It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American to charge $8 for blankets, pillows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

DALLAS - If you want a pillow and blanket in coach on American Airlines, it's going to cost you.

The airline will charge $8 for a pillow and blanket in coach class for domestic trips and some international flights longer than two hours, beginning May 1. The international flights are to and from Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean and Central America.

Huguely said blankets will remain complimentary in premium-class cabins and in all cabins for other international flights.
JetBlue and US Airways charge $7 for a blanket-and-pillow set, with US Airways adding eye shades and earplugs.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

That's ridiculous, but it's guess it's not much of a big deal as it's only for short flights where these items might not be widely used much.

I guess when I thought it was ridiculous it was when I envissioned it being 8bucks for long international flights.

I just hope the won't do this for international flights in the future though, I mean doing this would be the first logical step.

Oh well.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm really getting sick of AA.
I would switch airlines in a hurry if it wasn't for the fact that a) they are based locally and B) I have racked up thousands of frequent flyer miles with them and c) my significant other schedules our vacations.

They charge more and more and offer less and less yet at the first sign of financial trouble they immediately ask for a bailout.

Something not quite right about that.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They're going to squeeze every penny until Lincoln takes a poop.

Take a jacket and a hoodie with you on the flight and you won't need to rent that crappy blanket and tiny pillow from them.

$8.00 bucks.

[edit on 9/2/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
You know what, I am actually fine with that. You can buy your own blanket and pillow.

Airline pillows and blankets are some of the germist, filthiest items you can find, and have been known to also contain..um. sperm.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Even if we decide to purchase a blankey and a pillow, how do we know we're getting brand spankin' new items, and not some international science project?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I just spent a lot of time on hold, but I did get to speak to a customer service representative at American Airlines. She had to refer to someone else in another department to answer my questions, but here are the results.

The charge of $8.00 comes into effect on May 1, 2010 and only on certain flights. Depending on flight duration, place of departure and destination.

The new policy is that you purchase a NEW blanket and inflatable pillow in a sealed plastic bag. They have never been re-used by the airline, and once purchased they are your property. You can take them with you when you leave the aircraft, or they discard them when the plane is cleaned.

So no, they don't just fold sperm covered blankets into the overhead bins and pass them out to the next unlucky passenger in coach.

Now you can all go back to worrying about fecal matter on the seat cushions.
One wet fart and those stay contaminated for days.

Enjoy your flight.

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 11/2/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

You know, it still doesn't bother me. What is 8$ for a blanket and pillow? Flying is so cheap.

IN fact, because of the deal sites all over now, it is really hurting the airlines, because to keep their name visible they have to keep lowering tickets.

But I am old school I guess, I still consider flying a privelage.

And I don't care about an extra 8 bucks because an airline is only charging me 230 bucks to go cross country in a big expensive metal tube in only 5 hours.

Having driven across the US several times now, it is a deal.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I just wanted to offer one last bit of information that I thought valid for the thread.

For men:

There is the hazmat suit available.
I think it has some fire retardation in case of fire.
There is the added bonus of showing off the family jewels.

Walk without fear because they know you carry a big stick.

(Full face mask with oxy tanks or gas mask sold separately.)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdf2c7cac7ba.jpg[/atsimg]

For the ladies:

Pink booties and a full face mask to protect the make-up.
A deal for any woman that needs to arrive alive and looking fresh.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06d6aaaccc76.jpg[/atsimg]

If money is no object, order directly from NASA:

A fully pressurized suit with eight, yes count them, 8 hours of breathable air for use by the occupant.
It comes complete with a fully mobile jet pack usable beyond the confines of Earth's atmosphere. Plus a waste disposal system involving a diaper and a urine tube/cup depending on your personal anatomy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/399208d6eefe.jpg[/atsimg]

Air travel can be a hassle, but relax in style with any one of these fashionable and functional travel accessories.

Enjoy your flight.

EDIT: Don't blame me if you get requested for an additional search before boarding though. These garments tend to make airline personnel and passengers a little cautious, if not nervous.

Stand your ground though.
All suits shown negate the need for a pillow and blanket.......

[edit on 11/2/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Methinks your making fun of me.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Never.:shk:

I'll make fun of a situation, a policy, or even a position. But I never make fun of a person.

Oh Hell, who am I kidding. I make lite of almost anything.
Never intending to offend, but I find the world a funny place.

new topics

top topics

join