It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict attacks government over Equality Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

The Pope has urged Catholic bishops in England and Wales to fight the UK's Equality Bill with "missionary zeal".

Pope Benedict XVI said the legislation "violates natural law" and could end the right of the Catholic Church to ban gay people from senior positions.

The Pope has confirmed he will come to the UK this year, the first papal visit since John Paul II in 1982.

The government said the bill, which is currently going through Parliament, would make the UK a fairer place.

'Unjust limitations' The Pope told the Catholic bishops of England and Wales gathered in Rome: "Your country is well-known for its firm commitment to equality of opportunity for all members of society.

"Yet, as you have rightly pointed out, the effect of some of the legislation designed to achieve this goal has been to impose unjust limitations on the freedom of religious communities to act in accordance with their beliefs.

Full story here!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well well, legislation to provide equality in Churches.

I wondered when that was going to be started.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The relic of the past that is the pope should keep his bloody nose out of uk affairs. There was a reason we killed catholics i hope he can remember that.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Anyone else having trouble picturing a frail, 82 year-old "attacking" a foreign government because they want to increase their Church membership by including gay people?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Anyone else having trouble picturing a frail, 82 year-old "attacking" a foreign government because they want to increase their Church membership by including gay people?

exactly, It's laughable. Untill he gets his own ship in order, with his kiddy fiddling priests, he should keep his twisted views to himself. we're not even a a Catholic country.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
wow,
a group of people trying to impose their will on how other people choose to worship a god.

I know I've heard of another group in history that had a habit of doing this sort of thing.

hmmmm,oh that's right it was the catholic church.

but at least they aren't burning you at the stake or ripping out your fingernails,yet.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
"Waaah! We want to be able to choose who we hire as kiddy-fiddlers! Everyone knows transgendered people can't abuse half as many kids as straight priests!" - The Pope.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It is getting ridiculous...

Personally I hate religion, however most of my familly are catholic, so I have to restrain myself from putting them in their place when they talk about "Converting" me....

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
As i just posted to the BBC have your say, and please don't misunderstand me, i am not religious in the slightest, but it does say clearly in the bible that "a man who lays with another man as he does with a woman, had done an evil deed and should be put to death" as it says women should remain silent, and disobedient children should be stoned, This sort of belief in my opinion has no place in modern society, especially one that is not a catholic majority, and not bound by any religion to govern it. He should keep his ideas and opinions restricted to the Vatican, where they will be appreciated, religion and politics should never be mixed, Ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

Exactly!

He has no right!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
exactly, It's laughable. Untill he gets his own ship in order, with his kiddy fiddling priests, he should keep his twisted views to himself. we're not even a a Catholic country.

Ditto. I'm fully with this one. Haha, he has no right to inflict his ideas ns onto someone else. There are many Protestants in the UK and I don't think they all share his opinion.

And I don't understand how this 'violates natural law.' Rather odd. Didn't think there were any laws that you had to stick to in nature, eh?

And hey Wolf ^^

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Ironic coming from an old man wearing a dress and a crown

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Screw the popes. They hate freedom, liberty and equality for all. The only ones that these freaks are truly holy to are the morons that follow blindly. I was beginning to like this pope until he started attacking liberty for all people. They only care about the ones that are hard-core Christian and about converting the rest. There is nothing holy about these creeps.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's not NICE According to the Catholic Church when the " Sheeple " start thinking for themselves . God Forbid they might suffer from misinterpitation of the True meaning of the Holy Book contrary to what they have been told by the Holy See...................... Martin Luther and Oliver Cromwell be Damned too ...............

new topics

top topics

join