It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Many Vitamins is A Bad Thing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
As long as you get your vitamins from whole foods it will be impossible to ever overdose.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
B complex is the only vitamin that is expelled by the body in urine if it is not used, all others are toxic including C.
Most people get enough vitamins from the foods they eat. For drinkers and Rx takers it's recommended to replenish B complex because it's not produced naturally.

Further, ask your doctor to prescribe for you prenatal vitamins, you can get a 30 day supply for $4 at Walmart and they are high grade and contain folic acid. I usually break them in half and take one a week or when I'm feeling like I haven't eaten well.

I just discovered vitamin E sticks for skin. Great for sensitive face skin and healing wounds. And mineral make-up seems better than talc because talc is also toxic.

Absolute bunk. Youd weigh 300 lbs to get the benefits from vitatmins from diet alone. And C is non-toxic. You can take 5 grams a day or more, and only get the runs. If you get a bee sting and your allergic you can take massive dose over that amount, runs be darned. It doesnt even cross the brain blood barrier until you take over 1 gram. Oh and the receptors in the brain they make all those drugs bond too, THOSE ARE VIT C RECEPTORS.

There is no government that is going to outlaw vitamins or control them. They would all be walking the plank.

You chose for youself, but I'll be making that choice for me and mine. You wnat to believe propaganda, go for it. But you're not dragging me to that pile of lies. Even their studies are lies. Anytime "they" find fault with a natural food or vitamin, go and buy lots of it. IT MEANS ITS GOOD FOR YOU!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Allow me to rephrase then: Unless you're dying of renal failure or have critical liver damage, 7,500iu will be quite safe for the individual. Happy?

Sheesh. A shot of vodka would probably be much more toxic than this.

The patient wouldn't have to be in renal failure or have any symptoms of liver damage in order for their absorption and metabolism of vitamin A to be an issue. Something as simple as type 2 diabetes mellitus could impair them enough to make 7500 IU/day toxic.

[edit on 1/23/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

You chose for youself, but I'll be making that choice for me and mine. You wnat to believe propaganda, go for it. But you're not dragging me to that pile of lies. Even their studies are lies. Anytime "they" find fault with a natural food or vitamin, go and buy lots of it. IT MEANS ITS GOOD FOR YOU!

Who is "they"? You realize that research on vitamins and nutrients is a worldwide issue, with the researchers comprising hundreds of thousands of professors, graduate students, lab technicians, undergraduate researchers, post-graduate fellows, medical doctors, and so on, right?

Which is more likely: Pharma has manged to bribe or otherwise silence hundreds of thousands of people in hundreds of laboratories in dozens of different countries, or that the research simply doesn't support your side?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Codex Alimentarius is the thing that is looming, and "they" are the government, leaders and our supposed elected representatives who are serving the corporate elite agenda and attempting to poison all of our food, land, water, soil and are really alarmed at how much of a dent vitamins and supplements make to their plans and to the profits of pharmaceuticals.

This thread covers a topic which ties into this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Girls take on Monsanto

Morningmayan is one of the speakers on this, she's the first one.

Just Say No 2 GMO

The vitamins, the genetically modified poisonous foods, are all apart of the agenda of Codex Alimentarius.

www4.dr-rath-foundation.org...

In the previous chapter, we saw that BASF, Bayer and Hoechst were the principal actors behind Hitler's conquests of power and the main beneficiaries of his campaigns of total global domination. But there is more. Together these three firms owned 100% of IG Auschwitz, the largest industrial complex outside the borders of the German Reich. The Auschwitz concentration camp was nothing more than an industrial slave labor compound for these large firms....

Just fifteen years after they were convicted in the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal, these companies were again the architects of the next major human rights offences. In 1962, they established the Codex Alimentarius Commission.

This dark period of German history is inextricably bound to one man, Fritz ter Meer.

* He was a member of the Managing Board of IG Farben from its inception to its dissolution. As the Wartime Manager, he was responsible for IG Auschwitz.
* In the Nuremberg Tribunal, ter Meer stated: "Forced labor did not inflict any remarkable injury, pain, or suffering on the detainees, particularly since the alternative for these workers would have been death."
* In 1948, ter Meer was sentenced by the Nuremberg Tribunal to seven years in prison for plundering and slavery.
* In 1952, his sentence was commuted, due to the influence of powerful friends.
* From 1956-1964, he was reinstated as a member of the Managing Board of Bayer AG.
* In 1962, ter Meer was one of the architects of the Codex Alimentarius Commission and one of the main designers of the schemes that would profit from human suffering.

