It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Wilson, Al Qaeda's best friend, is dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Charlie Wilson is dead:

www.cnn.com...

and so passes on best friend of mujahedeen, who helped cement and organize the radical islamists in Afghanistan and Pakistan, exact same people who are killing Americans on pretty much daily basis nowadays.

I hope he rots in hell. Bye bye, bastard.

About the eponymous movie:

Some people criticized the film because it didn't do much to highlight what happened in Afghanistan after the Soviets left: the Taliban's takeover of the country and al Qaeda's use of the nation as a base. Wilson was asked in 2008 about the consequences of arming the mujahedeen fighters

[edit on 10-2-2010 by buddhasystem]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hmm---you have kennedy and Murtha and now Wilson. Maybe God does listen.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
and here I would have thought Reagen was Al Queda's best friend if we are using that as an example...and the CIA of course, which all points to conservatives of the 80s in general thinking it was a swell idea to give the lunatic fringe the training and guns to help fight the USSR.

but oh well, simple partisan nonsense is soo much easier..yes, that guy there created t3h al-kadah and is t3h d3m0n d00d.

swear to god, the people around here are getting dumber and more brainwashed by the second the knuckl....*walks away muttering and shaking head*

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Oh please... Hitler needed his henchmen and so did Reagan... Any picture of the events will be a simplification... Don't pretend you know something that nobody else does.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You hit the nail right on the head "thank you". All I have to say is the other poster had better go back to the drawing board.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
You mean the same Americans that kill their children and their wives, sisters and mothers on a daily basis?

I would argue that America's occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq has been the single largest factor that has helped cement and organise the radical Islamists.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Context, context, context.

Russians invaded Afghanistan to try to spread Communism. Thanks to Ronald Reagan, and to a much lesser extent, Wilson, we destroyed them.

Future events lead to the rise of Taliban and Al Queda.

What if in 30 years Haiti becomes the most terroristic country in the world? I wonder if someone as uninformed as this current OP will blame Earthquake relief from the United States?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Horza

I disagree if this is true than why do they kill each other over slight differences in their own religion?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I don't think that Islam see their differences as "slight" ... they obviously take it very seriously ... and we are in no position to judge them on interpretation.

And it certainly doesn't give us the right to invade their countries and kill their people.

It is our actions that are fuelling the fire of extremism.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Let's see....

The Invaders and "Bad Guys"

Democratic Republic of Afghanistan
Soviet Union

VS

The Afghanistan "People-Mujaheddin" Al Queda wasn't even around yet.
Supported by..

United States
People's Republic of China
Saudi Arabia
United Kingdom
Pakistan
Egypt

But Charlie Wilson gets all the credit.

Source

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Context ? OK. Let's add some context then.

Interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski

Question: The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs ["From the Shadows"], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention. In this period you were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?

Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.

Q: Despite this risk, you were an advocate of this covert action. But perhaps you yourself desired this Soviet entry into war and looked to provoke it?

B: It isn't quite that. We didn't push the Russians to intervene, but we knowingly increased the probability that they would.

Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn't believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don't regret anything today?

B: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter. We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

new topics

top topics

join