It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wood on mars?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by danielknight

prove it.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

And why are the rover images in black and white? I mean come on NASA, don't make it so obvious that you are hiding things.

Actually there are some color photos. Rovers use filters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/849fb2dc9137.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cee352a28b55.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cec938833bc1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e305c2c2f6d.jpg[/atsimg]
From areo.info...

Maybe later I will be throwing filtered b/w pictures through my program I've created to create better results.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Thanks for that, really appreciate it...
Where abouts do you get the coloured photos??

Thanks for the post (y)

Whats your take on life on mars??

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

You can find them at areo.info...

I think there was life on Mars. Actually there are probably some kind of life on Mars right now.

BTW, PanCam uses different kind of filters, 5 of them are within visible range. My program can combine these filtered photos and produce color photos. I might do that later... I'm too lazy

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Clearly rocks and not wood, though interestingly the last photo appears to show a rock with lichen growing on it.

The Martian atmosphere is currently not dense enough to support trees, though it may have been much denser in the distant past.

Edit to add:

Oh yeah, I'm always fascinated to know why people feel NASA is concealing evidence of life? Considering the agency is publicly funded, and good evidence of life would undoubtedly lead to lots more lovely taxpayer dollars to fund more missions, surely NASA would be v likely to play up evidence of life?

[edit on 11-2-2010 by aik4on]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

Consider that mars' atmosphere is only 0.087 psi instead of our 14.7; so about 167 times thinner than ours. And that it's half again as far from the sun as the earth, representing a pretty significant drop in solar intensity because intensity drops off with the cube of the radius. And consider that water vapor is the most important greenhouse gas, not CO2 (just nobody makes a big deal of it, because it's not something we can really change).

Also, while most of the ice on mars is water ice, a lot of it is also carbon dioxide. It's pretty damn cold there. There is probably more CO2 frozen on mars' poles than there is in the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Probably referring to this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/008f529d58d37366.png[/atsimg]

Less creative crayon work and a progressive zoom shows that the "forests" are drainage patterns.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/b39be846bf2e1182.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielknight
reply to post by GW8UK

The universe isn't older than 6500 years, and if you couldn't figure it out, than neither is Earth or Mars or anything else in it: GET OVER IT ALREADY.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by danielknight]

Oh wow. I'm sorry I can't add anything to the op but...I just wanted to laugh at this guy. I rarely get to do so without feeling guilty afterwards.

This kids..is why religion is bad. Common sense goes out the window.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Religion is bad for you like crack is bad for you.

If it was true, then God has left one hell of a mess on Mars.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aik4on

Oh yeah, I'm always fascinated to know why people feel NASA is concealing evidence of life? Considering the agency is publicly funded

You really think NASA is "public"?

Just because people pay for something doesn't mean they know everything about it.

And do you think the government will let the religious leaders and people know that there is life out there? For sure we will have riots in our hands.

, and good evidence of life would undoubtedly lead to lots more lovely taxpayer dollars to fund more missions, surely NASA would be v likely to play up evidence of life?

Control/money VS. knowledge?

I think you have the answer.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielknight
reply to post by GW8UK

The universe isn't older than 6500 years, and if you couldn't figure it out, than neither is Earth or Mars or anything else in it: GET OVER IT ALREADY.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by danielknight]

Actually the Earth is billions of years old, and many things in space are older than that. If the universe was only 6500 years old, we wouldnt see many stars, because we would be looking many light years behind, and we would see before everything started.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01
Well.

There is water on Mars. Just look at the northern pole. Notice it is white? That's called ice. Ice is frozen water.

There are minerals on mars. Nitrogen, Phosphorous, etc. which is what plants need to grow.

Mars' atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide. CO2.

The temperature is a bit cold, but warm enough in some areas.

So we have
1. Sunlight
2. Nutrients
3. Water
4. Temperature

I would put my money on YES, there IS plant life on Mars.

In fact, if you do a search you will even find photos of forests, trees, and other plant life on mars.

Question,

Aren't the polar ice caps on mars made out of CO2 or as all know it as "dry ice"?

[edit on 11-2-2010 by noobsauce13]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

You really think NASA is "public"?

Just because people pay for something doesn't mean they know everything about it.

And do you think the government will let the religious leaders and people know that there is life out there? For sure we will have riots in our hands.

That wasn't my point. All public sector organisations wish to secure funding and the chance of finding life somewhere would therefore benefit NASA. It makes no sense for NASA to hide evidence of life.

To suggest that the discovery of life elsewhere would lead to riots is absurd. Yes, I'm sure an Independence Day-style mother ship appearing in the skies above DC would cause a commotion, but I hardly think NASA finding evidence of past or present life on Mars would lead to civil insurrection.

Control/money VS. knowledge?

I think you have the answer.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just found this. Thought I'd share.

Guess who has a "sweet tooth?" The Opportunity rover on Mars, of course. The robotic geologist is poised and ready to "taste" a rock named "Chocolate Hills."

This rock has a thick, dark-colored coating that is interesting to scientists because many of the rocks in the surrounding area have the same mysterious dark stuff. The coating could be remnants of a layer that was changed by the action of water and weather or, it could be a layer of rock that melted when a meteor (less than a foot across) impacted Mars, ejecting this rock and others and creating the crater "Concepcion". Knowing its origins will help them understand the history of Mars. Opportunity's mission is to figure out the "ingredients" of this morsel by studying the chemicals in it.

marsrover.nasa.gov...

Chocolate on Mars? mmmmmmmm!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join