It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban

www.wxii12.com

Residents in King were fumed over the weekend after a state of emergency declaration restricted the sale of alcohol and firearms.

King Police Chief Paula May said she’s received hundreds of threats related to the restrictions, which banned driving from 12 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m.

Under North Carolina law, May said, when a state of emergency is put into place that includes a ban on driving, the sale of alcohol and carrying of firearms in vehicles is also banned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Why are these types of things legal?? More and more politicians demonstrate that the constitution is only in effect as much as to appease the population, although the efforts to even do that are continuously eroded.

Sounds like North Carolina is pretty facist.

And the reason for the so-called state of emergency is quite vague.

www.wxii12.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
More than likely it has to do with Super Bowl weekend which has statistically shown to be one of the more violent weekends than any other during the year. Probably the one weekend with more intoxicated drivers as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

What does the Super Bowl between Indy and Saints have to do with King, N.C? And what was the purpose of said 5 hour state of emergency?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by sos37

What does the Super Bowl between Indy and Saints have to do with King, N.C? And what was the purpose of said 5 hour state of emergency?

And the firearms ban reminds me of the new orleans police illegally seizing lawfully owned and registered firearms during katrina. The NRA had to sue to overturn that example of a police state.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Do you need me to spell it out for you?

The nation watches the Super Bowl, not just people in the two home towns competing. And Super Bowl Sunday is one of the most active in terms of DWI related arrests and parties.

www.totaldui.com...

To me it sounds like some official in NC somewhere panicked and pulled the switch on this "state of emergency". Maybe the Super Bowl combined with the bad weather was to blame, but to me it's highly suspicious that it happened the same night following the big game.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It says in the article that it was enacted because of weather.

How many times is that the case in this country. States of Emergency are usually only brought out during bad weather events.

Maybe they over stepped...but it doesn't seem like it was to squash rights, more to fix a problem before hand.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
It says in the article that it was enacted because of weather.

How many times is that the case in this country. States of Emergency are usually only brought out during bad weather events.

Maybe they over stepped...but it doesn't seem like it was to squash rights, more to fix a problem before hand.

So far, no one has been able to explain how a weather event justifies banning the sale of firearms and ammunition. What if it was bad enough that you had to go out and hunt for food?

So, rights were taken away on the whim of a local government. What's the next "reason" for doing so?

[edit on 2/8/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Let me spell it out for you, It was a ploy to see how people would react to it. Dude think the game comes on at 6pm on Sunday if I am correct 12am-5am sunday morning are after 6pm....

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The statute that automatically goes into effect during a State of Emergency...

GS 14-288.7

ETA:
Agreed. Doubt this had to do with the Super Bowl. Another article stated it had to do with snow emergency.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Let me spell it out for you, It was a ploy to see how people would react to it. Dude think the game comes on at 6pm on Sunday if I am correct 12am-5am sunday morning are after 6pm....

It would be before pm. Sunday morning comes before Sunday pm.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'd like to know what a bannng these things is supposed to accomplish. Take the absurd excuse of the Super Bowl for instance. Say I'm the type of guy to drive around crazy loaded and fire guns in the air at parties. Both things illegal. Not to mention entirely unwise to do even if made "legal". Christ, who the hell would figure "oh gee it's legal to drive around wasted and fire my guns in the air so I'll go ahead and do it now because I couldn't do it when it was illegal." Seriously, you morons out there who understand legality and law enforcement to work as replacements for decent behavior and common sense need to take another look. Anyway I'm getting off track here. I know they're illegal. I just don't care because I'm awesome. Uh-oh it's a state of emergency. Now these things are super-illegal. Do I care? Hell no.

It's so absurd this was done. There is absolutely no reason for it other than to see how the people react.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i dont agree with threads or physical violence against politicians

but in this case, since there were threats, actions following them would have been better then not

now the government just looks at us like fools, just like iran, they believe all of our threats are empty

and now that they got away with this one, it will give them confidence to do it in the future

if there were so many threats, they should have at least staged a massive protest

they still should and take those responsible out of power

if nothing is done by the public to right the wrong, things dont look good for the future, i dont know about the area of king, but id love to see them try to pull something like that around here, id stay in the house, but i know a large city full of people who wouldnt

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I think somebody put the small town officials up to it.
They are motivated to bring attention to the issue in order to change GS 14-288.7 so it can't happen again.
It is not something the small town did to ban guns. They just triggered the statewide rule.

I think some states have already changed similar gun banning laws in their own states.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Sounds like a nice litmus test to see public reaction. Start in a small town. Observe reactions and containment. Document it as a control group. Move on to bigger areas.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Anybody see/hear about the major snowstorm that hit the mid-Atlantic states this weekend? Over 30 inches in DC alone.

Driving in those conditions hinders snow removal and emergency vehicles. That is the reason for the no-driving curfew.

Believe me, it was no 'litmus test' with any 'control group'. I can just see those big-bellied southern sheriffs laughing their heads off at that one.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by mishigas]

top topics

join