It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Collaboration: Protect Internet Free Speech Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I’d like to propose an international collaboration and extend an invitation to all ATS members. ATS is the foremost conspiracy theory community online. In my opinion, the existing online endeavors geared toward protection of free speech online are factional and thusly fall short of the requisite momentum for achieving what is necessary.

Make no mistake, the suppression of free speech on the internet by way of imposed legal penalties or licensing will retard the greatest singular asset we have in admonishing the corruptions of our various political leaders and corporations.

Step 1: Assembly and delegation

Initially let’s establish whose on board and identify the extent of each participants contribution to allow us to define realistic expectations in terms of workflow and the general turnaround time of tasks pertinent to the trajectory of the proposed collaboration. Thereafter we can specify delegated tasks based on each members interests, skill set and geographical location.

Step 2: Resource compilation

I motion that an archiving of existing legislation, acts, court cases, oppositions and implementations is quintessential to the success of the collaboration. In layman’s terms, we need an intelligence repertoire. Many hands make light work.

Step 3: Cohesion by way of affiliation

Networking with existing proponents of internet free speech including but not limited to online communities, web standards/design/programming communities and political figures.

Step 4: Institute a nexus

A nexus will need to be created to facilitate operational organization and correspondence of the said collaboration. Should ATS not have the resources or an interest in developing a new facet of their site to facilitate such a nexus then I’ll volunteer my own time to develop (design and program) such a facility as a site in it's own right.

Step 5: Definitive action

All tangible actions including but not limited awareness initiatives, political organization and civilized protests will be defined subsequent to the institution of the nexus as defined in Step 4. The merit of such actions will be amplified by international cohesion.

Let’s get the ball rolling. If you’re interested say “Aye!”. Suggestions are welcome. Alternatively you can inactively discuss this to death. I’d rather act.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
My only suggestion for free speech online is: we need message boards where each member is MOD of their own thread started. Think of what free speech we'd have with that bit of power in our hands. No one to shut down our threads started, and we can regulate anyone that posts in our threads ourselves. It all equals out the field with every member their own MODERATOR with no other MOD over them. That equals more free speech in the thread starter division.

The day I see message boards like that is the day things look hopeful for the whole internet.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

The restriction of free speech that you're describing is imposed by the owners/creators of an individual forum. The proposed collaboration is geared towards restrictions imposed by the government and not the site owner(s) as you've described.

You'll be glad to hear that the type of self moderating forum that you're looking for already exists as a free software. I recommend SMF since it doesn't require any coding and takes about 15 mins to set up. All you'd need to do is assign a board to each member and restrict moderation permissions to them respectively.

There's nothing stopping you from creating such a forum except of course for your government if they have their way. This nicely brings us back to my original proposal. Should you not be more concerned about the restrictions imposed by government than those imposed by site owners and mod staff especially if it eludes to the end of the internet as you know it?

[edit on 3-2-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hi lads,

I'm bumping this in case anyone has any further thoughts or views.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
So let me get this straight. You are proposing an alternative to ATS that, essentially, has no limits or bounds with respect to free speech? Why ? We already that option, now, today, right here. Supposing for a minute that you do get this initiative off the ground, how can you possibly, ever, assume complete integrity of its contributors and their content?

Anonymity is a given if you have the knowledge and mindset so why not leverage that and continue to contribute to ATS or even Wikileaks (once its money problems are sorted).

brill

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
So let me get this straight...

You're addressing Tormentations and not myself, right?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well? Any ATS members want to collaborate on an international endeavor to combat repressions of free speech on the net?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Aye!

I live in Canada. I like this idea especially considering all that ( I feel ) the gov't is doing to repress FoS.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

Originally posted by brill
So let me get this straight...

You're addressing Tormentations and not myself, right?

No your comments.

brill

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

Then re-read the posts in this thread. You're confusing tormentations post with mine. I suggested no such thing. I have no idea how you made your deduction.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
rexusdiablos, i like the idea you have. Its good that you are trying to take action to stand up against the current attack on the internet by many governments/regimes around the world.

Its a shame some people have derailed this a bit by getting things confused.

A problem you have is that there already exists a number of groups and orgs that are working on steps as you have defined.

In the US there is the EFF 1. “Electronic Frontier Foundation | Defending Freedom in the Digital World,” www.eff.org...

In the UK you have the ORG 1. “Open Rights Group | Home,” www.openrightsgroup.org...

There are also groups like the ONI. 1. “ONI Home Page | OpenNet Initiative,” opennet.net...

Its probably best people contribute to these, as they are already established and taking actions.

Or are you suggesting a ATS members only version of one of these kind of groups?

new topics

top topics

join