It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Reading Software Could Record Your Dreams

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Pictures you are observing can now be recreated with software that uses nothing but scans of your brain. It is the first "mind reading" technology to create such images from scratch, rather than picking them out from a pool of possible images.

Earlier this year Jack Gallant and colleagues at the University of California, Berkeley, showed that they could tell which of a set of images someone was looking at from a brain scan.

To do this, they created software that compared the subject's brain activity while looking at an image with that captured while they were looking at "training" photographs. The program then picked the most likely match from a set of previously unseen pictures.

Now Yukiyasu Kamitani at ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories in Kyoto, Japan has gone a step further: his team has used an image of brain activity taken in a functional MRI scanner to recreate a black-and-white image from scratch.
Link

So we hear about "Mind Control" and Mental Psy-Ops everuy once in awhile. Hear we have viable news source reporting that it is indeed possible to measure the thoughts (at least visually based) of an individual and recreate/digitally interpret them for computer display. Mind Reading, as it were, is now a reality and certainly it is a matter of time and perfection prior to the capacity of remote capability (really...this is where Black Ops spending occurs...).

Fascinating material and such topicl matter I find disappointing in that it isn't communicated in a widespread manner.

An example of an image shown to an individual and the subsequent digital interpretation/imaging...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1660d79f4e72.jpg[/atsimg]

Unbelievable.

The future is hear and it is nothing that popular SciFier's ever thought.

I am now considering what has been experimented upon by way of Dream Manipulation...if they can record it then the next step would be to figure out how to influence it...

[edit on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:23:23 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What a great find, I lived just below the U.C. Berkeley Lab and at night I used to wonder what wonders they were working on, of course SETI is there..

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This software seems to have a similar use to that which is being used/tested for Brain Fingerprinting... Though I believe that is EEG based... still, fascinating!

Example

Starred/Flagged and bookmarked

[edit on 26-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It would have to be...almost by technological definition. The difference with Brain Fingerprinting would be interpretative software...something, in my opinion, that is too illy understood to be directly earmarked for application.

Some people are going to be hurt by the application of this technology...precisely because the chasm of difference in attention is differnet as it relates from those expecting to catch deviants as opposed to those whom are mostly presented with deviant propaganda.

They haven't figured out a way to measure bias yet...and that is what has me disturbed.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Wow talk about Syncronicity, I was just talking about this ten minutes ago to a total stranger who walked into my office, and here is a thread on it.

I love the idea of this type of software, but the abuse of it is what frightens me the most.

We are entering the era of MIND READING reality.

Tweet with the brain:
www.newscientist.com...

Voice necklaces interpates verbal signals from the brain into speech:
www.newscientist.com...

This is it... we are going to be mentally exploited by the Judicial system in the next 10 years like never before... learn to mediatate and control your thoughts has never been more vital then right now.

If they can look in, make sure you control what they can get out. Meditation classes anyone?

[edit on 26-1-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All i can say is awesome!
Can bring a lot of evidence to vast amounts of things in life from crime to alien sightings!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This offers a way to download your memories to a CD!!!
Just like artifical images, they'll probably start out as fuzy black & white images that barely resemble the real image in your mind. Then as time goes by it'll get more and more clear.
Just like the Cinema you have to go to a special building to have your imagination scanned. But 30-50 years from now it might be done by a device as big as a games controller.

Bad news for Architects...
Can you imagine, imagining your own home extension, saving it to computer, scanning it with software to ensure it's structurally sound, submitting to a council "brain" computer for planning permission (to check it complies with polycies) and (hopefully) debated on the forum, before having an answer at the "touch" of a thought!!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'd love to have something like a VCR that could record my dreams and play them back later for the times that I don't remember them too well.

There'd have to be something in place to keep this technology from being used for the wrong reasons though.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Sounds good and bad,

Good if i were to record my own memories and dreams i believe we are getting closer to that point if the us goverment doesn't already have that tech for mind controlling purposes.

Since if a person can record his or hers dreams then everyone would be really happy why i say that? because dreams helps us or hurt us can even tell us what is wrong with us, so therefore dreams are important.

Bad if this tech will be used for warfare, if it isnt already been used by our world leaders and there crazy assumptions.

Oh i cant wait for a Dream DVD of my own dreams ^^ i believe this thing might come out sooner then in 2141, also i believe this might come out sometime in 2016-2019 if 2012 passes fine.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If we are getting close to recording (identifying dreams) and we are getting close to recording (identifying stored memory) of actual and experienced events, than how close are we to having dreams or events implanted falsely?

Food for thought...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I do like the good, but really really dread the bad. The use of technology as a tool to enslave us further is not something that makes me walk my streets feeling good about life.

I just want the good ol' days back, free food, free land, free water... just live and let live. Did those days ever even exist at all?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This seems very interesting and disturbing at the same time. Who knows what they will do with this! It would be nice to read minds though but it can turn out bad.
S&F!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
If we are getting close to recording (identifying dreams) and we are getting close to recording (identifying stored memory) of actual and experienced events, than how close are we to having dreams or events implanted falsely?

Food for thought...

What if they have already been experimenting in that regard?

Dream Subliminals

I think we as a CT community are way behind that of relevant scientific and intelligence research/application...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Yes both good, and bad.

What if we all could see the world through Albert Einsteins' mind? what if we could envision the world in Ghandi's dreams? Would the people of Germany follow through with Nazi party if they knew of what was being conceived in the mind of Hitler? If the world could only see MLK's dream on the big screen.

This technology is an equalizer on the field of conflict, and ALL players up to bat should have it to balance the world. By the time you have this technology hooked up to your entertainment system in some DVR VCR form, you'll have more than likely already become an indirect victim to it by some international event.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
One thing is clear as we look to the mainstream media, government and even religion and that is our fears and our emotions are often used to exploit and manipulate us.