The deceptive title "Codex Alimentarius" is no accident. It was devised by the same firms and indeed the same individuals, who gave the Auschwitz concentration camp inmates the deceptive slogan "Arbeit mach frei" ("Work makes you free").

The entire thing was formulated by a nazi war criminal, ter Meer. Interesting how they gave him audience after his release, at the UN and quickly formed the Codex?

Tells me these are people we should be trusting.

I'll take as many vitamins in any form I want whenever I want. Because I don't trust the psychos who run this world, thank you very much. We need to be free from all of them.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Unity, if you'll actually read the text of the Codex Alimentarius, the only thing even proposed relating to supplments, vitamins, and minerals is proper labeling, that is, not allowing them to be labeled as "cures" if no evidence suggests that it cures anything.

I hardly see why that is bad. It's not like they are taking anything off the shelves, just requiring full disclosure to the consumer on the packaging.

The texts of all meetings of the Commitee on Codex Alimentarius are available on their website. Can you point me to the section that discusses banning herbs and supplements? Or maybe the section on depriving us of nutrients?

www.codexalimentarius.net...

[edit on 1/23/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
www.autism.com...
Vitamin C in the Prevention and Treatment of Autism

Vitamin C is an extremely safe substance which is immensely beneficial to the brain and body in a multitude of ways. Its potential for preventing and treating autism has barely been touched.

Vitamin C is heavily concentrated in the brain, but its exact role in brain function is not understood. A recent Medline search turned up 400 references referring to vitamin C and the brain, but the mystery remains.

We don't need to understand its biochemistry to know that vitamin C is crucial to brain function. The earliest signs of vitamin C deficiency are confusion and depression. Vitamin C also improves cognition, as shown by increased IQ scores in normal and Down's children. Other studies have shown improved EEGs and alertness, as measured in a variety of ways. Hoffer and Osmond, in a series of brilliant studies, showed vitamin C's effectiveness in treating schizophrenia.

Most of what we hear of vitamin C relates to its role in destroying viruses and bacteria. A 1995 review by Hemilii and Herinan cited 21 placebo-controlled studies in which giving 1 or more grams of C daily significantly reduced the severity and duration of colds. (It doesn't prevent colds, it mitigates colds.) In ARRI 12-1, I discussed the work of Australian physician Archie Kalokarinos, who used vitamin C to reduce the vaccine caused death rate of aborigine infants from 50 percent to zero.

Get that, it doesnt prevent colds, it cures them, mitigates them.

and improvement in autistic children in double blind experiment. THese are all using large doses, 1-3 rams aday.

Vitamin C in autism? Has vitamin C been used in the treatment of autism? I am aware of only two studies in which vitamin C was specifically evaluated as an intervention in autism. The first was the study I initiated in 1967 to evaluate the effects of four vitamins: B3, B5, B6, and C. We used a dose range of only 1 to 3 grams per day of vitamin C (about 20 mg/lb.), and the C at that dosage level was easily outshone by the vitamin B6. (18 consecutive positive studies confirm the value of the vitamin B6.)

The second study of vitamin C in autism was conducted by Dolske et al. (1993). The study consisted of a 30-week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 52 mg/lb. per day as a treatment for 18 autistic children (ages 6 to 19) in a residential setting. Statistically significant improvement on various outcome measures was reported. Clearly, Dolske's higher dosage produced better results than our earlier study of vitamin C. But what is the right dose for autism? Nobody knows. But vitamin C is extremely safe, even in massive doses, so it would be well to find out what the optimal dose for autism might be.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Really?? Is that why in Germany, they have to go to the doctors to have vitamin C allowed in tiny doses, that don't do squat in the human body, but cost 3 or 4 times more. I think we need to pay attention and make sure, that "they" understand they are employees, ears not mouths.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
One of our British Columbian psychiatrists has long been completely controlling many schizpophrenics symptoms by large safe doses of vitamin C, and niacin. He's been pretty remarkable because when the patients were checked out, it works. The receptors that many anti psychotic meds bond to are Vit C receptors. A raw food diet of lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and high grade supplements, ie. organic, create optimum health in the human body, mind body and soul. Vitamin C is also an aid to meditation and from what I have heard, even oobe's.

www.4optimallife.com...

