Originally posted by bigyin
Originally posted by justyc
talkradioeurope are about to cover the story in about 10 minutes.
The show can be heard again through their On Demand Service
Originally posted by justyc
And now they have taken down the facebook group just as it approached 10,000 members.
I think theyre getting scared.
the backup group is here
the official website is here - www.newssesnes.com
why don't you sign up there and see why they are so desperate to keep this story quite?
Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Is it possible to submit an FOI to Facebook,to find out the reasons for the group being shutdown?
I think it may be due to someone involved in the case claiming they were being slandered or something.
It would be interesting to find out.
Originally posted by MischeviousElf
I was unsure of this at first.
well the way things have happened in this situation are certainly not "normal", follow any "Policy & procedures" laid down in the Childrens Act or the mental health act, never mind the legal responses.
Something is definitely not right about this, something is being covered up and certainly the ptb pulling the strings in this case are at the highest level possible to enable such distortions of Laws etc... I think way above any political party.....etc
Originally posted by bigyin
reply to post by justyc
Truely amazing thats the group has been put back up again.
Hard to understand what is going on
With the Moira Jones trial, Ms Angiolini showed how committed she is to dealing with sex crimes. Summing up on Tuesday, her message was poignant: women have the right to live their lives without fear of being attacked. “Moira Jones was a woman in the prime of life . . . whose hopes and dreams were extinguished by being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” she said. “But she was not in the wrong place at the wrong time, she was absolutely where she was entitled to be — walking the short distance back to her home.”
Authorities apologise over missed warnings of incest as report reveals culture of 'quiet word' rather than action
A series of failures by child protection professionals were detailed today in a withering report that described how a father was allowed to continually rape and abuse two of his daughters over a 35-year period.
The executive summary into the case described how the family had been in contact with 28 different agencies between 1973 and 2008, and that they had been seen by more than 100 professionals including social workers, police and housing officials.
Sixteen case conferences were held and ambulance workers, a headteacher and hospital staff had all expressed concern about non-accidental injuries and the children's poor hygiene. Yet nothing was done.
Seven allegations of sexual abuse were made by family members – but they were not followed up.
Instead of swift intervention, a culture of having "a quiet word" was found to exist among professionals.
Today Sheffield and Lincolnshire safeguarding children boards apologised for their failings. Chris Cook, independent chair of Lincolnshire Safeguarding Children Board, said: "We are genuinely sorry. We should have protected you. People's lives were devastated both by a controlling, power-obsessed and deviant father and our failure to act."
Sue Fiennes, independent chair of Sheffield Safeguarding Children Board, admitted they had failed the family and "nothing should shield us from that fact".
The nature of the failures were disclosed today, 18 months after the father was sentenced to 25 life sentences for raping his daughters in one of the worst cases of incest ever put before a British court.
The women had finally come forward in June 2008 when their father was arrested. The judge in the case, Alan Goldack QC, demanded to know what professionals "had been doing for the last 20 years."
Today's report was an attempt to answer the question.
It described how the man abused and intimidated his family, and how he moved them 67 times to avoid being detected by the authorities. During that time, two of his daughters, referred to as M and N, had become pregnant 18 times after being raped by him.
Yet despite increasing suspicion that sexual abuse was taking place, none of the episodes was investigated effectively. On 23 separate occasions the women were specifically asked by the authorities about paternity of their children. They refused genetic counselling and there was concern that the father had become violent and aggressive towards them.
Yet because professionals believed "there was no evidence" to prove incest, they took no action. They were also fearful of potential litigation, the report noted.
The girls and a brother, who suffered physical abuse, were on the child protection register for a decade.
Speaking at a press conference, Professor Pat Cantrill, author of the report, said the abuse could have been stopped. "It only really needed one person with tenacity to keep pushing this and pushing this and we might have had a much earlier recognition and action being taken.
"There were people in the community that came forward and attempted to get the agencies to react in relation to this family and they were not listened to the way that they should."
She said a culture of "having a quiet word" had developed, and some professionals simply did not know how to handle the situation.
She said opportunities were missed individually and collectively. "The inquiries that were identified should have resulted in the children being taken to a place of safety – but that did not occur."
Some professionals got "quite stuck" around the situation of incest. "You are aware, as I am aware, that there are a number of these serious case reviews that happen and we always don't seem to learn from them."
The report found the father intimidated and frightened his wife and children using physical violence and bullying.
His wife left in 1992, leaving the children with him. "Professionals failed to listen and consider the situation from the child's perspective," the summary concluded. "They did not see the children and, where possible, talk to them and find out what they thought and felt about the issues. Too often the professionals took the word of parents at face value without considering the effects on the child."
It found professionals were often on the back foot because some were afraid of the father. "There is also an issue of professionals stereotyping and being judgmental of adults M and N and failing to see the growing pressure on the women of the frequent pregnancies." It found agencies were waiting for M and N to disclose abuse, yet research finds that 40% of victims of serious sexual assault don't tell.
"There was evidence of practitioners working in narrow silos," the report found. "There is an individual and collective community responsibility on us as members of society to protect children. Members of the family and community tried to play their part in safeguarding the children … with a frustrating outcome."