It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Outlaws Cash 2011. It Starts.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Note that the cash transaction limit is under the TAX reform category. The reason for that, and something that every Greek is familiar with, is that Greece is rife with tax fraud and government/business corruption, which in most cases happens with vast cash transactions. It was always an understood and running joke amongst Greeks, that we always complain that we're all broke while at the same time walk around with huge wads of cash in our pockets.

From a distance it might seem as this is a pretext to introduce a cashless society (and it might be), but on a real and practical level this measure seems to be the only way to curb decades and a culture of under the table dealings, kickbacks, and even more sordid criminal behavior. Even something as seemingly unrelated as the massive fires by arson we experience every summer can be traced to large cash transactions.

[edit on 16 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

So for every step taken we have a good reason given, in front of the real reason hidden.

At best this sounds like a lazy way of dealing with the *ahem* problem.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
Also, is it me or does it seem odd to leave any kind of ceiling i.e. 1,500 and above. Surely you need to outlaw cash period.

They're using the boiled frog technique. Again!

If they did it too fast, and outlawed cash altogether, they risk waking people up.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
oh my god. it really is happening. I have know it was going to happen for so long, but always not right now. Words cannot describe how scared I am right now for humanity. . It Truly has begun. We have lost. I feel sad in a way I never felt possible.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a cashless society will be one step closer to becoming a robot. it takes the fun of having a roll of 100's in your pocket.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hermes8

2- my guess is that checks would be considered cash

Checks are still traceable.

Just a small quick observation if they tried this in the US. They better change some things with the credit and debit cards so people can purchase large ticket items. There are people who prefer not to obtain loans or mortgages, and love to go on large shopping sprees. Credit cards are not good for large shopping sprees.

I tried to buy a $3000 bunk bed online, and couldn't use my debit card to do it, because of limits. I couldn't get it raised even though I had more than enough money in my bank account. If I had a lot of money, I would hate to have my credit card company or bank call me every time I tried to do a large purchase.

A very long time ago. I used my credit card to do multiple purchases in various stores, and also bought necessary items for my fiance for our wedding and honeymoon plans. Half way through the shopping trip, I couldn't use the card any longer. I still had plenty of room left on it. When I finally got home, the phone was ringing off the hook with company personal asking if the card was stolen. Actually they already assumed it was stolen and put a block on it. I ended up having to get a new card because of that.

Their excuse to do that without my consent was because I was making a large amount of highly unusual transactions. They pointed out that I bought two pair of mens shoes from two different shoe stores. I was basically ripping them a new one at that time not believing they would put a hold just because I decided to change my shopping patterns for a special occasion.

Now I see the value of buying things even expensive items with all cash. The last car I bought was with all cash. Well check that is. Some people really freak out if they see a very large amount of actual cash. If I ever buy another house, I refuse to get another mortgage. I know even in today's economy there are people who pay for houses in all cash. More like check or bank transfers.

If checks and bank transfers were labeled as cash deals as well, I can see a whole slew of problems rising up.

Aunt Jamie wants to sell the family heirloom to uncle Joe for $3,000, but can't process debit or credit cards. Online transfer sites such as PayPal set a limit or are not trustworthy enough. Without being able to write a check or do a bank transfer to Aunt Jamie, how is Uncle Joe going to pay for the family heirloom?

I wonder if there are still any businesses that sell items at a high price, and demand only cash. I know a few years back I have heard of business going to buy product with a large amount of cash, since the company they deal with will only take cash. The airport police confiscated all the cash as drug money. He was jailed only to be released later as totally innocent, and his story 100% true. The last I heard the money still wasn't returned to him.

Times are really changing.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
Sorry but this is a perfect example of someone posting something that does not understand the situation and just decides the reason for an action.

A huge problem in Greece is rampant corruption through every level of business and govt. The level of corruption is much worse than the US. To get just about anything done in Greece, a bribe needs to be paid. Need medical attention? Bribe. Need something done within govt? Bribe.

This is done purely to bring down costs for everyone, fight organized crime, and bring fairness and honesty back into the system. I don't agree with how they are going about it at all. Not one single bit. But that is the intention.

Of course problem, reaction, solution. The NWO wants an all cash society, they test it in a small part of the world in their baby step fashion. They create the problem of rampant corruption of every level. Reaction, rise in organized crime, major bribing going on, and lowers taxes being able to be collected. Then they bring in their own solution, which they had from the beginning. Limit cash and increase credit and debit card use, which will start to get the people use to using cards instead of cash. Then the next problem, reaction, solution will happen to push the agenda even further.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Looks like a way to fight inflation by making the Euro harder to obtain. Sort of like flawless diamonds are more expensive because they are less common.