In 1975 while studying for my diploma in Behavioral Science, I read a book by Dr. Abram Hoffer telling me that schizophrenia could be cured by large amounts of niacin and vitamin C. Having been well indoctrinated by allopathic medicine in my training as a registered nurse, I really didn't believe it. However, I gave the book to my girlfriend whose son was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a young teenager. She also didn't believe it. Now, some 26 years later, with a son of mine diagnosed six years ago with the label of paranoid schizophrenia, through grace, I have come to know that schizophrenia, and other so-called mental illnesses are really biochemical imbalances which can be balanced with dietary changes and supplements. I now know, on looking back on my son's life, that he was biochemically imbalanced almost from his birth. In the past I felt sad and angry that I trusted allopathic medicine totally, without question. Now I just want the joy of telling everyone I can that THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE.

Whoever said it was toxic??? Its absolutley safe in large doses. The only problem is sometimes its hard to find a good way to take it without upsetting your stomach, just like too many oranges. You need to take smaller doses, such as 1 gram, frequently throughout the day rather all at once.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Really?? Is that why in Germany, they have to go to the doctors to have vitamin C allowed in tiny doses, that don't do squat in the human body, but cost 3 or 4 times more. I think we need to pay attention and make sure, that "they" understand they are employees, ears not mouths.

Really? They have to do that in Germany? No one I know who has lived/visited in Germany has ever had this issue. I think you have been grossly misinformed.

In fact, the Euromonitor shows over the counter (OTC) and homeopathy GROWING in Germany. My, they must have a large black market if so many people are taking these "illegal" vitamins, huh?

www.euromonitor.com...

Additionally, the EU Communication Comission explains that there is no ban on supplments, simply that the companies must package their product so that the accurate concentration/dose and ingredients are included.

ec.europa.eu...

And, finally, the CRNUSA explains that the national dosage limits set by members nations of Codex Alimentarius are actually LOWER than those suggested by the Codex. Nothing is being taken off the shelves, nothing is being restricted to prescription only, and nothing is being diluted. The Codex simply sets scientifically-supported maximum per-pill dosage, which is often higher than the standards set by the nations' drug and medical organizations to begin with.

www.naturesfoodpatch.com...

Now, I'll ask again. Please show me where in the Codex text it says that vitamins and supplments are being banned or otherwise having their access restricted. I want the actual text, not an internet users "interpretation" of the text.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...
prevents cancer

www.moneyinstructor.com...
prevents cancer and keeps us younger Hmmm wonder why that might be a problem for "them"???

Free radicals seek out an electron to regain their stability. “And since Vitamin C is an abundant source of electrons, it can donate electrons to free radicals such as hydroxyl and superoxide radicals and douse their reactivity," states Adrianne Bendich in "Antioxidant Micronutrients and Immune Responses." It prevents harmful genetic alterations within cells and protects lymphocytes from mutations to the chromosomes. It also helps with wound healing and burns, she added.

Oh, I see it repairs cell damage too. With all those megatons of depleted uranium bonded to our global atmosphere that are perfroming massive hits to our cells every second, with mini gamma ray cannons, I think we should all go out and stock up. Going to need more than whole foods. I personally recommend between 2-5 grams C a day, and at least 1 gram D a day.

Other vitamins too of course.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

www.sciencedaily.com...
prevents cancer

www.moneyinstructor.com...
prevents cancer and keeps us younger Hmmm wonder why that might be a problem for "them"???

Free radicals seek out an electron to regain their stability. “And since Vitamin C is an abundant source of electrons, it can donate electrons to free radicals such as hydroxyl and superoxide radicals and douse their reactivity," states Adrianne Bendich in "Antioxidant Micronutrients and Immune Responses." It prevents harmful genetic alterations within cells and protects lymphocytes from mutations to the chromosomes. It also helps with wound healing and burns, she added.

Oh, I see it repairs cell damage too. With all those megatons of depleted uranium bonded to our global atmosphere that are perfroming massive hits to our cells every second, with mini gamma ray cannons, I think we should all go out and stock up. Going to need more than whole foods. I personally recommend between 2-5 grams C a day, and at least 1 gram D a day.

Other vitamins too of course.

You keep making all these claims, but fail to provide any science for them. It's all "well, so-and-so took it, and it cured their X disease! Oh my god!". You do realize that there are research labs and physicians in EVERY country on the planet, right (well, other than the few most destitute nations)? You don't think that, otu of the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of researchers, someone might have found this "cure" and published it?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The danger and controversy regarding the codex alimentarius (aside from the fact that its existence is a crime against humanity as it was developed by a nazi. We really can't trust any of these people for one moment) is best described here:

en.wikipedia.org...

