It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wood on mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Recently I heard that mars may have been habitable 10000 years ago. So... i thought there would be alot of remnants photographed from a rover.

Ive been looking through some rover images and alot of what i think could be rocks look like they could be beams of dead/petrified wood.
Heres a better example: marsrovers.nasa.gov...
Compare: www.carto.net...

Debunking this should be v.easy

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well.

There is water on Mars. Just look at the northern pole. Notice it is white? That's called ice. Ice is frozen water.

There are minerals on mars. Nitrogen, Phosphorous, etc. which is what plants need to grow.

Mars' atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide. CO2.

The temperature is a bit cold, but warm enough in some areas.

So we have
1. Sunlight
2. Nutrients
3. Water
4. Temperature

I would put my money on YES, there IS plant life on Mars.

In fact, if you do a search you will even find photos of forests, trees, and other plant life on mars.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
And why are the rover images in black and white? I mean come on NASA, don't make it so obvious that you are hiding things.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yes, you would think that the technology has advanced so much that we would at least be able to send an HD camera into space to take photos of the moon, mars.....

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
[edit on 11-2-2010 by psy_smurf]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

The universe isn't older than 6500 years, and if you couldn't figure it out, than neither is Earth or Mars or anything else in it: GET OVER IT ALREADY.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by danielknight]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yeah and dinosaurs were put there by God to test our faith in Him.

Oh for He is all wise and all knowing and I am but a lamb.

Far be it for me to question the wisdom of He whom hath all the knowledge.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielknight
The universe isn't older than 6500 years[edit on 11-2-2010 by danielknight]

Yes... Yes it is.
I know what you mean though which is strange.
What documentary went into the ancient history and the significance of 6500 years? if i can remember correctly it is the cyclical nature of birth and rebirth on this planet??

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by psy_smurf

Yes this annoys me no end!!!
Especially the moon photos, they should have mapped the moon better than they've mapped earth, its tiny.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01

Mars' atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide. CO2.

Ours is 0.004% but still our planet is heating up uncontrollably!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by danielknight

Okey-dokey ther little buddy, you keep popping the pills and the nice men in white coats will be there to take you to a nice comfortable and safe room with nice, safe padding on the walls...

Lord save me from religion...

^^ This is IRONY^^

Anyone got a source on those images previously mentioned with the forests on Mars? Sounds interesting

[edit on 11-2-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Simply google, Mars and Trees.
You should come across them, TBH they do look convincing, especially because nasa wont offer any good quality images!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
No trees. Nice picture, but no trees
apod.nasa.gov...

They might look like trees on Mars, but they're not. Groups of dark brown streaks have been photographed by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on melting pinkish sand dunes covered with light frost. The above image was taken in 2008 April near the North Pole of Mars. At that time, dark sand on the interior of Martian sand dunes became more and more visible as the spring Sun melted the lighter carbon dioxide ice. When occurring near the top of a dune, dark sand may cascade down the dune leaving dark surface streaks -- streaks that might appear at first to be trees standing in front of the lighter regions, but cast no shadows. Objects about 25 centimeters across are resolved on this image spanning about one kilometer. Close ups of some parts of this image show billowing plumes indicating that the sand slides were occurring even when the image was being taken.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
At first glance the object in the op link did strike me as possibly being wooden, but then I looked again and it looks a lot like sandstone too, with that layering effect, also, I thought that perhaps the crack looks very much like a crack you would get if you split sandstone through the grain rather than along it.

Although, as already said, the lack of colour makes it hard to tell.
I`m 50/50 on this one.

Flag though, as this needs debunked or upheld b someone with more knowledge than I.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
To me it does look like wood. But, it could still very easily be homogeneous metamorphic rock derived from shale or other rocks that have become compressed over time and have formed layers. I think layers like that are cause by , as well as many things, water. And, lots of it. So maybe Mars had a lot more water in the past, as everyone is speculating anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
These ones cast shadows:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01
These ones cast shadows:

I think those are explained as frozen geysers or something like that.

Here are a few more pics to throw in the mix:

And something that looks very much like a plank of wood:

I'm pretty sure all of these have been discussed on ats

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Why shoudn't there be trees on mars??
Just because its dead?

It would be upsetting if there hasn't been life on mars

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I'm not really debunking here (though I don't find the OP's pic very convincing)
But I think people need to think twice before calling something on Mars "trees" or "people". There's a lot of BS going around, like that Basiago guy.

I personally believe it's very possible that there is some sort of life on Mars even today. There's a lot of very provocative visual evidence as well as good indications that NASA is trying to obfuscate things.

But people also need to realize that Mars is a place with some very strange and exotic looking geology that can really play tricks on the eyes.

I guess all I'm saying is that people need to be sceptical & wait before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have said before that i believe that some of the images seen from Mars are optical illusions, but i always maintained that i believe there is life on Mars, or the defiantly has been. Its a shame that they always seem to conduct their experiments in large areas of open desert when i would think there are much more interesting places to study, I once read an article that if aliens landed in the sahara desert they could be forgiven for thinking that the earth is a lifeless planet, meaning there is so much more to see, even on Mars, some say the images of the trees are some kind of crystals, but who is to say the trees on Mars would look the same or even grow the same as they do on earth.

Thanks for sharing this, i do think it object looks like dried up wood S&F for this one. :0)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join