That's what I was thinking, back in the 70s there was some bs law that prevented you taking more than £10 out of the country!!! :O

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by chefbalowe
oh my god. it really is happening. I have know it was going to happen for so long, but always not right now. Words cannot describe how scared I am right now for humanity. . It Truly has begun. We have lost. I feel sad in a way I never felt possible.

Do not be afraid. God gave us all a heavenly "heads up" in the
book of Revelation . I hope there is a Greek version of the
Holy Bible over there. I expect to see more of a carrot/stick approach
in France. The chip under the skin will be the next step.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
"From 1. Jan. 2011, every transaction above 1,500 euros between natural persons and businesses, or between businesses, will not be considered legal if it is done in cash. Transactions will have to be done through debit or credit cards"

This is unclear in the way it says 'between natural persons and businesses'
Does it mean that if I sell a car for 2000 Euros to my mate it's illegal in cash? Or is it selling to a dealership (business) is illegal in cash?

Either way it doesn't look good as other EU countries could follow. I can easily see money being withheld by the bank / state only released at a trickle...

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Another good reason for using cash... when I settle on a price with a merchant
( usually over 1,000 ) for merchandise, I ask if they offer a 'cash discount'.
They avoid credit card fees and can be 'creative' with their accounting.
Last time I did that I got an extra $250 knocked off a $3300 purchase.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
reply to post by Hermes8

First, your title is misleading. Greece did not outlaw cash.

Second, how many times does anybody buy anything over 1500 with cash? I mean seriously. When is the last time you bought anything over 1500 with cash?

This is nothing. Untwist your panties.

I think you miss the point. Think incrementalism. First it is 1500 what is next? They already ceeded their individual soverignty by joining the Euro.

And though I am not a Greek or a resident of Greece, I have made many, many purchases over $2000 USD with cash. It is my prefered method of payment especially these days with so much of what we do being subject to police state scrutiny.

It is no one's business what I buy or sell, when/where I buy/sell it accept for the other party to the transaction. I suspect there are many citizens of Greece who feel the same way and hopefully they will fight back.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
"From 1. Jan. 2011, every transaction above 1,500 euros between natural persons and businesses, or between businesses, will not be considered legal if it is done in cash. Transactions will have to be done through debit or credit cards"

This is unclear in the way it says 'between natural persons and businesses'
Does it mean that if I sell a car for 2000 Euros to my mate it's illegal in cash? Or is it selling to a dealership (business) is illegal in cash?

Either way it doesn't look good as other EU countries could follow. I can easily see money being withheld by the bank / state only released at a trickle...

As I understand the sourced article, FOR NOW, private sales are not affected. Again, incrementalism is at work.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

The Greeks have a way out.
Demand to be kicked out of the European Union and switch
back to their own currency. That way they can print money
if they choose to do so. They just have to survive for 3 years
then i have an even better solution.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
i SERIOUSLY hope the greek dont take this lying down... apparently several 'large US banks' helped greece hide their debts by giving them huge loans but hiding the interest....

the government has been corrupt for years..banks have now been found to have helped...and the people are being made to pay..AGAIN...

NO!!!!!!....stand up greece...you could be a shining example for the rest of us...

[edit on 17-2-2010 by alienesque]

well.....seems they may have understood whats going on...

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 17-2-2010 by alienesque]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
....... the time is at hand

..... to reap what you have sown ..... devil rock

you missed the turn off at the crossroads ...

.. now the Living God's Will be done

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by havok

I tend to agree with you but so much of the drug trade carried on by the CIA relies on cash. The underground economy cannot go digital so it would be kinda like shooting themselves in the foot to do it here.

That's rather astute. Had to give you a star.
Maybe the addicts will then have to go directly to gobermnt sponsored drug houses and get their meth/coke/pot ect there. Maybe not. But electro cash is coming! And it won't be good.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Violater1]

Its a free market

that's all

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by WatchRider

They just have to survive for 3 years
then i have an even better solution.

Lemme guess

Milk from Palins breasts???

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
While technically cash will still be allowed in Greece, this isn't much different from the United States. Here in the U.S., if the police catch you with having more than $10,000 in cash, you get interrogated because they use that as probable cause for a drug investigation. I also heard that if you withdraw from the bank more than $10,000 your name get flagged and reported to the Department of Homeland security / or FBI. I read this a few years back during the Bush years.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Raven Hemp

thats exactly what i was thinking they are leading too hopefully this isn't the case

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I've been thinking this for ages mate and the thread confirms it, I actually had it from Star Wars.. Republic credits lol. I can see this being phased in over several more countries soon.. we really need stick with the pound in the Uk.

Destroy the sith overlords!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join