The controversy over the Codex Alimentarius relates to a perception that it is a mandatory standard for food - including vitamin and mineral supplement - safety. Supporters of the Codex Alimentarius say that it is a voluntary reference standard for food and that there is no obligation on countries to adopt Codex standards as a member of either Codex or any other international trade organization. From the point of view of its opponents, however, one of the main causes of concern is that the Codex Alimentarius is recognized by the World Trade Organization as an international reference standard for the resolution of disputes concerning food safety and consumer protection.[2][3] Proponents argue that the use of Codex Alimentarius during international disputes does not exclude the use of other references or scientific studies as evidence of food safety and consumer protection.

It is reported that in 1996 the German delegation put forward a proposal that no herb, vitamin or mineral should be sold for preventive or therapeutic reasons, and that supplements should be reclassified as drugs.[4] The proposal was agreed, but protests halted its implementation.[4] The 28th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission was subsequently held July 4 - July 9, 2005.[5] Among the many issues discussed were the "Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements"[6], which were adopted during the meeting as new global safety guidelines.[7] This text has been the subject of considerable controversy, in part because many member countries may choose to regulate dietary supplements as therapeutic goods or pharmaceuticals or by some other category. The text does not seek to ban supplements, but subjects them to labeling and packaging requirements, sets criteria for the setting of maximum and minimum dosage levels, and requires that safety and efficacy are considered when determining ingredient sources. The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) have stated that the guidelines are "to stop consumers overdosing on vitamin and mineral food supplements." The Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) has said that the guidelines call "for labelling that contains information on maximum consumption levels of vitamin and mineral food supplements." The WHO has also said that the Guidelines "ensure that consumers receive beneficial health effects from vitamins and minerals." [8]

Similarities have been noted between the EU's Food Supplements Directive and the Codex Alimentarius Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Supplements.[9]

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul has said that the Central American Free Trade Agreement "increases the possibility that Codex regulations will be imposed on the American public." [10]

Additional controversy has been expressed by proponents of ecologically and socially sustainable agriculture and food systems, such as the Slow Food movement[11], who view the Codex Alimentarius as antithetical to this goal. According to the Manifesto on the Future of Food, the Codex Alimentarius has "codified policies designed to serve the interest of global agribusiness above all others, while actively undermining the rights of farmers and consumers".[12]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
www.blackherbals.com...

War on Health

In some countries, the War on Health has already begun. In Norway, Germany, and Australia, Vitamin C and other health supplements are already illegal in moderate doses, and weak tablets can only be bought over the counter for, on average, 18 times the price we presently pay here in Canada. Norwegian vitamin distributor John Hansen reported being chased by undercover agents for his part in selling Vitamin C above the 200mg limit.1

In South Africa, vitamin distributor Clive Buirski recently had his shipment of vitamins seized by customs authorities intent on preventing them from passing into the hands of alternative health practitioners.

In Canada too, the process is well underway. In the past decade, the Health Protection Branch (HPB) has made over 100 health food supplements illegal, 23 of which are still available in US stores. One of these "dangerous" herbal remedies still available in the United States is DHEA, a derivative of wild yam extract which has been shown to promote longevity and strengthen immune functioning. With less side-effects than a cup of coffee, DHEA has been a controlled substance since December 19, 1996, under changes to legislation suggested by the HPB.2

If you say it's good for you, it's a drug

The Food and Drug Act defines a "drug" as including any substance "for use in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or prevention of a disease, disorder, abnormal physical state, or the symptoms thereof, in man or animal." This incredibly broad definition can be interpreted to include vitamins like Vitamin C, used to treat and prevent the disorder of scurvy, plants and herbs with therapeutic uses like garlic, ginger and peppermint, and even ordinary food and water, since these act to prevent the abnormal physical states of dehydration of starvation.

The HPB has decided that once someone claims that a vitamin or herb can have a therapeutic benefit, it becomes a drug. This means that peppermint and ginger tea would be considered a drug if the brand name or label suggests that it could be used as digestive aid.

It's not even necessary for the person selling the herb to make a health claim for the product. As long as someone, somewhere has claimed that the herb or vitamin can have a health benefit, it is considered a drug. In fact, some herbs have been banned from sale by the HPB simply because their names indicate a possible therapeutic use. Eyebright, cramp bark and feverfew have all been prohibited for sale in Canada, simply because their names denote their traditional medicinal use.

