It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Size Really Matter.?....Let's Compare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You got your Images from there i guess

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by downisreallyup

Order is superior to chaos, and like a large diamond, the complex order contained in the human being (and other higher life forms) is mind-blowing and amazing.

BUT....look at what ELSE we are capable of!!!!

Purile, evil and indiscriminatory cruelty, not only to each other, but to other creatures as well.

on a cosmic scale, this amount to nothing really...our actions have no affect on the cosmos, good or bad... sure life according to our knowledge is precious, but i dont think it matters how evil or good we are on a cosmic scale. cause its just too big to matter

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I think they lied about the Sun being so big and the moon so small. Cant wait to go out and see the reality about planets!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Again I feel it is relevant to mention the thread I started last week -
There is northing insignificant about the human race

Size isn't important. Think of scale... though VV Cephei is incomprehensibly massive, it is relatively 'simple' in nature when compared to the human brain.

On another note though, it's also interesting to think that we owe our existence to such a star - the Sun shaped our planet in such a way that it gave birth to something - human beings - with the profound ability to observe and describe its maker.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I've seen this before. Not in a thread form and explained but in a .gif form a few years back. I was quite impressed when I first saw it.

Reminds me that there was a time lime .gif that shows our time frame to when Andromeda collides with us and stuff. Now that was a cool .gif. Now if only I could find it again...or at least plug in my hard drive into this computer to get it.
Still nonetheless, good post, should of been up here loooooong time ago to be honest.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Extinction is unavoidable if we stay on earth. In approximately 5 billion years our sun will become a red giant and literally envelop the earth and fry other planets like Mars. So if we don't move to another part of the galaxy (or dimension, or brane), it's game over and humans are just a footnote in the history of the cosmos.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
VY Canis Majoris may be the largest known star, but when compared to the size of the human ego, its size is insignificant

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
for all you pale blue dot fans , i have had this video in my profile for a long time, it sure made me wake up.

EDIT : all those that don't like this or think we are very special well you could be right!, if the universe is infinite. and the chance of intelligent life developing is 1 in 1 ... what if we are that one chance ?
enjoy

if we are very special and significant then even more reason to safeguard this preciousness and the message is still poignant imho

QS

[edit on 23/2/10 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
No wonder it is hard to find Earth like planets. Based on scale this could also mean an Earth like planet that would take a week to rotate (larger sun larger Earth). Instead of one day being 24 hours it could be one day being 72 hours long. Makes you wonder if a planet would exist and if the life on it lives for a long time.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

for all you pale blue dot fans , i have had this video in my profile for a long time, it sure made me wake up.

Thanks for posting that vid QS...

I had not seen that before....it brought a tear to my eye.....

To think, what a utopia this pale blue dot would be if all lived 'service to others' instead of 'service to self'.....

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
nice topic, and i know now how big i am? Just a atom in the universe.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Those are cool, but to be honest. I cant comprehend those gigantic proportions. I mean you see it in those pictures, but can you truly fathom it? If so your a better thinker than I am.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Absolutely mind boggling proportions!!

Makes me wonder how Aliens have,or have not located our tiny speck of a planet!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Size matters not , size does not = importance.

What would you rather have a small 1 karat diamond or a aluminum ball the size of a softball.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

The diamond's nice...and valuable, how useful is it, though?

The aluminum could, however, replace my hat. Or I could cook a turkey, or a number of other things. Useful, no?

It's all relative.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
hey...someone has been hanging out in the planetarium.
(or should I saw the planearium)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
S and F!

Truly a giant, but the heaviest stars in the galaxy most likely dont exceed 200 sun masses. This star probably is a poofy ball of gas much less dense than our sun, thats why it is so big.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This really brings into perspective how small our planet is. We are just a nano-speck of a speck of a speck compared to those gigantic stars. I cannot wait until we discover other intelligent life that we can communicate with. We are truly lucky to live in such times.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

after reading "why do planets spin" i conclude, well, maybe.

i am left to ask, "why do interstellar clouds spin"? ad infinitum. they never really explain it fully. i guess because they dont really know.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by ker2010

The diamond's nice...and valuable, how useful is it, though?

The aluminum could, however, replace my hat. Or I could cook a turkey, or a number of other things. Useful, no?

It's all relative.

Sell the diamond and buy a nice Jenn-Air oven
Pretty useful to me!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join