It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

most useles class in school

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
im wondering, school and education.
from young age to you're age now.
what did you really found useful?

or let me ask the question different.

What was the most useless thing you learned at school? i would like to exclude church classes.

i find that at least 50% was total and utterly useless.
like filling in the hours of the day for the real hours of teaching.
(what ever that may be)

my number one useless class:
self education hours , or whatever its called in UK and USA.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hi!

"Music period" (we never did anything music related - it was a period where you did what you wanted i.e. the rest of the class babbled).
"guidance" - another free period
"bible ed" - same as above - we never did any bible or religious study
"physical education" or physical torture if you like...
Got out of that one by going to the additional/advanced maths class (they used the "free" periods for the advanced maths).....

I felt most of school was a waste because they kept on repeating the same stuff over and over again (over several years) and the teachers didn't like it if you had a different perspective. I learned to give them what they wanted to pass the subject/ standard and otherwise kept my mouth shut. :-)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If I haven't missed my mark you are talking about what the US calls study hall

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Going to school is not really about learning useful information, but learning how to learn. You may never need to use trigonometry in your career, but you will have to learn how to tackle difficult problems and sit down with a pen and paper and figure things out. You may never have to play a clarinet solo in your career, but you may have to get up in front of an auditorium full of people and "put on a show" by giving a speech.

That being said, I think the most useless class I took was driver's education. I drive my car almost everyday, but driver's education only taught me how to drive a car. (It would also be safe to say I already knew most of the rules of the road before driver's education.) I could never use any skill I learned in driver's education outside of driving a car.

Another useless class I took was DARE, which was a class where they taught you to say no to drugs. Part of the course tried to scare you into thinking that one sip of alcohol or one toke of marijuana was going to kill you. The second part of the course was about how drug users were going to pressure you into taking all their drugs.

Of course in real life I learned that alcohol and marijuana could be enjoyed safely in marijuana. I also learned that when drug users offered you drugs, they were only being polite. Stoners are delighted when somebody refuses to smoke their weed because weed is expensive.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
chgd my mind, see next post.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Originally posted by KyoZero
If I haven't missed my mark you are talking about what the US calls study hall

-Kyo

thanks, thats it i guess.

when your child has a lot of these hours, he/she generally wont complain about it.
maybe some fights at home becos of this "free time"
you pay a lot of money for education.

reality "check" how much money do you pay for "free learning" hours?

edit forgot quote

[edit on 19-2-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with Study Hall (US term) being a useless "class".

I didn't mention that because I didn't have Study Hall in junior/senior high school.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I also learned that when drug users offered you drugs, they were only being polite. Stoners are delighted when somebody refuses to smoke their weed because weed is expensive.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

Useless class..hmmmm...Alll the ones I was kicked out of.

I just saw your screen name...Funny,Funny,Funny

[edit on 19-2-2010 by psyko45]:\

[edit on 19-2-2010 by psyko45]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

Hi!

May I ask where you are from and why you ask this question. It is obviously important to you.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have found every course I ever took to be worth while to some extent or another. Even if there was no practical application in MY real world...they all gave me insight into different aspects of the world and society...if nothing else, some of the classes I may have deemed useless, eventually proved useful in comprehending and contributing to intellectual and casual conversation.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ontario, Canada here.

Definitely french class.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

I should have added that the most useless class in school seemed to be considered the one I was in!

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
Ontario, Canada here.

Definitely french class.

Pour qua?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

I dont feel that any class is useless. If you are learning something then it's useful it doesnt matter what class it is. All knowledge is good...As for music class, my music class we played instruments and talked about different forms of music...sounds like you had a lazy teacher. As for study hall it's not useless, you are supposed to STUDY.
You have to learn to use your time wisely and then it wont be useless.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Going to school is not really about learning useful information, but learning how to learn.

thats exactly my point.
sure learning methods will change in time.

Erm... Home Economics, I think it was called. You know, like cooking and sewing and stuff. Took it in Junior High (late 80's) and that just tells you how strangely lame my Junior High School was...

i bet, when you think of it that that basis was quite useful in your life, and still is.

a class like >> Another useless class I took was DARE

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by telfyr
im wondering, school and education.
from young age to you're age now.
what did you really found useful?

or let me ask the question different.

What was the most useless thing you learned at school? i would like to exclude church classes.

i find that at least 50% was total and utterly useless.
like filling in the hours of the day for the real hours of teaching.
(what ever that may be)

Sewing, study hall, and typing...utterly useless, typing comes naturally it's not that dififcult a thing to grasp, sewing, why do I need that??? Clothes are easy to come by, study hall, we spent more time talking than studying, mostly gossiping.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
Ontario, Canada here.

Definitely french class.

yes...YES....YES....finally someone who feels my pain...

I got 2 percent in French...that's right 2..and I don't know where that came from even...

Being forced to take a language that one does not desire to learn in a country that does not require it is indeed...useless...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Erm... Home Economics, I think it was called. You know, like cooking and sewing and stuff. Took it in Junior High (late 80's) and that just tells you how strangely lame my Junior High School was...

I took this and found it to be the best course I ever took..

It was full of girls...bored, pretty girls... Hooray for Home Ec, don't know what I would have done without it. It gave me something to look forward to every day..

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
PE. PE was such a joke. Physical torture and intimidation and humiliation.

Aside from that... ummm... Visual Literature was cool but probably not all that useful in the long run.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
PE. PE was such a joke. Physical torture and intimidation and humiliation.

Aside from that... ummm... Visual Literature was cool but probably not all that useful in the long run.

Grade school P.E. I agree. College P.E. not so much...I took canoeing, kayaking, backpacking, hiking and self defense....all useful...and fun, fun, fun!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join