It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No $1 Billion Boost for NASA Budget

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

NASA will not be getting the $1 billion budget boost civil space advocates had hoped to see when President Barack Obama sends his 2011 spending proposal to Congress Feb. 1, requiring the U.S. space agency to make even tougher than expected choices about the future of its manned space program

The panel also said a worthwhile manned space exploration program would require Obama to budget about $55 billion for human spaceflight over the next five years, some $11 billion more than he included in the 2011-2015 forecast he sent Congress last spring.

Source
www.space.com...

For about the last five years I have thought that NASA never intended to build orion or the Ares launchers and that they were planning to use private companys like Space X from day one. The whole Orion/Ares thing has been misdirection from the get go.

I'm still waiting to see what Obama decides to do with NASA. So far we have waited a year and there is no new path, just a realization that the planned path isn't going forward.

For all those that thought Obama was going to take us in a grand new direction with manned space flight, this should be a wake up call.

For those that think NASA and the rest of the government are trying to stall our expansion into the solar sytem this should be another bit of info confirming your thoughts. Bigelow Aerospace and SpaceX have both been set back from their original time line because of demands that NASA and the US government has put on them.

So when do you guys think we will get back to the Moon? 2090? Never? What about Mars?

Sorry if I sound cynical but I've been holding my breath for quite a while and it looks like we just keep getting closer and closer to nothing.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ah crap.
That's what I think.
Boneheads.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Its ok.

We can just keep sending telescopes, rovers and probes to places that we are obviously not going to be able to afford to go to, anytime soon...

Frustrating.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Seems like chump change NASA is asking for compared to what about doles out to failing business'.....

Obama, you've lost a little respect from me, again.

And you were so close to getting back on my good side too.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

I like the private sector better.
Have you seen the latest module from Bigelow? BA330?

Check out Wikipedia.
Instead of begging for government cash just travel to the
asteroid belt out past Mars. There is plently of gold, platinum
and rhodium out there to fund space exploration.
Bring the precious metals back to Earth and sell it. Make money
and head right back out there.

I have a name for the new privately held company.
-- Starfleet Command --
Jobs....Jobs....Jobs!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Bigelow is the man, but he still needs a way to get those habitats up into orbit. NASA doesn't sell rides, and last I heard the Russians weren't going to sell rides anymore either. Aparently with the planned retirement of the shuttle the Russians will have enough to take care of without offering rides to private industry.

This leaves SpaceX as the only way to send things up. Unfortunately SpaceX is currently at the whim of NASA, and NASA has changed their requirements several times. Each time NASA alters what they expect from SpaceX they have to redesign and that is what has pushed SpaceX's schedual (and therfore Bigelow's) back.

Plus NASA will get the first 10 launches of the Falcon 9. This means that if NASA wants to fiddle around then nothing happens. Hypothetically NASA could postpone flight after flight until SpaceX or Bigelow or both run out of money.

Currently a Falcon 9 is sitting at the Cape just waiting for NASA to get around to giving them a launch date.

Or at least that's my understanding of the situation.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

It's not a coincidence his company is located in Las Vegas.
All the technology he requires is about 120 miles north
of his corporate office. It should be given to him in about 3 years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Space shuttle 2.0 is on the way.
I wish i could buy one of the old space shuttles.
I like the shuttle Atlantis. It's only $28.8 million.
Place your bid now.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
urgh! at this rate we aint going anywhere for god knows. idk, maybe if they teamed up with the esa or whatever then they could put their moneys togever and shizz.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
....NASA is a front...

......Wheres the alien technology?

..Someone had to say it..

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Timothy Good wrote a book "Alien Contact".
He says there are 2 NASAs. One you see and one you don't see.
In Goods book there is a NASA facility with no roads going to it.
It has gravity canceling technology.
You open a door and walk in only to find yourself floating around
the room. NASA employees were laughing at the guy who
was trying to get to the other side of the room. It's like
swimming in water but not really.
-----------------------------------------------------
The NASA you do see has the Vomit Comet.
All of the cool technology is being hidden by MJ-12.
-- Dual Use Technology --

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Yeah, I saw a thread on the space Navy or something like that a while back, I'm sure its around somewhere...

I know the U.S. Gov. has alien tech, I just wana fly one

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw
...For about the last five years I have thought that NASA never intended to build orion or the Ares launchers and that they were planning to use private companys like Space X from day one. The whole Orion/Ares thing has been misdirection from the get go...