Where do our absolute worse fears reside? In our dreams called nightmares.

Imagine then if you would the Government or a corporation then scanning your own mind and dreams to discover the thing you are most scared of and then using that fear against you?

What a scary and very potential outcome of experimentation in this field.

Chances are if this is already being researched by civilians it’s already been researched by the military for military applications.

Controlling us all through means of mind control that utilize our own worst fears could have a devastating impact.

We truly are not in Kansas anymore. I want to go home Auntie M!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A few things to consider (cross-posted from another thread) that were not answered or speculated on, but should be and are relevant here...

NeuroPrivacy:

Think deeply about a world where others have access to subjective states of your mind. Do you want it? Can such an ability be available and not be abused? Is the asset to forensics, civil society, the military, national security worth the potential invasion of privacy?

Questions to Ponder:

I. Privacy:
Do we have an absolute or relative right to cognitive privacy? Forensics, Security,
Civil, School, Parental -- for what and on whom will it be used? Will we allow covert
use? Who will assume what roles in deciding if the technology is accurate, safe,
proper? Courts, legislature, psychologists, legal scholars, ethicists?

II. Clinical Care
What do we mean by “normal brains” as we manipulate and alter our brain
chemistry? How might we expand our ideas of brain function as we integrate
information technology into our neural circuitry?

III. Human Enhancement
How much are we willing to change our ways of thought, feeling, and perceiving?
How do we balance ideals of selfhood from ethics, religion, and cultural traditions
with ideas of progress and individual liberty?

IV. The Nature of Selfhood:
Will the new neurotechnologies threaten our current conceptions of selfhood,
relationship?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Personally, I don't want anyone in my mind. I don't want my dreams recorded.

There are some things that (IMO) must remain personal, for the person to retain a sense of self.

Everyone needs a safe place to go, sometimes, one's mind should not be made an unsafe or public theater to view...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I.) Hack your brain, get your passwords, banking info, steal your identity...

The solution is encryption which is easily achieved from software, but in our biological computer, I am not sure we have an encryption program.

This technology is very scary in the hands of the wrong Government. Like say, I don't know... a fascist NWO kind.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I. Privacy:
Do we have an absolute or relative right to cognitive privacy? Forensics, Security, Civil, School, Parental -- for what and on whom will it be used? Will we allow covert use? Who will assume what roles in deciding if the technology is accurate, safe, proper? Courts, legislature, psychologists, legal scholars, ethicists?

Such is the crux of this burdgeoning industry and its' applications towards the legal process...and even social outlets.

Currently, in my opinion, such concerns are definietly relegated towards covert/scientific circles. But the Tech will become more widespread in the decades to come...especially when they 'perfect the instrumental measurements.

What I am more concerned with is personal bias regarding those whom have access to these instruments and are perporting to interpret them as a 'failsafe'.

We as a community do not, in my opinion, have the requisite social/cultural evolution that our technology has experienced. As a result, we are going to see much bias regarding these thoughts. Much interaction and a necessary application of education on this subject is required for this tech to be integrated intop our society.

That does not, however, eliminate covert use...which concerns me even more...

II. Clinical Care
What do we mean by “normal brains” as we manipulate and alter our brain
chemistry? How might we expand our ideas of brain function as we integrate information technology into our neural circuitry?

See above. Normacly is at the current relegated to regional/cultural bias. We are going top require objectivity in the future...true objectivity.

Our expansion of such a concern is going to require education...our schools are woefully inadequate in this regard...

III. Human Enhancement
How much are we willing to change our ways of thought, feeling, and perceiving?

How do we balance ideals of selfhood from ethics, religion, and cultural traditions with ideas of progress and individual liberty?

This, I think is less of a concern if education works itself out. Critical thought and the subsequent communication, with a strong foundation in critical thinking, will muddy the waters of cultural reflection. That is not to say that traditions will make way for a more generalized ideaology, but to say that acceptance is a by product of critical and objective reasoning...

IV. The Nature of Selfhood:
Will the new neurotechnologies threaten our current conceptions of selfhood, relationship?

Perhaps. But I think the more pressing concern is whether or not everyone in our society will be able to interact with this technology on the same playing field. If it is yet another tool to differentiate the societal classes then we may be screwed...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

I.) Hack your brain, get your passwords, banking info, steal your identity...

The solution is encryption which is easily achieved from software, but in our biological computer, I am not sure we have an encryption program.

This technology is very scary in the hands of the wrong Government. Like say, I don't know... a fascist NWO kind.

I have at people into the occult and metaphysics try to invade my mind to get information from it with powerful forms of attack. Not to pleasant it starts with them catching your gaze and then locking eyes on you and then they try to worm their way in from there.

You can literally hear them in your mind even though their lips aren’t moving and they aren’t saying anything asking the questions that they want answers too.

I immediately start thinking a series of lies just as I would as if I was being audibly asked the questions in traditional means.

It’s a little tricky because you have to marshal a good portion of your mental resources to breaking the eye lock while at the same time thinking of an endless series of lies for an endless series of questions.

If you do it right though once you break the eye lock and they realized you had enough power to do that then the very first audible question they ask, is, everything you told me was a lie wasn’t it?

Even if they got the truth to one or two questions they will never trust it.

I want to believe that similarly if a computer or electronic device is doing the scan that you would be cognizant of it rifling through files in your mind or attempting to access those files, so once again it would really just be about looking to keep feeding it lies while looking for a way to block the invasion.

Personally I do think our minds are being electronically broadcast to, and I have found that normal household magnets placed on the temples and third eye in the middle of your forehead is great for blocking them.

Just try to remember to take them off before going to the grocery store!

Chemically increasing and tuning up your frequency can also help make a difference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join