hard to put an ethereal immaterial being in an rear-naked choke until it taps out.

And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. 27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. 30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. 31 And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. 32 Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank.

And to further compound on this line of semi-reasoning, if God shares the same morphology as that of humans, then by Linnean Taxonomy - God would be both a mammal and a primate, just as humans are, sharing the same classification and relation as we do with other great apes like the Chimpanzee, Orangutan, Gorilla. After all, in Linnean Taxonomy is mostly based on comparative morphology since Evolution and Genetic Heredity were unheard of in Linnea's time.

Carl Linneas was a upstanding Christian Creationist in addition to being a respected naturalist, for the record. As he proudly pointed out, "Deus creavit, Linnaeus disposuit" - God Creates, Linnaeus Organizes. I wonder if such thoughts ever crossed Carl's mind?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Please forgive my inexperience, this is my first time........

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten son.......

I was taught that Jesus was the only creation that was created by God alone and that every other creation was actually performed by His begotten son ,"Jesus", which was supposed to explain the "in OUR image" part of that scripture. I was taught that the image was the reflection of Godly attributes such as the ability to love or to reason not a physical image.
Of course, after lurking around this place for 6 months or so, I have no clue what I believe anymore!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
well here is my 1/2 cent worth
if man is made in gods image and man by our own nature is flawed and imperfect. then so to god must be flawed and imperfect seeing as we were made in its/his image.
now this is really scary lets look at the so-called ten commandments

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.' -big ego

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.' -really big ego

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.' -guess i just did

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.' -worship me

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.' who is gods parents?

SIX: 'You shall not murder.' -god has killed billions

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.' god did when he choose mankind over the angels

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal. -god steals your life

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. -god speaks bad about other gods

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's. -god takes whatever he wants read the bible sheeple....

now if you truly study the bible god has broken most if not all of these
so i guess it boils down to
do as i say not as i do
i am better than you
god seems like a spoiled child and mankind are his toys to play with

[edit on 23-2-2010 by gaurdian2012]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

What is the problem certain people have about apes?.

Absolutely nothing. That wasn't the purpose of my comment. It was meant to be taken literally because if religious people think a god looks like us, then any such god would look like an ape - fact!

And I'm proud to be an ape.

If it will make you feel better, the human race developed from more primitive humans. Sorry to pop your balloon, but at a point we think 1.2 millon years ago, since we did emerge from a commen ancestor, yeah, we looked a lot like apes. But we were a seperate species. That species may have split off as far back as 5million or more years. And that kids was just the way it was. The evidence is so overwealming, or hell never mind...

I agree entirely. Humans have so much in common with other apes, and the evidence is overwhelming that all ape species are descended from the same family tree millions of years ago.

The second paragraph is simply stating that if god supposedly exists, then he's destroyed more life than Hitler. It's meant to make believers think exactly why they chase a dream of a creator when there's no evidence, and especially when they are begging to have been created by a being that has the actions of a psychopath.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by john124]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The "!0 Commandments" are LAws (NOTs, Denials) -not "commands"
He who grants continuance to all but these has taken away our shame and set free the precious Will.

Established for a relationship of trustworthiness with the 0ne named (the "Tetragrammaton"
four-letter word) or Name of "GOD" (He did establish His Name there at Jerusalem)

He (Yeshuaa Ha'netzeri U'melech Ha'yehudim) is the identity of Messiah which is to
reign the last 'day' (Millennium) and all nations were of by to and for Him.

Into His own He proved to be the Image, on His planet and with His people He Became IT
'our LORD and GOD -though His Source ("Father") is the ultimate Almighty.

Approach the Table/platform of the solid rock as standing upon it and read the Hebrew again,
according to how you read it shall be your judgement of GOD and your response
(if 'LA' or NOT be turned to 'AL' or TO)
shall distinguish you among humanity, Known to Him (yada-yada) are those who are To-Him!

[edit on 2010/2/24 by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

we did emerge from a commen ancestor, yeah, we looked a lot like apes. But we were a seperate species. That species may have split off as far back as 5million or more years.

reply to post by john124

Humans have so much in common with other apes, and the evidence is overwhelming that all ape species are descended from the same family tree millions of years ago.

Actually, humans belong to the superfamily hominoidea. Further, we belong to the hominidae family. We aren't just "like apes" or "similar to apes". We are a species of ape. We are also human, technically a directly descended subspecies of Homo Sapiens known as Homo Sapien Sapiens. Neanderthals were apparently also a subspecies of Homo Sapien (though earlier more divergent of a split) called Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but it really is fairly important to note that we are apes, and that our last common ancestor with Chimpanzees was also an Ape. It leads the wrong impression to say we are "like" or "similar to" apes. I mean, are we merely "like" or "similar to" Mammalia or Chordata? Do we merely bare striking resemblances to Eutheria?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

What is the problem certain people have about apes?.

Absolutely nothing. That wasn't the purpose of my comment. It was meant to be taken literally because if religious people think a god looks like us, then any such god would look like an ape - fact!

And I'm proud to be an ape.

If it will make you feel better, the human race developed from more primitive humans. Sorry to pop your balloon, but at a point we think 1.2 millon years ago, since we did emerge from a commen ancestor, yeah, we looked a lot like apes. But we were a seperate species. That species may have split off as far back as 5million or more years. And that kids was just the way it was. The evidence is so overwealming, or hell never mind...

I agree entirely. Humans have so much in common with other apes, and the evidence is overwhelming that all ape species are descended from the same family tree millions of years ago.

The second paragraph is simply stating that if god supposedly exists, then he's destroyed more life than Hitler. It's meant to make believers think exactly why they chase a dream of a creator when there's no evidence, and especially when they are begging to have been created by a being that has the actions of a psychopath.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by john124]

OK, sorry if I misunderstood what you were trying to say. At my age, every once in a while I fall down and go boom. If my cat did not demand I feed him every morning, he would not lick my face with that sandpaper tonge of his. A thousand years from now, some future historian might find my mummified body on the floor of home office, he would also find one very pissed off cat. To respond to your comment: I don't believe you can place any ones view of a God in the same context as Hitler. Hitler wanted to rid the world of any one not having blond hair and blue eyes. It is tragic in the extreme that what barbarians like hitler did not understand, was racial diversity ensures species survival. The more racial diversity, the stronger the gene pool. Most importantly the greater the diversity, the greater resistance to genetic illness

Sorry if I came accross as a bit of a prick. But I do have an ego the size of the vast Minnesota north woods. I wrote a paper years ago on the survival advantage of someone thinking their Gods gift to man. The reason it works is an egotist does not want to think some one will speak poorly of them, even after they die!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
My interpretation of that "God created man in his/ our own image" is that the Creator, being of Divine Energy, fragmented its own Energy to create all the creations ie, humans, animals, plants, the Universe etc in its own image (Energy frequency). Everything is made of Energy in the Universe and the Universe is a holographic matrix, we all exist within the Energy Field Matrix and are all made of the same 'material" ie, Energy, existing within the Energy Field (Holographic Matrix+Universe).

If you understand my way of thinking, all good, if not, who cares anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

God created man in his/our image. Whats it mean?

Quite simple really...man sees himself as the pinnacle of creation, so naturally, the form of God must be similar. It's a vain assumption, but then, so are some of the assumptions stated in the good book, i.e. the granting of dominion over the animals, etc.

It's funny that most other religions hold God to exist in different forms...or not even in a form at all.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I believe when the bible says God made man in his image, its referring to mans spirit not mans body.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by oliveoil]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join