Yeah, but I'm afraid SpaceX and Orbital Sciences are pretty far back in manned spacecraft development. They are fine for the C.O.T.S. Program, but If NASA wants to depend on them for human spaceflight, then they better be prepared to wait a long time.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Don't be to concerned. NASA is still getting plenty of black ops money to continue their weapons in space program.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Space exploration can wait; we got bad guys that need a killin.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
1) What make you think they've ever been to the MOON?

2) Do you people now see how false this recession is?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Don't be to concerned. NASA is still getting plenty of black ops money to continue their weapons in space program.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Space exploration can wait; we got bad guys that need a killin.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by whaaa]

The Darpa - Falcon looks like a great Space Shuttle replacement.
Wikipedia says it can place satellites in orbit.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlos115

2) Do you people now see how false this recession is?

1) The moon has like 2-3 theories, meeting on the moon, the Aliens live inside or on the backside or maybe both??

Another possibility is that it was a movie shot out in Arizona or something.

2) Inflation is Taxation without Legislation. Money is a device used to control you, so you can not grow, only sustain your current life style.

The Recession is controlled...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Box of Rain

Yeah, but I'm afraid SpaceX and Orbital Sciences are pretty far back in manned spacecraft development. They are fine for the C.O.T.S. Program, but If NASA wants to depend on them for human spaceflight, then they better be prepared to wait a long time.

The funny thing is that according to the article I linked to in the OP SpaceX should be up and running with their Dragon space craft about the same time Orion was originally scheduelled for, and it's basically the same concept... a capsule. It goes to my theory that we never planned on building Orion in the first place.

I think turninnig this sort of thing over to private industry is the right thing to do and like I said it's what I expected from the beginning, but we still need a heavy lift rocket if we want to go to the Moon or anywhere else beyond LEO (circling Earth). We would also need NASA to pay for things that wouldn't make a profit or need a jumpstart, like a Moon base going to an asteroid or anything else. It could take a very long time for private industry to accomplish these things on their own.

Plus I'm worried that the private industry will get involved in these NASA contracts and the government red tape will infect and stunt the growth of a company that would otherwise move forward more efficiently. It's already slowed down SpaceX and therfore Bigelow.

Some times I really do wonder if the US is getting involved with these companys (and the space agencys of foreign nations) in order to control them and slow them down. The longer they stall everyone else the longer they have to get a head start. After all, who ever controlls space controlls the world. It only makes sense that we would want as much of a head start as possible and would want to delay everyone else as long as possible. Best way to slow them down would be to work with them.
Ever notice how whenever a country decides to do something NASA offers to join in the project?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlos115

What makes you think we didn't.

All the Moon hoax theories are easily debunked, but that's a can of worms best left for countless other threads.

We definatly went to the Moon. Sometimes I do wonder if we found what we were looking for and stopped going in order to convince other nations to stop trying. "Don't go to the Moon. It's just a big dead grey rock. There isn't anything of intrest. No water there. It's too hard and expensive. These aren't the droids you're looking for"

India did prove there is water by the way, but of course NASA had to get involved with that mission. Wouldn't want them to do things on there own time table or without us looking over their shoulders.

Sometimes I think we cancelled the Apollo program and havn't officially been back because we want to keep people away for as long as possible.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Whats the point of giving Nasa money that can be better spent on developing new weapons and armaments?
After all whats the point of being able to colonise another planet if we haven't finished fighting over the resources of this one yet?
There's no point to having spaceflight for the people in the far future, when we'd rather stay here and gas ourselves to death on our own poisonous gases from our vehicles in the near future.

N.A.S.A take your pick

Never A Serious Agenda
Never A Straight Answer
Nevermind A Sensible Agency

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

When it comes to NASA or space exploration in general I hear this type of thing quite a lot, and I'm glad to say I don't agree with you and can't even relate to this attitude.

Your life must be a constant depressed filled world of self loathing negativity.

Do people like you ever smile or laugh. Seriously, how do you go on with your life when your so convinced that death is all man is good for?

You must be a real riot at partys. Ever hear of Debbie Downer?

If we were to wait for everyone on Earth to be fed and free of violence then we would never do anything. Space exploration is one of the positive things humans are doing, but you'd prefer that to end as well.

A perfect happy world with cotton candy clouds and fairys and unicorns vomiting rainbows Is never going to exist. Get over it and accept reality.

Maybe I should start a thread about how self loathing, human hating hippies are secretly trying to keep us out of space. There would be plenty of evidence for it [/sarcasm]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join