learn more

Schools War On Religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

I agree organized religion has this effect on some people. However it should still be the students choice. it should be a teaching of both, or nothing at all. because while you are teaching evalution which has enough backbone and evidence to be proven true.... You are at the same time disproving God to the students that believe... Therefore showing them what I learn here is right, anything else is wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You are at the same time disproving God to the students that believe
reply to post by theflamingswan92

Not trying to be picky, but why assume that belief in evolution disproves God? Redefines God, I can see, but disproves.....I think there is some wiggle room there.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Well you got me there, what I truely meant to say was, it disproves the whole Adam and Eve theroy. God made Adam and made Eve with one of Adams ribs.. It really disproves a major part of Genesis.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

However it should still be the students choice.

And what of the students that do NOT want to hear that crap in the classroom..?

Do we put a line down the middle of the class and separate the believers from the non-believers..? Ain't goona happen man - abolish the tea-talk all together.

I can only imagine lunch time if they did...that would be some violent dodge ball.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Religion is counter-productive, breeds hate, causes division and is in reality just a collection of older myths all made into one story of absolute madness. Such garbage has no business in public schools, PERIOD.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now why would you want to teach religion in public schools? Is anybody really that hell-bent on dumbing down our country even more than it already is? I'm not anti-religion, but school is a place where you go to learn facts and science.

pplrnuts, I love your signature.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by TokiTheGreat]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

True, it would seperate but again that brings me back to the whole outside of the box thing. Everyone is different but they want people to have the same beliefs as others. So they basically create the box.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by theflamingswan92]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheGreat

I am saying they should teach both or nothing at all, I just think its only fair to the students, especially since the majority believe in a higher power.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Separation of Church and State was created for a reason.

Someone wants their child to be taught Religion (of choice) than send that child to a Religious school (of choice) it's an alternative available to everyone.

*shrugs*

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Separation of Church and State was created for a reason.

Someone wants their child to be taught Religion (of choice) than send that child to a Religious school (of choice) it's an alternative available to everyone.

*shrugs*

Thank you, it should be up to the familys and the children

[edit on 9-2-2010 by theflamingswan92]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflamingswan92

I am saying they should teach both or nothing at all, I just think its only fair to the students, especially since the majority believe in a higher power.

How do you know that the majority believe in a higher power?

Or is this just your perspective?

[edit on 9-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

If you look at the ammount of people in a science class that sit through evolution, and the number who walk out on that lecture, it's evident that the majority don't buy the monkey to man theroy.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Kids walking out of science class? Got anything to back this up?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Again, do you have anything to back that up or is your PERSPECTIVE being presented as fact?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Just my experiences my friend. I'm not saying this always happens.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Forgive me, I should have clarified. It is my perspective based on personal experience.

In high school I had 3 science classes. Bio, chem, and Integrated sciences 3. in both bio and integrated 3, they did an evolution theroy, which most people, me being one of them, walked out on.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. So I'm curious, if you think that schools should be teaching BOTH evolution and creation, than why did you walk out?

ETA:
Sorry for all the edits, I'm having a serious caffeine withdrawal moment.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Both sides fail. Either way they are teaching students what they are told, not to think for themselves. Science drives technology and many subjects, but religion draws philosophy. You don't have to teach creationism or the ten commandments, but teach them the philosophical stance of sides.

The bible might not explain the facts of how the world was created but are the teachings that crap? Maybe that is what is wrong with society today. You are not taught to help other people out, it is all about yourself. You want the money so you can buy things which benefit yourself.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Your welcome, I had meant it to be evident. I guess I didnt word it correctly

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Well I didnt want to be put in the box. I felt, at the time, that I was listening to eeronious statements. I felt I should walk out to prove a point, luckily I wasn't alone though..

By the way, no worries, I've had those caffine withdrawls too

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join