It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This month at the LHC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
www.symmetrymagazine.org...

Quote from source:

Late last year the Large Hadron Collider collided its first protons at a record-breaking energies. On December 16, the collider shut down so teams could prepare the machine to run at even higher energies in 2010. So what are the scientists, engineers and technicians at CERN doing during this approximately two-month-long “technical stop?”

The goal of the many activities taking place during the technical stop is to prepare the LHC to accelerate beams to an energy of 3.5 TeV. Thethree main tasks are replacement of about 4000 connectors in the quench detection system; testing components of the new quench protection system to bring it to full functionality; and maintenance for the CMS experiment.

The LHC’s superconducting magnets are kept at the very low temperature of 1.9 K in order to carry the high currents needed to bend fast-moving particles. At a beam energy of 3.5 TeV, 6000 amps of current will flow through the LHC’s main bending magnets, the dipoles. A quench occurs when part of the superconducting cable within a magnet heats up and can no longer conduct electricity without resistance. The first line of defense against quenches is detection using a complex electronics system that monitors the magnets and surrounding technology.

Good to see them upping the power and getting closer to the speed of light. Interesting things are going to happen when they get the speed up there. Awesome to think about and I think a lot of our questions will be answered, and of course we will have even more questions that we cannot even think about right now!

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This may sound totally ridiculous but would the LHC have the capability to induce pole shifts or effect the weather given the nature of the materials used and the pysics behind it?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i was actually thinking if they accelerated some nuclear or other kind of particle to teh speed of light and smashed it into teh detector, do you think it could cause an explosion bug enough to topple the earth over?

i read somewhere that the force require to topple the earth over would be the equivilent to a planet the size of mars to hit earth.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i'm interested in how much tev can this thing pull? right now my understanding in my opinion of this thing is that it's over clocked as of now and were switching up new things to power it up even more. (anyone played half life here?)

I just don't see why people have any connection to this machine and 2012. were already trying 3.5 We had the LHC up at 2.0 when the spiral popped up above a city.

oh well.

silly monkeys

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Jordan River]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have a friend who is all but finished with his PhD in particle physics. He has worked with CERN and was offered a spot at LHC though I do not know if he accepted it. Last time I saw him was October and we were talking about LHC and I brought up some of the conspircacy type stuff and the whole "the future is reaching into the present to prevent total destruction" stuff... He shrugged it all off.

The interesting thing he said was that we HAVE to find the Higgs. We HAVE to run the LHC, it isn't a question of should we. If the LHC doesn't produce what they expect it to produce then most of our current accepted framework of reality is wrong. When/if they find the Higgs, then quantum mechanics is the grand unified theory. If they don't find Higgs, we have to start all over theory wise.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by episode19]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Personally, I think we'll be lucky to make it to 2012, (some kind of cosmic event), and I think that the LHC is one of the BIG question marks if we survive long enough to see 2012
I have followed the CERN project for several years now with increasing concern
If you research enough scientific material you begin to see how very very little we actually know about the basic nature and structure of reality
When you stop and consider that we are actually attempting to recreate the Big Bang which supposedly gave rise to the entire universe, you start to get nervous. Furthermore it is supposedly the coldest place in the universe, and the sheer magnetic strength at CERN is many times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field!

Considering that the Earth's core is a gigantic iron ball, and that most asteroids have a high iron content, it's like we are building a huge attractive force for all this metal to come to...
And this is just one possible scenario -- there are many others...
I think the PTB know about some kind of catastrophic cosmic event coming and they are pushing the proverbial envelope to develop something that will help us survive, taking huge risks because they know they have to...

Just some thoughts... (I could go on and on)...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

It's not overclocked. It was designed to eventually operate at 7 TeV, so it will be working at just half power when it is running again.

Over the coming years, it's power will be boosted up to the power it was designed for, and perhaps after that it will be modified for additional power.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks O.P., this is the kind of info that keeps me on A.T.S.

The L.H.C. is probably the most important machine we currently have and I await developments with baited breath.

I don't have much more to add while remaining true to the O.P. but I flagged so I'll take the time to reply.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican

It's not overclocked. It was designed to eventually operate at 7 TeV, so it will be working at just half power when it is running again.

Over the coming years, it's power will be boosted up to the power it was designed for, and perhaps after that it will be modified for additional power.

If it was designed so perfectly than why are we already adding better conductors on it? I think were already modifying it.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Jordan River]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
If it was designed so perfectly than why are we already adding better conductors on it? I think were already modifying it.

My opinion? Because they used the lowest bid on the contractors to build it. Armagedon has a wonderful line along the same lines.

I am very curious about what will be discovered once they have it fully operational.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The spiral was not above a city, but over the sea, and caused by a failing Russian missile.

FYI, the LHC is designed to go up to 7 TeV per particle.

reply to post by enca78

No. It's a particle accelerator, not something from Star Wars

reply to post by peri26

There is no evidence of a cosmic event happening in, or before, 2012 that will endanger mankind. None. To think so is irrational behaviour.

Because it's the most complicated machine ever built by mankind, and you find it strange that they have to modify it occasionally?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
nah I don't find it odd to be honest. And about the spiral. IMO no one knows what it is. could be this could be that.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

reply to post by peri26

There is no evidence of a cosmic event happening in, or before, 2012 that will endanger mankind. None. To think so is irrational behaviour.

How is that irrational behavior For someone to be concerned about planet earth? Although their are many whom believe that this machine will not cause any problems, than you have the unsure (ME) and than the ones who claim that their will be problem. You can't really justify your opinion without facts. I know plenty of scientist agree that nothing will happen, even though there's plenty who think that something will happen. We can't be sure until the experiment is all over. Relax until then. The irony of all this is the cosmic bringing of a super machine that just so happens to be test around the date of 2012 is very suspicious in my own opinion. We could of done this machine maybe 5-10 years ago and it just so happen were doing it now. Just seems to coincidental.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Jordan River]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It's irrational if you believe people with no education or actual work experience in such matters over those who do. That is massively irrational. Experts say nothing will happen. Kooks say something will. Don't think the two positions are the same.

top topics

join