Jean-Marc Charron, Chief of the Drug and Environmental Health Inspection Division of the HPB, warns of the penalties of being caught trying to sell any of these herbs or vitamins that have been deemed "drugs" by the HPB:

"The penalties for trafficking and possession for the purpose of trafficking are severe, the length of imprisonment ranging from a term not exceeding eighteen months on summary conviction, to a term not exceeding ten years on conviction by indictment."

Is a looming threat for the people world wide to have an organization that serves only the elite involved in our food, vitamins and in our farming as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Using your own link:

en.wikipedia.org...

The controversy over the Codex Alimentarius relates to a perception that it is a mandatory standard for food - including vitamin and mineral supplement - safety. Supporters of the Codex Alimentarius say that it is a voluntary reference standard for food and that there is no obligation on countries to adopt Codex standards as a member of either Codex or any other international trade organization. From the point of view of its opponents, however, one of the main causes of concern is that the Codex Alimentarius is recognized by the World Trade Organization as an international reference standard for the resolution of disputes concerning food safety and consumer protection.[2][3] Proponents argue that the use of Codex Alimentarius during international disputes does not exclude the use of other references or scientific studies as evidence of food safety and consumer protection.

It is reported that in 1996 the German delegation put forward a proposal that no herb, vitamin or mineral should be sold for preventive or therapeutic reasons, and that supplements should be reclassified as drugs.[4] The proposal was agreed, but protests halted its implementation.[4] The 28th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission was subsequently held July 4 - July 9, 2005.[5] Among the many issues discussed were the "Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements"[6], which were adopted during the meeting as new global safety guidelines.[7] This text has been the subject of considerable controversy, in part because many member countries may choose to regulate dietary supplements as therapeutic goods or pharmaceuticals or by some other category. The text does not seek to ban supplements, but subjects them to labeling and packaging requirements, sets criteria for the setting of maximum and minimum dosage levels, and requires that safety and efficacy are considered when determining ingredient sources. The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) have stated that the guidelines are "to stop consumers overdosing on vitamin and mineral food supplements." The Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) has said that the guidelines call "for labelling that contains information on maximum consumption levels of vitamin and mineral food supplements." The WHO has also said that the Guidelines "ensure that consumers receive beneficial health effects from vitamins and minerals." [8]

Please read the bolded portions of YOUR link, and then provide the portions of the ORIGINAL text that describe any sort of banning of vitamins, supplements, or other products.

The goal is simply to label products accurately. I'll ask again, please explain the negatives to this goal.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

reply to post by InertiaZero

I used a well respected alternative approach called Orthomolecular Therapy. They diagnosed me with a blood disorder called Pyroluria.

Good clever you. I applaud alternative approaches.
The treatment is riddled with unsubstantiated claims, but I would rather take this road than the road where we know that drugs are poisoning you.

Its a common Chemotherapy alternative, thats why I asked.

Your diagnosis didnt even really exist until the late sixties/early seventies.
The fact is, that an imbalance like that can be treated with an onslaught of anti-depressant medications. But it's good that you took the alternate route.

To everyone:
So in some cases, overuse of vitamins is a healing agent. Maybe bickering back and forth isnt the answer. Balance is. Just like everything else in life.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
lol, i am still gonna take my one a day pills.

also the five hour energy has around 8666% of vitamin b"x". i took 2 of those in one day. you really fee sick after that. you wanna throw up.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Actually, it is.

We know we eat too much. The statistics for obesity prove that alone.

The statistics for obesity prove that people are fatter than ever. And, yes, we are consuming more calories than we used to (average Americans). That doesn't mean that consuming more calories is making us fat; it simply means obesity rates positively correlate with an increase in caloric consumption.

Since the sun rises every morning and Fox and Friends is on every morning at the same time, does that mean Fox and Friends make the sun rise every day? There's not need to confuse causation and correlation.

Is there such a thing as consuming too many vitamins?

Water-solutble, not really. Fat-soluble, yes.

You really have to ask yourself, "Does the benefit outweigh the risk?"

That risk can be financial or physical.

you may take 400% of the daily value, but what your body does not use will just get flushed out.

Thats why you have to pee after drinking an energy drink. The over abundance of b-vitamins is getting washed out.

Sorry, but there can be many factors that contribute to you urinating after drinking an energy drink.

- Stimulants, like caffeine, have a diuretic effect. And we all know how many energy drinks have caffeine in them.

- High blood glucose after consuming a sugar-rich energy drink can cause frequent urination.

