It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mag 8.6 earthquake in China?--2010-27-01

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
A magnitude 9.3 is 3,000 times more powerful than a magnitude 9.0!

Well I stand corrected, although it only further proves the point!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils

Originally posted by Hellmutt
A magnitude 9.3 is 3,000 times more powerful than a magnitude 9.0!

Well I stand corrected, although it only further proves the point!!!

Somewhat
Hellmutt gave a 9-level scenario
I believe the higher you go the greater the difference

everything under 2.7 or so are not felt

To understand the differences in scales personally I wouldn't use a 9-level quake as an example.

In fact any level, you'd be better using a range

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well can an EQ buff tell me how many times more powerful an 8.6 would be compared to the 7.2 in haiti so my point can be numerically accurate?

I think my point is still obvious however.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
At this page posted before on here, they still mention the Sichuan mag 8.6, depth 15km.
However, if you translate the page to English (top right button) you get this message:

Notification
The NIEP website registered an earthquake detected on 01/27/10 18:51:48 and located in SICHUAN, CHINA with a magnitude of 8.6. The event in fact occurred in SAMAR, PHILIPPINES and had a magnitude of 5.8.

Error was generated by the automated analysis system.

Yesterday Philippines was mentioned next to the Sichuan event, not one instead of the other...

[edit on 28/1/10 by Movhisattva]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well can an EQ buff tell me how many times more powerful an 8.6 would be compared to the 7.2 in haiti so my point can be numerically accurate?

I think my point is still obvious however.

Here's the Wiki article regarding the richter magnitude scale. The difference between 7.0 to 9.0 is thousands of miles worth... You'd definitely know about it...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

that was most certainly within the parameters and spirit of the site!!!

Even though this particular event is debunked, it would seem the activity is increasing. As to what end, I wont speculate til more data or the 100m wave swallows me whole...anyone else planning on attending the "End of the World" BBQ at Yellowstone Aug 2012???
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Mag 8.6 earthquake......

How absurd of this prediction!!!

Yeah, I have seen the film "2012". It is a good film,has wonderful movie effect.

BUT it is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TacticalVeritas
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

that was most certainly within the parameters and spirit of the site!!!

Even though this particular event is debunked, it would seem the activity is increasing. As to what end, I wont speculate til more data or the 100m wave swallows me whole...anyone else planning on attending the "End of the World" BBQ at Yellowstone Aug 2012???
Cheers.

Yeah

What would happen in 2012?

I think It is Olympic Game in London of UK.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redhercules

Mag 8.6 earthquake......

How absurd of this prediction!!!

Yeah, I have seen the film "2012". It is a good film,has wonderful movie effect.

BUT it is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Actually, the strongest earthquake ever recorded was a 9.5 in Chile on May 22nd, 1960. On December 26th, 2004, a 9.3 was recorded on the ocean floor off the west coast of Sumatra which is the second strongest ever recorded. On March 27th, 1964 (Good Friday), a 9.2 hit Prince William Sound in Alaska and produced 11 aftershocks greater than 6.0 in the next 24 hours and produced over 10,000 in all. This was the third biggest.

So, it is far from impossible. Those are just the top 3.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Kratos1220]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The statement that a magnitude of 9.3 is three thousand times stronger
than one of 9.0 is absolutely wrong.
A magnitude of 6.0 is 10 times stronger than one of 5.0.
7.0 is 10 times that of 6.0. Therefore 7.0 is 100 times stronger than 5.0,
and 9.0 1,000 times stronger than 6.0.
9.3 is (1.26 x 1.26 x 1.26) = 2.0 times as strong.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

You have to define better what you mean for "stronger", though.
For each magnitude unit, the shaking (what you feel) grows by a factor of 10, but the energy involved (what it takes to generate the shaking) by a factor of 32, instead.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
One killed, 11 injured in 5.0-magnitude quake in SW China. CHENGDU, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- One person was killed, eleven were injured and more than 100 houses collapsed in an earthquake measuring 5.0 on the Richter Scale in southwest China's Sichuan Province early Sunday.

Just found this while browsing latest news headlines. A 5 is not that big, must have been shallow. But it is in the same area (Sichuan) as the bogus 8.6 a few days ago. Struck me as strange.

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
China Earthquake is in the media now

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Any Chinese Americans you know? You can ask them if they had family in China or at least in that region. Maybe they can tell you if it hit. Ask more than one.

On another note, have you heard about the Chinese-Korean-Russian earthquake around the borders. Some say there's a Nuclear test in North Korea which could of caused the earthquake. 2010_China-Russia-North_Korea_earthquake. It could be true. As for a natural Earthquake, that may explain earthquakes in Asia recently, they probably felt it and had aftershocks.

Her's a list of earthquakes this year known so far.
2010 Earthquakes

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Shanatos Antonioustin]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join