It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REPLY TO:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There's certainly many ways to go about this so who needs tabs? I never use them for that. I tried it.

1)
Hit "quote", copy the content of the post to which you're replying elsewhere, like Notepad or Word.
Go back, hit "Reply"; compose the message in the ATS form.

2)
Open the post in a new window by right-clicking "This Post" or "Single" (does AOL allow forcing a new window?).
Left-click "Reply"; compose the message in the ATS form.

3)
Compose the response in an external editor, leaving the message visible in the browser on the screen.
Hit "Reply"; paste the reponse underneath "more".

4) Like 1: but compose the response in the editor with the quoted text.
Copy only your response from the editor. Hit "Reply", paste like 3:.

I'll just stop with four.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe there should be a "practice page" where people can go to figure out how to post links, reply to threads, post videos and so on. Some people might be holding back because they don't want to screw up a post and have to have the mods remove it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
OP, I am often annoyed by this feature too. Sometimes you don't want to quote the person so you don't use the quote function..but you forget like you said.

I guess what we have been told here is deal with it ha. I think that's the best advice though...unless we get an uproar of people annoyed with it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by GAOTU789

Im using AOL 9.1 (new).

Truthfully, I like the AOL browser, its quicker than the IE on my system..the IE on this system takes FOREVER to load(thats why I dont use it).

I decided to check my mother in laws machine and she has 9.5
AOL 9.5

I noticed on that page

With AOL 9.5, tabs on the browser let you keep several sites open without cluttering your screen. Your favorite Web sites and AOL® Search enhanced by Google™ are a click away, and you are automatically protected from known phishing sites when you browse the Web using the AOL software.

Might want to give that a shot for the tabs, I understand about not wanting to let go of them. I myself have not used AOL since 97/98 but my mother in law still does.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I'm not sure about your AOL browser, but try holding "shift" or "ctrl" when you hit the reply button.

If right clicking doesn't work, maybe it will open a new window or tab by doing that instead.

In Firefox, holding "ctrl" opens new tab and holding "shift" opens new window.

Worth a try, good luck.

[edit on 2/2/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Thanks A LOT guys

And superman, thanks, im glad I am not the only one!

I will give AOL 9.5 a shot.

If that doesnt work, Oh well, I will just deal with it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

The problem with just simply using the quote button, is that you only get the quote box and a person that you're replying to might miss that you're replying to them, because it gets put into a box, with what you're quoting from them, that looks like this:

Originally quoted by UserX
And when you want to actually reply to something that someone is saying they may miss your reply because this isn't as obvious as the big blue "I'm replying to YOU!!!" letters, like at the top of this post

Sometimes, you don't want to quote someone either, you simply want to reply to them.

What the OP is hitting at, I believe, is a way to, here on the post page, toggle being able to see the persons post that you're replying to, in case the post is a long one and you forget what the points are that you're replying to!

@OP—Something that you could do, which is what I do most of the time, is just copy the whole persons post and then paste it into the box where you type your post. Do thing will allow you to easily quote if you want and, most importantly, you'll usually be able to post the whole post in and thus not forget what you're replying to.

ETA: If your mouse has one of those scroll wheels in the middle, you should be able to push that like a button. If you use that to click on the reply to button, you'll open up either a new tab or window.

[edit on 2/2/2010 by octotom]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
More often than not, I copy everything that I am replying to and then hit the reply to button. Then I paste, saves me that back step. Especially when the post is really long and detailed and I want to address everything the author wrote.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I just upgraded to AOL 9.5.
I must say..I LIKE..Tabbed Browsing fixed my problem.

Thanks for everything everyone!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Problem has been fixed!

Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join