- Excess sodium in energy drinks can increase thirst and can lead to a water binge (liquid binge), which, when sodium levels return to normal, will cause excessive urniation.

- Insulin spikes, caused by sugar in energy drinks, can cause sodium retention (see above for effects of sodium on urination).

I just thought this was interesting, and figured I would share.

Thanks for sharing.
Hope my thoughts on the matter are helpful.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Good nutrition and a simple daily multivitamin should be sufficient for most people.

However, I am quilty of overindulging in any supplement heart related. You name it, I take it. Over 40 and want to live a better quality life.

Some folks are deficient in certain vitamins due to health issues. I take
B-12 injections due to deficiency. I usually lose 3 pounds the first week after taking the jab.

Over all, I feel better supplementing my diet. I hate eating certain foods. Especially beef and seafood. Gotta make it up somewhere.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by brilab45]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

reply to post by InertiaZero

I used a well respected alternative approach called Orthomolecular Therapy. They diagnosed me with a blood disorder called Pyroluria.

Good clever you. I applaud alternative approaches.
The treatment is riddled with unsubstantiated claims, but I would rather take this road than the road where we know that drugs are poisoning you.

Its a common Chemotherapy alternative, thats why I asked.

Your diagnosis didnt even really exist until the late sixties/early seventies.
The fact is, that an imbalance like that can be treated with an onslaught of anti-depressant medications. But it's good that you took the alternate route.

To everyone:
So in some cases, overuse of vitamins is a healing agent. Maybe bickering back and forth isnt the answer. Balance is. Just like everything else in life.
www.medicinenet.com...
Indeed there seem to be a few disorders that hinder the processing of certain vitamins and nutrients so large doses may be required just to compensate. A relative of mine has Pernicious Anemia and has V B12 injections every month or so. He got very sick from it and just happened to come across the right doctor who looked into it as most just dismissed it. I remember he had this insiatable craving for red meat (which of course created even more problems) and got pretty unstable (mood swings etc.) When he is due for another shot he tends to get grumpy.. that now serves as a reminder to go get a booster.

Pernicious anemia is due to an inability to absorb vitamin B-12 (also known as cobalamin or Cbl) from the gastrointestinal tract. Humans get vitamin B-12 from animal products; both meat and dairy products are dietary sources of vitamin B-12. The body is able to store vitamin B-12 for a long time, so inadequate dietary intake must persist for years before a true deficiency of vitamin B-12 is reached. Because of this, the symptoms of pernicious anemia usually do not appear for years. While pernicious anemia is most commonly diagnosed in adults with an average age of 60, a rare, congenital (inborn) type of pernicious anemia has been described.

As with other causes of anemia, symptoms related to decreased oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood can include tiredness and shortness of breath. Vitamin B-12 deficiency also interferes with the function of the nervous system, and symptoms due to nervous system damage may be apparent even before the anemia is discovered.

Pernicious anemia is most common in Caucasian persons of northern European ancestry than in other racial groups. In this population, 10-20 people per 100,000 persons are diagnosed each year with pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is also termed Biermer's or Addison's anemia.

Basically yes some vitamins/nutrients may be toxic in high amounts if you are processing them properly. If a vitamin is not working I am not suggesting people over dose on them but try find out if you are processing them properly. I know this can be difficult as if you get tested for vitamin deficiency that might just show your intake and not whether they are actually being absorbed. Some doctors might not even think of such disorders and either send their patients home undiagnosed or end up misdiagnosing and treating them for something that they don't have which can be very dangerous.

For example. How many people are being put on potentially dangerous anti-depressents who may not be getting enough tryptophan in their diets?

www.acdlabs.com...
ryptophan has often been hyped as "nature's prozac" or "nature's serotonin solution." While certainly an exaggeration, these extravagant claims have some basis in fact.

Serotonin deficiency is often a major factor in depression, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and weight gain, to name a few. Simply supplementing serotonin when there is a deficiency would appear to be the easiest solution; however, since serotonin cannot pass through the blood-brain barrier, direct supplementation with serontonin is in fact ineffective.[/url]

I can't even get tryptophan in my own state. It's perfectly legal now and should be on the shelves but isn't (it was banned for several years due to one company creating a bad batch which damaged/killed a few people with some sort of brain disease. (This happened coincidentally around about the same time prozac was realeased..). Some anti-depressents have seen kids go on shooting rampages as a side effect so I don't see how artificial anti-depressents are a better alternative than natural ones.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by riley]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join