It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All that cool ICBM equipment...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have seen a few shows where the hosts explore/invade abandoned bases, plus a few episides of Boneyard, where they scrap planes, et al.

One guy had some rack mounted control panels from an ICBM.

Words can never express the coolness factor of having your very own ICBM control panel, perhaps in the living room.

Where does one go about purchasing these rare treasures?

And here I thought I was cool because my wife said I could keep a large blue tube tester in the living room.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Military Surplus is a very good place to start. If you can find out exactly where the stuff you want is, just contact the Surplus Board and put in a request for the stuff. Sometimes the stuff isn't on the inventory, so you may be told you have a day to take it out. Seen this happen several times. My uncle got a real nice US Navy issue shortwave radio set for free this way.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by leftystrat
I have seen a few shows where the hosts explore/invade abandoned bases, plus a few episides of Boneyard, where they scrap planes, et al.

please what shows if you dont mind me asking i like watching that sort of stuff
the shows your talking about wont get showen on aussie tv or not that ive seen... thanks

[edit on 27-1-2010 by ST SIR 86]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ST SIR 86

please what shows if you dont mind me asking i like watching that sort of stuff
the shows your talking about wont get showen on aussie tv or not that ive seen... thanks

[edit on 27-1-2010 by ST SIR 86]

The one I remember is called Boneyard. Probably a History channel effort.
I think UFO Hunters also went to an abandoned base.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
www.drms.dla.mil is the official website. Control panels are probably scrapped since they are part of a large system that they wouldn't want to sell.

If you tour the Nike museum in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, the sometimes have the control trailers open. I don't have the photo handy, but you can touch the control panel. I think there are two fire buttons that you need to push simultaneously, but don't quote me on that.

The Nevada Test Site runs auctions, but nothing particularly cool.

The best government stuff is the gear that goes to commercial destruction firms. The private sector, being profit driven, often sells government items that are supposed to be destroyed for cash under the table. One such company I knew of would only smash the Sony broadcast gear. Why? Well, Sony checked up on them, and the feds didn't.

There was a vendor selling cool military stuff at local ham flea markets. It turned out they were stealing from a depot. The FBI busted them.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
www.drms.dla.mil is the official website. Control panels are probably scrapped since they are part of a large system that they wouldn't want to sell.

Great stuff - thanks!

Much research to do.

I'd also love one of those R390 radios... 75+ pounds of tube shortwave glory!

[edit on 1/29/2010 by leftystrat]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I recently went hunting around an abandoned nuclear repair facilty in Kentucky. Nothing left but cool tunnels or magazines storage tunnels where they kept the warheads afetr repairing them. the main building actulally goes underground but is unacessiable at the moment. i have some pictures up on photobucket. I plan to go back during the day and get better pictures of the whole layout but lots of snow will keep home this weekend. View the pictures at the link above.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

I missed the boat on the R390. Prior to the internet age, people would practically give them away. Now they are collectors items.

A friend used to be in the USAF and took the Collins class on R390A maintenance. They used a special soap and literally washed them on the runways. He threw many of the old radios in the trash, under orders.

I was surprised to see the SP600 at the NSA museum. I was sure they would have a R390. Sometimes these museums just put a radio there that could have been used rather than the real thing. For Watergate, the radio used was a real Watkins Johnson, true spook gear.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Nevada Test Site auction

I never found any real deals at their auctions, but it can occasionally be interesting reading.

new topics

top topics

join