It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REPLY TO:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Reply To:

I was just wondering(and I dont know if this subject hasbeen brought up or not)
if there was anything the ATS staff can do about the REPLY TO function.

Everytime I REPLY to someone, sometimes I dont remember everything they said, and have to save my work by hitting 'copyNpaste', going BACK to the original to read the material, THEN have to go back to continue on with my answer.
Why doesnt ATS put the ORINGINAL COMMENT underneath the text table like they do with the normal "post reply or quote" section? When you reply to a thread, all of the Comments are located underneath, same with the quotes. Just not on the REPLY TO.

Edit-

I hope I am explaining this right and that I didnt lose anyone.

Is there anything ATS can do about this by putting the comment we are replying to on the same page as the responding text table, that way we don have to keep going back and forth?

-Thank you.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Reply To:

I was just wondering(and I dont know if this subject hasbeen brought up or not)
if there was anything the ATS staff can do about the REPLY TO function.

Everytime I REPLY to someone, sometimes I dont remember everything they said, and have to save my work by hitting 'copyNpaste', going BACK to the original to read the material, THEN have to go back to continue on with my answer.
Why doesnt ATS put the ORINGINAL COMMENT underneath the text table like they do with the normal "post reply or quote" section? When you reply to a thread, all of the Comments are located underneath, same with the quotes. Just not on the REPLY TO.

Edit-

I hope I am explaining this right and that I didnt lose anyone.

Is there anything ATS can do about this by putting the comment we are replying to on the same page as the responding text table, that way we don have to keep going back and forth?

-Thank you.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Common Good]

If you hit quote It will quote the post you want to reply to

Or am I misunderstanding?

[edit on February 2nd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Ok...I DID NOT explain it right.
NORMALLY...when a thread gets So LONG...it will say underneath
"Topic too long, click here to review it"

Well, when I am replying to someone, I dont want to see the ENTIRE thread, because I have to save my work(like stated earlier)..I just want to see the PERSON I am replying to.

I was wondering if the REPLY TO feature can work JUST LIKE the QUOTE section.

I know, this is confusing.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Have you ever used multi tabs? That way you can go back and forth between their post and your text box. It will save you from having to copy and paste and backspace back and forth.

Go to the 'reply to' button, right click, then hit 'open link in new tab.' That's what I do and what I'm doing right now to type this. lol

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

lol. No I havent tried that before, but I just did, and it wouldnt let me.
It would let me open in "new window" but thats it.
Im sorry if I am being a pain.

And I appreaciate your responses =)

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Like do this....(if you can)

Go to a thread that has a lot of posts... hit "reply to" to any of the posters.
Your text message box will come up, but there wont be anything underneath it. You have to go back and forth.

anyway to resolve this issue?
Or is it just toomuch work to even worry about?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The easiest thing I find is what Ashley said.

Hit right click on the reply to tab of the post you want to answer. Click open in a new tab and viola, you have both the windows right there for you.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It would let me open in "new window" but thats it.

Well that's no good.

What browser are you using?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

AOLbrowser =(

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You could hit "quote" and just delete out all but the specific section you're replying to after formulating your response? Just a suggestion.

I'd think if both buttons worked the same way, there'd not be a need for both buttons.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Wont let me do that.

I guess my operation here is janky.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

I dont want them to work EXACTLY the same way...I am just saying when a thread gets to a certain point, the text table page wont show the comment.

And sometimes when a response is too long, I will do as you suggested and hit the quote and just erase afterwords, but that gets annoying after a while.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
oh dear - AOL browser....cant you download Opera, Firefox, google chrome and enlighten yourself into the tabbed browsing world...

I live by opera, its a fantastic and quick browser....

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Which version of AOL Explorer are you using?

If it's an older version, it doesn't support tabbed browsing.

Updating your browser or changing to Firefox or IE8 would help with the problem but if you have a newer version of AOL, it should allow you to open new tabs. I am not famailar with it so I'm not sure what it displays but the description page I just read says it does use tabbed browsing, so it is available.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Im using AOL 9.1 (new).

Truthfully, I like the AOL browser, its quicker than the IE on my system..the IE on this system takes FOREVER to load(thats why I dont use it).

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by AshleyD

AOLbrowser =(

i think you've solved your question. Minimize AOL, you can still run firefox. also, it isnt 1997 anymore, haha.

-----

ok Ill stop being mean now, haaha - Have you ever tried running something like firefox while aol's interface is running in the background? I can not express to you how much easier surfing the web is if you can open up more tabs, it makes it alot easier to post threads without having you redirect the page your on.

click file at the top left and you should be able to start a new tab that way, but even the most recent vers. of AOL should have that function.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by drsmooth23]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I don't know then.

I just looked over what is available about the browser and it says that newer versions have tabbed browsing available.

Have a roam around your options and stuff. maybe you have tabbed browsing turned off or another setting may be preventing you from opening new tabs. That's the only other thing I can think of.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

HEY NOW! That wasnt cool. (I guess neither is my AOL). haha

I dont want to get rid of AOL because of this one issue haha.
I have a lot invested into AOL to just give up now.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm all about the Firefox. Try it. Thank us later.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, I appreciate it guys!! Thanks!

I guess Iwill just have to live with it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join