It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools War On Religion?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theflamingswan92

Really? Where is the evidence for creationism? A book says so. Nice one. That book has been misinterpreted many times over and in fact says itself that it is not to be taken literally.

I will not and cannot give equal weight to a series of dodgily translated stories when taken next to a rigorously developed theory.

There is NO place for creationism in schools.

Keep it in church please.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

You're missing a fundamental point: School is teaching a version and the Church (of choice) teaches the other... There is no "box" that you speak of.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

The way i was taught it was the best. We got a flyer to take home and in it said something like we are going to teach evolution and creationalisim in the science class. The parents had to sign it and check weather they wanted their child to sit in on the class or taken out of the class for the science segment.

Exactly, it was up to you and your parents. You had a choice, you were able to pick your own beliefs

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I, personally, can not prove that I was once a monkey because I never was. I was born a human, you see. However, that may be an interesting question to pose to one who believes in reincarnation. My distant ancestors were though and I ask you to do your own research and then tell me that it is flawed. There may be some uncertainty's but on the whole it makes sense.

Nothing to do with perception either...don't understand you there, sorry.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cado angelus

All I am trying to say, the message I am meticiously trying to get through, is that it should be up to the student what he wants to learn. If he is required to sit through evolution, they should be required to briefly go over Genesis.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Its because the bibles explination of reality is moronic.

Children should not be taught stupid useless LIES...... Well only if its an example of what NOT to be when you grow up. Pat robertson is a perfect example of the STUPIDITY religion creates.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Wertdagf]

Nikola Tesla was religious. And so were (and are) thousands and thousands of scientists. Most of the scientists see what is obvious, that the laws of Universe are not a coincidence. Yet, at our schools, they teach children that we are merely a product of a coincidence, and otherwise nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
if it is up to the student what they should want to learn then why should evolution have to be coupled with genesis? Why not couple it with the ancient astronaut theory.

You are doing what many religious people do and making a point while contradicting yourself.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Okay, if they teach one thing, when they know there is another possible theroy to it all, it creates a box. they want you to believe one and not the other. It is selective teaching, and it conveys the message:"what we tell you is right, your personal beliefs are wrong"

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cado angelus

I am trying to say, that if they force evolution on you, which they do. They should either tell you both possible theroys, instead of just one. Then allow you to choose which one you believe. I am saying, teach both sides, or none at all.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflamingswan92

All I am trying to say, the message I am meticiously trying to get through, is that it should be up to the student what he wants to learn. If he is required to sit through evolution, they should be required to briefly go over Genesis.

But why Genesis? If you are to be "fair" as you state, than EVERY religious doctrine must be taught alongside Science... otherwise, it's not evenly sided. Does this actually make sense to you? Or is it that it only makes sense if it is Christianity? Be aware that you are arguing within the very "box" that you say you are trying to avoid...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I disagree with any religious discussion in school, for any reason.

Until we dismiss the failed Public Education model run by the State, we can not (and should not) have any funding for religious institutions or religious schools nor can we have any religious discussions in school.

I'm right with you, except that even if education were to get revamped, it's still counter to the 1st Amendment to teach religion.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yes, I realize that, hoghead already conveyed that to me and I agreed. Thats when I started discussing abolishing evolustion all together... but everyone was still asking me about what I was saying earlier so I had to backtrack and answer. Basically what I say still stands LadySkadi... Teach it all, or nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Basically what I say still stands LadySkadi... Teach it all, or nothing.

Lol. Alright. All or nothing, huh?

How many religions are there and each with a version of Origin?

The suggestion that it's "all or nothing" is not realistic. Not going to happen.

ETA:
Guess this conversation is over... as far as I'm concerned, that is.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

My point exactly, it will never happen hence the title... Schools war on Religion.

Nice talking with you

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Religion has no place in any public school.

Leave the brainwashing and indoctrination to the abusive parents at home.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Of course Athiests would be fine with religion in school if they were teaching history and "how bad the evil christians were with the crusades and the inquisition", that is fine but something small like ID is unnacceptable

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Well thats kind of what I said. Its up to the parents and their children to choose their beliefs.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

How about waiting until said child is an adult and letting them choose whether they want to believe in a giant mythical invisible guy in the sky?

Religion has zero place in school unless they are studying damage caused by religion.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

You know how these schools work, they want to label you with a piece of laminated paper
its ludacris.. No one is actually known.

Yes I suppose athiests would do just fine in school

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Nonetheless it should still be up to the child. And even if they wait untill they are an adult, it would still mean that evolution would have to be introduced to them in college and not high school

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join